Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Skurrio t1_j9o6gp1 wrote

As a German, I don't understand this Unit. Could you please convert it to Multiples of the Saarland, Fußballfelder or Bierkästen?

camaxtlumec t1_j9o7gx8 wrote

It's an area roughly 3.428 hours by 2.5 hours of 250km/h driving on the Autobahn.

reichya t1_j9obith wrote

As an Australian, I don't either. Generally we measure in metric, European Countries is a new unit for me as well. 🤷🏽‍♀️

wanwan159 t1_j9ocy7f wrote

They want to make the area 388000 km²

a standard sized Fußballfelder is 105m * 68m = 0,00714km²

388000km² /0,00741km² = 54.341.736,69 Fußballfelder groß

Skurrio t1_j9od5gz wrote

Seems like Multiples of Saarland would be a more appropriate Unit here.

wanwan159 t1_j9oezz9 wrote

That would be 388000/2570 = 150,97 Saarland

Accomplished-Tap-456 t1_j9q3fcf wrote

Ein Saarland ist somit 346’828.6 Fussballfelder gross. Das sind ziemlich viele Bierkästen!

cronkite t1_j9q96j8 wrote

As a JPost.com reporter, I don't understand this Unit. Could you please convert it to Corgis?

camaxtlumec t1_j9o6jn0 wrote

Love to see this stuff.

ThunderKant_1 t1_j9pjin3 wrote

Normally Australia is pretty abysmal when it comes to (marine) environmental protection, so this is definitely great to see.

AnAussiebum t1_j9qh05p wrote

We're sorry. 🫣

Just need the older generation to stop voting back in the conservatives.

____DEAFPOOL____ t1_j9qtcta wrote

Don't just blame the elderly, there are plenty of cooked cunts voting for Clive and Pauline and a whole cult of happy clappers voted for Scotty.

SneakyCrouton t1_j9r7ufk wrote

I choose to blame Murdock and the media, he's fucked our country for generations to come.

MiloIsTheBest t1_j9sg91v wrote

The difference between a conservative Coalition government and a Labor government.

autotldr t1_j9o30mp wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 78%. (I'm a bot)

> The Australian government plans to make an area about the size of Germany in the Southern Ocean a marine zone, strengthening protections around Macquarie Island for millions of penguins and seals.

> The environment minister, Tanya Plibersek, announced that the government wants to triple the size of the Macquarie Island marine park, describing it as a globally significant contribution to marine conservation that would put 388,000 sq km under high protection.

> Plibersek said the expansion of the marine park would increase the amount of protected area in Australia's oceans to 48.2%. The announcement was welcomed by conservationists: "If approved it will provide a refuge to help the island's iconic species adapt to the changing climate,'" said Emily Grilly, the Antarctic conservation manager at WWF-Australia.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Ocean^#1 marine^#2 Island^#3 Southern^#4 park^#5

aPrudeAwakening t1_j9pbqyd wrote

Good. Some dude was responsible for nearly destroying the entire penguin and seal population. The dollop did a good episode called the horror show of Macquarie island

horseren0ir t1_j9sveud wrote

Like that type of emu that went from discovered to extinct in 3 years

IncapableOfLaughing t1_j9pq3nr wrote

Now if Australia could stop polluting elsewhere, that'd be great.

Australia’s greenhouse pollution from coal higher per person than any other developed country, data shows Despite the growth of renewable energy, Australia’s per capita coal emissions of 4.04 tonnes a year is nearly four times the global average.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/20/australias-greenhouse-pollution-from-coal-higher-per-person-than-any-other-developed-country-data-shows

GreyGreenBrownOakova t1_j9r8p1r wrote

Of course it looks bad when you post an article from the previous governments term.

Australia’s largest coal-fired power station, Eraring, to close in 2025, seven years early

The 12 largest coal plants are scheduled for closure.

cnnrduncan t1_j9pwm60 wrote

Things might start getting better on that front now that the Liberals are finally out of power!

holigay123 t1_j9qehrl wrote

Labor's policy of allowing every person and their dog to open new coal and gas mines as long as they "carbon offset" is pretty much as bad as Liberal policy. Carbon offset schemes are turning out to be one of the biggest failures and scams of all time.

Avolto t1_j9ob0kj wrote

Damn proud

JubalHarshaw23 t1_j9posib wrote

Mining Oligarchs announce plans to extract coal from park.

Indigocell t1_j9ppu8q wrote

Oh cool, now I have to google the size of Germany when they could have just said it in the headline. Because Germany for scale makes sense, for some reason.

BeccaThePixel t1_j9pustk wrote

Also für mich macht das Sinn.

For me, that makes sense.

daumamaligalacuriosi t1_j9qcfig wrote

wonder if the chinese and japanese fishing boats got the memo?

UnfinishedProjects t1_j9pmjhb wrote

I thought the Australian Government only harasses YouTubers?

fugelot11 t1_j9pqbwr wrote

That was the former Federal Government the Liberal/National coalition who were voted out last year. Also state NSW Liberal party was involved with that. Assuming you’re referring to FriendlyJordies. The government in charge now is the Australian Labour Party and had nothing to do with it.

9sd934nfj t1_j9qatre wrote

And people trying to enjoy a succulent Chinese meal.

pawnografik t1_j9ptfn6 wrote

Don’t forget the effort they spend blocking UN torture inspectors.

laxativefx t1_j9rd17i wrote

You are confusing the state of NSW with the Australian government.

jaypeeo t1_j9qmdyl wrote

Hell yes oz. More!

Drunkmonkey29 t1_j9t4nxb wrote

The only country I want to visit.

alien_ghost t1_j9ptavd wrote

Okay, now the Clark and Dawe bit that is insanely overused would be funny.
But it's been ruined through overuse.

NotaWizardOzz t1_j9rp09k wrote

China: So where exactly is this? Asking for a friend….

winterwar45 t1_j9ojf02 wrote

This decision would have been hilarious if done in 1939, Hitler would have been so pissed off

−6