Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nolok t1_ja55e8j wrote

If you're talking about the early month and even the couple weeks before, when he kept negotiating with Putin, he released calls showing it was Zelensky who asked him to do that.

After Bucha he wanted to stop and again Zelensky asked the communication channel to be kept open.

And France had and has very low dependancy on Russia and its resources, our nuclear maintenance issue was unrelated if extremely poorly timed.

gc11117 t1_ja561im wrote

I'm talking about a wide swath of issues, to include statements about not wanting to humiliate putin.

acuntex t1_ja9w7lg wrote

Sometimes in Diplomacy you have to publicly sxck dxck if you want to achieve your goal.

You make yourself look weak in order to give a strongman leader the cutscenes he needs for internal propagation, so he might agree to a diplomatic resolution where he will claim to be in control. Simple "alpha" manipulation, some might say women invented it (whoever has a wife knows what I'm talking about).

In the case of Macron it failed. And while I think it was wrong on the part of Macron to say "we shouldn't humiliate Putin" as Russia/Putin clearly deserves the humiliation they brought on themselves, I won't be the judge whether the weakness Macron publicly showed was Diplomacy or real.