Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

toric-code t1_ja80nhy wrote

This is huge, let's see what the deal actually is. I cannot imagine how it will be similar to the Norway situation (as the article proposes). Probably a nothing burger...

autotldr t1_ja80rle wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 72%. (I'm a bot)

> Rishi Sunak has sealed a deal with the EU to end the dispute over the post-Brexit Northern Ireland protocol, a senior government source has said.

> At the heart of the revised pact are three main issues: physical controls and checks on trade to Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK, the role of the European court of justice and the application of EU law and the place of Northern Ireland in the UK's internal market.

> This is based on a proposal around Norway's relationship with the EU made by the former Northern Ireland secretary Peter Hain and may enable the EU to disapply new laws in Northern Ireland if objected by Stormont representatives.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Northern^#1 Ireland^#2 deal^#3 Sunak^#4 protocol^#5

Left-Twix420 t1_ja80vp4 wrote

Every time I see news about Northern Ireland, the Star Trek prediction of Irish reunification by 2025 seems more likely

−18

Rexia2022 t1_ja8479n wrote

His party is going to rip him apart for this, but credit where credit is due if he's found a solution where the other Muppets couldn't.

[deleted] t1_ja86yjm wrote

Can't wait for the thugs (paramilitaries, but really just thugs) to start taking matters in their own hands and England (or Ireland) not giving a toss again

−14

jamesey10 t1_ja8e9vg wrote

A man's whose major accomplishment in life was marrying a billionaire heiress to INFOSYS. If he hadn't done that, he'd be a nobody in investment banking.

−7

santa_mazza t1_ja932yr wrote

"A new “Stormont brake”, a surprise measure in Monday’s package, means the Northern Ireland assembly can oppose new EU goods rules that would have significant and lasting effects on everyday lives in Northern Ireland"

Does this mean the EU has to ask the NI assembly for permission to pass EU goods rules (because in theory, any EU goods rules apply... well, EU wide...) ?

TerrisKagi t1_ja9kbn1 wrote

So the tories finally agreed to implement the protocol they signed into law now what, five or six years ago?

What, do they want a fucking round of applause for it?

shor_yuken t1_jaal1od wrote

Holy hell, after only 2,440 days, they finally found out part of what they were voting for (or against) in that referendum. Well done.