Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EvenHair4706 t1_jdzlqda wrote

Always pisses me off when murderers talk about how hard it is for them

Ben_aid t1_jdzk68v wrote

You can get away with anything if your parent is a billionaire or a diplomat (diplomatic immunity extended to their children MUST be abolished). It's a well-known story.

foodfightbystander t1_je0fwll wrote

> diplomatic immunity extended to their children MUST be abolished

While it's easy to say that as a knee-jerk reaction, you have to realize that families of diplomats have to have diplomatic immunity. The whole point of diplomatic immunity is so that people can conduct diplomatic duties freely and safely, even during periods of political tension and armed conflict. If that doesn't apply to families, then it becomes simple to manipulate diplomats via their families.

The actual mechanism you want is that foreign officials home countries have the ability to waive immunity in the case of a serious crimes unrelated to their diplomatic role. This is the mechanism that needs to be employed more often, particularly in cases like this.

__Call_Me_Maeby__ t1_je18wd4 wrote

The reporter Nawal Al-Maghafi has stayed on this story since 2008; I have the utmost respect for her determination to give Martine (the victim) a voice and Martine’s family answers.

[deleted] t1_je1m495 wrote

[deleted]

−67

Kwolfe2703 t1_je1rhq8 wrote

A little but on the other hand, would you willingly go alone without witnesses into a suspected murderers home, who has unlimited resources in a country where you don’t have the benefit of the U.K. Police?

[deleted] t1_je20187 wrote

[deleted]

−36

Sprozz t1_je29h9j wrote

I'm sure there are people who thought something similar right before getting murdered.

intoaether t1_je2c2zu wrote

Peter Madsen did this exact thing to Kim Wall and he had even less chance of getting away with it

Die_Shakir t1_je2tl2e wrote

Haha you sound like you would end up murdered.

Never trust your logic vsing someone else's logic when it comes to your life.

CircaSixty8 t1_je4c3sk wrote

The down votes you've gotten to this should give you a pretty good indication about how far off you are.

tuxette t1_je5sz9r wrote

Kim Wall didn't think she'd get murdered either.

SailboatAB t1_je025yk wrote

Quote from the article:

"As a man, as a human, as someone who's moral, I think someone should do that [tell the truth]," [the killer] said in a phone call, [proceeding not to do that.]

Mlpaddict t1_je2fril wrote

He's not moral (obviously) and clearly doesn't think of himself as the rapist that he is.

redmamoth t1_je00cfl wrote

I get that there is no extradition treaty between the UK and Yemen, but can't father just, you know, pay for some 'special contractors' to head over there and bring him back to the UK?

Mrsbrainfog t1_je124jt wrote

Maybe not being able to leave Yemen again is a form of punishment in itself

ThePowerPoint t1_je2lrwf wrote

For normal people probably but for a billionaires son who probably uses the people there as play toys I doubt he’s having a bad time. Probably gets away with much more heinous shit there too

MaybeImDead t1_je03uya wrote

So, I read the whole super long article, and he never claims responsibility, he keeps saying it was a sex accident, so I guess we're just making up headlines then. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the guy, but the title is just a lie.

−55

bkconn t1_je05wus wrote

"admits role in death" is not the same as "claims responsibility"

Title seems totally accurate just by your description, and I haven't even read the article.