Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

StoneRivet t1_je3pigu wrote

And yesterday I told myself I would stop procrastinating for the last time...

autotldr t1_je3orq3 wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 82%. (I'm a bot)

> United Nations - The UN General Assembly on Wednesday is expected to adopt a resolution calling for a top court to outline legal obligations related to climate change, an "Unprecedented challenge of civilizational proportions."

> While nations have no legal obligation under the Paris Agreement to meet emission reduction targets, backers of the new climate resolution hope other instruments, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, could offer some pathways for enforcement.

> The UN resolution notably asks the ICJ to clarify the "Legal consequences" for states which "Have caused significant harm to the climate system and other parts of the environment."

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: climate^#1 resolution^#2 obligation^#3 states^#4 nation^#5

All_Work_All_Play t1_je4lxl1 wrote

> backers of the new climate resolution hope other instruments, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, could offer some pathways for enforcement. > > The UN resolution notably asks the ICJ to clarify the "Legal consequences" for states which "Have caused significant harm to the climate system and other parts of the environment."

UN backers of this appear to have forgotten the lessons from the league of nations. The point of the UN is it doesn't have any teeth.

Srslywhyumadbro t1_je3temz wrote

I, for one, would love to see an ICJ advisory opinion on climate change obligations.

Mr. Benoit Mayer is not entirely wrong that it may not help the overall cause, but probably should have declined to comment given his position or at least acknowledged the massive conflict of interest.

China is not only the largest contributor to climate change on the planet, they are also extremely vindictive about people speaking ill of them.

He has a vested interest in downplaying the request.

Not_So_Mighty_Menace t1_je44g0j wrote

While China is a the largest polluter on earth. The US produces 2 time more emmisions per capita then China. So while China is atleast somewhat trying to curve CO emmisons. The US just doesn't even seem to bother to try