Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

likeupdogg t1_jdorptm wrote

I'm not asking you to believe anything I'm saying, but if you're really critical and value the truth you should take a look through some YouTube videos of daily life in China, I think you'd be surprised what you see.

On a side note, finding any little thing about someone like an "unverified email" and using that to completely disregard their opinion is not productive to the conversation. Do you honestly believe that I'm a robot or secret agent from China??

MKRune t1_jdp85fe wrote

I'm an American living in China for nearly 7 years. My wife is Chinese. We're having our first kid in a few hours, in fact.

The negative view that so many people who live outside this country have of the average Chinese person is completely insane. It would be like if every American was stereotyped into being a MAGA, school shooting, capitol rioting terrorist just because some of those people exist.

In all my time here, my experience with Chinese people has been beyond pleasant. The people I've known, the friends and family I've made, and even the strangers on the streets have been awesome. Are there things to complain about? Sure, of course! Is it an Orwell's 1984 dystopian nightmare full of craven, evil robots? Of course not.

People here want the same stuff everyone else wants. To live happily, have a good life, give their children a better life than they had, and just enjoy what there is with the time they have.

I will say this, I've never felt more safe walking on a street at anytime of day as I have in China. Now, driving is another conversation! I definitely miss driving in the States!

Least_Ostrich7418 t1_jdq0cr5 wrote

Tell me about the Uyghurs? How safe did they, do they, or can they ever feel?

I have something I think you'll enjoy....go onto posts about racism and say, "As a white man, I have never experienced racismor even wotnessed it, everyone is just so pleasant to everyone else. The only rasim that exists is in old books and in snowflake victims"

appsnaple t1_jdqxw3k wrote

He's basically saying that Uyghurs and other Muslims aren't being treated as 2nd class citizens with many rounded up into camps. He's basically saying the Chinese government doesn't control the media and information inside of China or he's arguing that it's not bad to do so. he's basically arguing that the govt doesn't have a massive surveillance system that is also used to arrest people who might be a threat to the political system.

Sleepwalker-24-7 t1_jdouj6r wrote

Ahhhh YouTube, a bastion of truth /s

−7

likeupdogg t1_jdovl19 wrote

I didn't say everything on YouTube was true, but there are hundreds of unrelated videos from different regions in China showing that Chinese people are living ordinary, modern lives. That is a lot of evidence against the picture that many westerners have of China