Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KnowsHerOnions t1_itybxwt wrote

Without googling….guess the rest of the bottom 5. I’ll start:

Somalia Venezuela Brazil Yemen

escapingearth t1_ityeje7 wrote

Really going leave Syria out

goonsquad4357 t1_itygozn wrote

Regime-held territory (Aleppo Damascus, latakia) at least has functioning rule of law and governance. Can think of a half-dozen other countries not listed above to put above Syria (Libya, Niger, DRC, etc.)

yedrellow t1_ityxmnd wrote

DRC is similar in that regard. Go to Katanga and other than getting harassed for bribes, you will be fine.

Unbelievablemonk t1_ityvozw wrote

For the curious but lazy: The bottom 5 are Somalia, Afghanistan, Yemen, Syria and Pakistan. With an honarary mention to Ukraine only 18 GPI points away from Pakistan. Which is rather interesting that a country in an all out war with a major (ex) superpower still safer than the bottom 5.

ooopsmymistake t1_itzg10g wrote

The Global Peace Index is a different survey than the Gallup Law and Order Index used in the article. Bottom five in the Gallup data are Sierra Leone, the DR Congo, Venezuela, Gabon and Afghanistan.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_ityvq57 wrote

[Global Peace Index](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index#:~:text=The updated index is released,to be the least peaceful.)

>Global Peace Index (GPI) is a report produced by the Institute for Economics & Peace (IEP) which measures the relative position of nations' and regions' peacefulness. The GPI ranks 163 independent states and territories (collectively accounting for 99. 7 per cent of the world's population) according to their levels of peacefulness. In the past decade, the GPI has presented trends of increased global violence and less peacefulness.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

Identity_ranger t1_ityicjl wrote

Brazil? Are things really that bad over there?

sinmantky t1_itykhrt wrote

Those capybaras supplying the favelas with RPGs and AKs.

Doomsday_pirate t1_itz9yfv wrote

I knew those damn rat pigs couldn't be trusted.

HyenaChewToy t1_iu08mzc wrote

Lol I can actually picture those water hamsters walking around the favelas wearing bandanas and machine guns. XD

lostoneY t1_itynxyp wrote

Actually no. Since it's so normal to get shot nowadays, Brazil is also normal

Ruty_The_Chicken t1_iu04x9y wrote

No, just xenophobia as usual. As bad as some places can be here, Brazil doesn't even come close to freaking Somalia, Haiti or Afghanistan

−5

ooopsmymistake t1_itzfqro wrote

Way off:

Sierra Leone 59

DR Congo 58

Venezuela 55

Gabon 54

Afghanistan 51

AK_Sole t1_ityk5tb wrote

Yeah, I’ll bite:
Somalia, Syria, Yemen, South Sudan, Libya, and can I throw in N. Korea for extra credit?

I_wanna_trade t1_itzdjom wrote

lmao yeah Brazil is definitely there, never travel here.

LatinxGremlin t1_itzjblc wrote

Central African Republic & Haiti need to be on there. Kick Venezuela and Brazil off

lmac187 t1_iu07v4s wrote

Brazil being that low actually surprises me and I know it shouldn’t.

Shturm-7-0 t1_itytsrc wrote

Hmm, didn't expect to not find Ukraine and Mexico in the bottom 5.

Voidot t1_itzarzr wrote

Ukraine actually makes sense, because they were constantly dealing with russia-sponsored insurgency groups.

NetCat0x t1_itymh8t wrote

You sure it doesn't include Ukraine or North Korea?

−1

chudsonracing t1_ityfxqa wrote

Somalia, Brazil, Iran, Syria,, China/North Korea

−12

Odd_Local8434 t1_itygo7k wrote

China? The surveillance state that puts 1984 to shame?

chudsonracing t1_itykuyi wrote

I was thinking more dangerous for travelers, you can get locked up for breathing wrong and die in a Chinese prison. Although I guess that goes for their citizens too

−5

addicted_to_bass t1_itz1vjr wrote

Are you in the USA? this is so much fun to read if you're in the USA.

Odd_Local8434 t1_iu2ftt0 wrote

I mean fair, but the USA isn't China, in the USA you get locked up for being born poor, and/or not white. In China even the billionaires can get sacked, different awful systems.

addicted_to_bass t1_iu3osab wrote

I think it makes sense that billionaires are accountable when they do wrong, not that I approve harsh laws or Chinas judicial system (the little i know about it).

briefnuditty t1_ityckba wrote

No way Canada isn't on the list... they said secure and seeing as how Canada is so nice they will not only let you in the country but bring you home and give you poutine.. yup Canada for sure is in the bottom 5

−22