Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

isawagoose t1_ityp8eq wrote

It wasn't a waste at all. It made the arms industry all the money it was supposed to, and then some.

torridesttube69 t1_ityxksc wrote

Are you suggesting that the arms industry somehow tricked the government into fighting in Afghanistan? Or how does your statement make any sense?

−11

isawagoose t1_ityxw6y wrote

No, I'm saying that many politicians had financial stakes in the industry, which was a large contributing factor to starting and prolonging the war. Did you already forget about Dick Cheney? It hasn't been that long.

torridesttube69 t1_ityyacd wrote

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just invest in certain stocks and then give the company government subsidies or something like that.

I am not American, I am just saying what I think seems most logical - don't know what Dick Cheney has done.

−10

Vendetta4Avril t1_itz1y7m wrote

Dick Chaney was CEO of Halliburton Oil until 2000, then he became Vice President for George W Bush. He’s considered the most powerful VP in US history.

9/11 happens in 2001, and Cheney was a huge proponent for invading Iraq, claiming they were hosting WMDs and Al-Qaeda. Neither claim had any solid evidence, but the US invaded Iraq, nonetheless.

Halliburton and Chaney make a shit ton of money from the oil reserves in Iraq. US terrorizes the Middle East for 20 year without cause. Chaney pays no consequences.

agoodfriendofyours t1_itze5de wrote

Dick Cheney shot a man in the face with a shotgun and that man apologized to him on national television.

Vendetta4Avril t1_itzf6sr wrote

This is also true.

Edit: he is also an opponent of LBGTQ+ rights, and his daughter is a lesbian.

particular-potatoe t1_itz1lna wrote

What’s often overlooked about the War in Afghanistan is that Bush was offered peace by the Taliban leader with a clear exit strategy after the US invaded. He instead decided to remain in Afghanistan to nation build. Part of that decision was to enrich contractors (the use of which exploded during the Afghan/Iraq wars). Dick Cheney and other Bush-era politicians were shareholders in military contracting firms. They went on to launch the wholly unjustified war in Iraq for the same reason.

isawagoose t1_ityywmw wrote

They do that, too. But when the country is amped up for a war of revenge, and you and your buddies are corrupt and in a position to start that war and profit immensely from it, you start that war.

succubus-slayer t1_itz3zmw wrote

You almost seem to forget that getting a foothold near oil deposits in the region didn’t have some role.