Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nhatthongg OP t1_it6nool wrote

>Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday inspected a training ground for mobilised troops, the latest in the Kremlin's attempts to dispel numerous accounts claiming reservists are being sent to the frontline of the Ukraine war without adequate equipment and training.
>
>In the footage, Putin was seen firing several shots from the rifle while lying prone, then dusting down his overcoat, slapping a soldier on the shoulder and wishing him good luck.
>
>The Russian leader was accompanied on the trip to Ryazan, southeast of Moscow, by Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, who reported to him on how the men were being trained, the Kremlin said.
>
>The visit came a day after Putin raised Russia's war footing and declared martial law in four occupied regions of Ukraine that he moved to annex last month in a step condemned as illegal by Ukraine, its allies and the United Nations General Assembly.
>
>Putin's display of marksmanship is also the latest attempt at strengthening his desire to be viewed as a strong leader.

plumboy82 t1_it6os7x wrote

The video footage of Putin's hug was amusing. He allegedly asked if the soldier had a family, then hugged this one (!) soldier, pat him on the back, and then left like "I did my part, now it's none of my business.".

Denys Davydov, where I saw it from, commented Putin's words: "Good luck, come back in a plastic bag!". Then he showed the real equipment soldiers have. And also how the recruits cheer on the bus with vodka bottles in hand.

ScientistNo906 t1_it8kr0m wrote

After Putin said "good luck" to the soldier, he should have said "you're gonna need it".