Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nezeta t1_iuh697h wrote

How much South Korea is open for immigrants?

The population of United States is still growing simply because of immigrants and that's the only way for the matured countries to keep the population.

Some Asian countries like Singapore is pretty much immigrant-friendly.

​

EDIT: I just checked some stats, and South Korea and Japan are actually among the top countries to accept immigrants, around half of United States. WTF.

Ice_Business t1_iuh804g wrote

How many people are willing to learn Korean or Japanese? English is one of the official languages of Singapore.

nezeta t1_iuh8kpl wrote

And they can speak in Mandarin or Malay. I guess that's why they're a successful country despite the smaller soil.

SideburnSundays t1_iuhclwh wrote

If they’re anything like Japan they’re only “friendly” to highly skilled immigrants or poor exploitable immigrants.

YeetTheeFetus t1_iuhldcy wrote

They'll hire you but there's very little vertical growth if you're a gaijin. If you're content with having an unbreakable glass ceiling over your career it's not that bad of a country to live in.

zerachechiel t1_iui8rym wrote

Korea issues a bunch of work visas to migrant workers from poorer Asian countries and then generally traps them in exploitative situations while having an extremely high barrier to permanent residency or citizenship. Xenophobia is also extremely common and immigrants are generally supported poorly by any government institutions, even if married to Korean nationals or having children with Korean citizenship.

JKKIDD231 t1_iuhxowl wrote

>ept immigran

no way, that can be true. I always thought these 2 were very protective of their culture and didn't really accept permanent immigration. For work, I have heard they accept immigrants but not permanent living and citizenship.