Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

haixin t1_iu1m3jh wrote

PunchFox t1_iu3dgou wrote

Not really sure that finally realizing it's time to ditch your shitty, archaic monarchy is the equivalent to leaving one of the most powerful and prosperous economic zones in the world

vonindyatwork t1_iu4vzkt wrote

No, but Quebec separatism in general is.

PunchFox t1_iu57jcu wrote

I might have misunderstood, but I thought this was just the Quebec party saying Canada should tell the monarchy to fuck off, not saying they should split from Canada. I know they do that too, but not here.

vonindyatwork t1_iu5oke3 wrote

Yes, but also no. It's a bit deeper then just the monarchy.

This sentiment is coming from two political parties/sources: the federal Bloc Quebeqois, and the provincial Parti Quebecois. Both of them are Quebec Separatist parties that want an independent Quebec.

The issue is they don't want to swear allegiance to the head of state of Canada, who now happens to be King Charles. It isn't really so much an anti-monarchy statement so much as it an anti-confederation statement, coming from them.

The brexit joke is that Canada dropping the monarchy would open a massive unknown can of worms similar to what Brexit did, while actual Quebec separation would be a boondoggle for them that would make Brexit look like a picnic.

PunchFox t1_iu5qb4o wrote

Thanks for the explanation. I know Quebec separatism is a joke, didn't realize the complexities and how it relates to this statement