Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YagaDillon t1_iuc5187 wrote

Hey, how much did the US freeze?

lord_pizzabird t1_iuc74xj wrote

The most recent article I could find noted an addition $30billion, around $330billion in total.

This is part of a global effort, lead by the US that includes a taskforce to investigate and tag Russian assets worldwide.

green_flash t1_iud1rq8 wrote

That's not an answer to the question how much the US itself is freezing.

You're also mixing up oligarch assets and central bank assets.

> The Department of Justice said Wednesday that the U.S. and its allies have frozen more than $30 billion of Russian oligarch assets and immobilized about $300 billion of Moscow’s central bank funds.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/29/doj-says-allies-have-frozen-30-billion-of-russian-oligarch-assets.html

The 13.8 billion euros of oligarch assets the EU had frozen in July are part of the 30 billion dollars mentioned in that article. The 300 billion dollars are unrelated, since those are central bank funds. I couldn't find any indication how much of those were frozen by the US and how much were frozen by the EU. Last figure I got is that in May the EU had frozen 23 billion euros in Russian central bank assets whereas the US had frozen 100 billion dollars in Russian central bank assets. Source

Critical-Usual t1_iucnj2n wrote

Now that is a massive amount. Need to start selling them away to rebuild Ukraine

lord_pizzabird t1_iudqbzu wrote

I’m sure China would be interested in buying chunks of the Russia Far East. Russia is increasingly going to become more willing to sell it too, as everyone regionally realizes they may not be able told the territory.

tomorrow509 t1_iucvgzg wrote

The US has a whistleblower program that offers rewards for information leading to the seizure of Russian oligarch assets located in that country. The EU should do something similar. I'm sure the numbers would go up.