Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

__The__Anomaly__ t1_iy91ah3 wrote

I thought Australia was supposed to be a modern country?

BaronVonNumbaKruncha t1_iy92av9 wrote

They're the West Virginia of first-world countries.

EmilePleaseStop t1_iyb0t6x wrote

Okay but if that is the case, what is the Australian equivalent to the McElroy brothers, West Virginia’s finest export?

BaronVonNumbaKruncha t1_iyb3qeq wrote

We probably don't know about them, because I've never heard of the mcelroy's either.

EmilePleaseStop t1_iyb4hle wrote

Oh beans, I forgot that my bizarre niche interests/fandoms aren’t universal again

BaronVonNumbaKruncha t1_iyb4s8h wrote

That's okay. I listen to french hip-hop groups that no one's ever heard of. I get it.

Blackfist01 t1_iyc8d2q wrote

Heard of Alliance Ethnik?

BaronVonNumbaKruncha t1_iyehc5h wrote

I hadn't, but I'm loving it so far!

My go to's are ASM, Wax Tailor and Chinese Man

Blackfist01 t1_iyeyv4p wrote

Then I'll give you another if you haven't heard of them, the Group called Afro Jazz.

They have a song with ODB called Strictly Hip Hop

WBeatszz t1_iyc9uxn wrote

L'Orange?

BaronVonNumbaKruncha t1_iyehwqf wrote

Just checking them out today. Great use of samples!

I listen to a lot of ASM (A State of Mind), Wax Tailor and Chinese Man.

residentsslav t1_iy98sdy wrote

They are correct it's not endangered, it's absolutely fucked.

Kosa_Twilight t1_iy99hdt wrote

It's already fucked. We aren't watching it die, we're observing the decomposition process.

ggrieves t1_iy95uov wrote

This is like the Monty Python parrot sketch.

"No, no sir, it's not dead. It's resting. "

LakeChaz t1_iy96syh wrote

So their argument is that the Great Barrier Reef isn't dying because earlier this year they voted out a hyper conservative party and instead just have a conservative party? I don't see how a change in politicians means that the Reef is suddenly no longer threatened.

MiloIsTheBest t1_iy9xpus wrote

So yesterday I saw someone in this sub describe Australia's new centre-left Labor government as a "centrist" party to the previous government's "conservative".

Today I see someone describe the centre-left, social democratic, Labor party as "conservative".

Can't wait until tomorrow to find out the Labor party is fascist now.

LakeChaz t1_iy9zbji wrote

May as well complain when I call the US Democratic party conservative. Just because you're further left than a party that thinks a 2% reduction in emissions will save the planet (when science does we need closer to 75%) doesn't mean you aren't conservative. They won thanks to environmental concerns not thanks to progressive social policies.

−3

autotldr t1_iy90hxc wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 86%. (I'm a bot)

> CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's environment minister said Tuesday her government will lobby against UNESCO adding the Great Barrier Reef to a list of endangered World Heritage sites, arguing that criticisms of government inaction on climate change were outdated.

> The report, which recommended shifting the Great Barrier Reef to endangered status, followed a 10-day mission in March to the famed reef system off Australia's northeast coast that was added to the World Heritage list in 1981.

> "If the Great Barrier Reef is in danger, then every coral reef in the world is in danger," Plibersek said.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Reef^#1 government^#2 World^#3 report^#4 Great^#5

Throw_a_way_Jeep t1_iy97s9n wrote

>"If the Great Barrier Reef is in danger, then every coral reef in the world is in danger," Plibersek said.

They are!

ChrysMYO t1_iy9b8dt wrote

Are they arguing it should go from Endangered to "dead"?

SukMeDed69 t1_iyakhe0 wrote

Fuck me I thought the new government would be atleast somewhat more competent. Seems like a few of scomos ministers still clinging to his legacy of being useless

Tall-Elephant-7 t1_iy9gq65 wrote

Pretty sure they are doing this because it will force Australia to take additional precautions and the country doesn't want to obey them

Dead_Diligence t1_iy9oxiv wrote

What's the point of denial?

eh-guy t1_iybi1lv wrote

If the reef is acknowledged as endangered, Australia would be required to protect it I believe

ritz139 t1_iyb8e69 wrote

It's so funny.

Is Australia saying it isn't endangered?

eh-guy t1_iybi4ch wrote

Yes, so they wont be responsible for it washing away