Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FVBATofficial t1_ixzwtig wrote

This dude was selling heroin and cocaine with a human trafficked child… He is no way a victim here lol. Read the article.

Swift_F0x t1_iy1cxkt wrote

Use a 16 year old as a drug runner, endangering their life, and yes, that’s a human trafficker. I bet this guy would have murdered that kid if they had lost the drugs in route or got busted.

I am all for legalizing drugs but this guy was a human trafficker and deserves what he got.

CinnamonBlue t1_iy1menu wrote

In the UK, you claim victimhood to get a get-out-of-jail-free card.

PMMeUrFineAss t1_iy0ex9p wrote

I'd love to... IF I COULD

ow12497 t1_ixzpcm9 wrote

I mean, the logical solution to all these problems voiced through the article is, depending on the drug, decriminalisation or legalisation+regulation.

Governments have had their heads up their arses for so long when it comes to the war on drugs, I find it utterly mad that they won't realise the game is up.

FVBATofficial t1_ixzwwor wrote

This guy was peddling heroin and cocaine. We aren’t talking about weed or something here.

ow12497 t1_ixzxvua wrote

Still, in terms of public health, as we're seeing with still too steady progress in Scotland, the key to resolving the problem of getting people away from harder substances like those is treating possession as a sign of needing help (whether medical or services and protections for children involved in the drug trade, wherever they are from), not a prison sentence. That's what decriminalisation is, and it doesn't affect the ability to prosecute the sale of harder drugs. There are fundamentally harmful drugs which no one should profit off of, for sure.

FVBATofficial t1_ixzz9ca wrote

None of the issues in this article would be solved by the decriminalization of weaker drugs. This article is about a guy who was human trafficking children to sell cocaine and heroin.

ow12497 t1_iy00s6d wrote

No, I'm talking about decriminalising harder drugs. Decriminalising is a proven way of disrupting the drugs trade, by reducing the number of people addicted through a health approach, thus reducing the size and therefore impact of the drugs trade overall, including those trafficking problems you rightly mention.

Howunbecomingofme t1_iy14cks wrote

It worked for Portugal. It’s pretty clear by now that hard prohibition isn’t the answer to fighting drug addiction.

Swift_F0x t1_iy1d7fl wrote

I’m from Oregon originally, a state that’s decriminalized hard drugs and that’s Ok with me. . This guy deserved what he got not for the drugs, but because he used a 16 year old for drug smuggling and endangered them.

Drugs should be legal, prostitution should be legal, human trafficking should be harshly punished.

PMMeUrFineAss t1_ixzxduq wrote

Fuck paywalls, booooo

soggie t1_iy0sy4y wrote

That's not how it works yo. The code is unique to your session, not to anybody else

ContributionSad4461 t1_iy0uvg6 wrote

Oh that’s weird, it’s always worked before! What does it say when you click on it?

soggie t1_iy0vxyz wrote

Doesn't say anything. Just shows the soft lock. Like I said, the article only works for you. It may have worked before because you posted the link to people who haven't hit their view limits yet.

ContributionSad4461 t1_iy0x9oq wrote

I’m a subscriber so I can “give” ten articles that anyone can read with my link, it seems like it didn’t work this time! I’ll contact NYT and see what’s wrong :/

AvailableAd6493 t1_iy3dmvo wrote

I was hit with the soft paywall , cleared all cookies and now I can read it on my phone.

AutoModerator t1_ixznk4y wrote

Hi spinx248. Your submission from nytimes.com is behind a metered paywall. A metered paywall allows users to view a specific number of articles before requiring paid subscription. Articles posted to /r/worldnews should be accessible to everyone. While your submission was not removed, it has been flaired and users are discouraged from upvoting it or commenting on it. For more information see our wiki page on paywalls. Please try to find another source. If there is no other news site reporting on the story, contact the moderators.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

olleversun t1_iy2cay0 wrote

The fleet sails again

alamarain t1_iy7eyd9 wrote

It's autumn, not fall.

spinx248 OP t1_ixznmeo wrote

The irony.

−1