Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ow12497 t1_ixzpcm9 wrote

I mean, the logical solution to all these problems voiced through the article is, depending on the drug, decriminalisation or legalisation+regulation.

Governments have had their heads up their arses for so long when it comes to the war on drugs, I find it utterly mad that they won't realise the game is up.

FVBATofficial t1_ixzwwor wrote

This guy was peddling heroin and cocaine. We aren’t talking about weed or something here.

ow12497 t1_ixzxvua wrote

Still, in terms of public health, as we're seeing with still too steady progress in Scotland, the key to resolving the problem of getting people away from harder substances like those is treating possession as a sign of needing help (whether medical or services and protections for children involved in the drug trade, wherever they are from), not a prison sentence. That's what decriminalisation is, and it doesn't affect the ability to prosecute the sale of harder drugs. There are fundamentally harmful drugs which no one should profit off of, for sure.

FVBATofficial t1_ixzz9ca wrote

None of the issues in this article would be solved by the decriminalization of weaker drugs. This article is about a guy who was human trafficking children to sell cocaine and heroin.

ow12497 t1_iy00s6d wrote

No, I'm talking about decriminalising harder drugs. Decriminalising is a proven way of disrupting the drugs trade, by reducing the number of people addicted through a health approach, thus reducing the size and therefore impact of the drugs trade overall, including those trafficking problems you rightly mention.

Howunbecomingofme t1_iy14cks wrote

It worked for Portugal. It’s pretty clear by now that hard prohibition isn’t the answer to fighting drug addiction.

Swift_F0x t1_iy1d7fl wrote

I’m from Oregon originally, a state that’s decriminalized hard drugs and that’s Ok with me. . This guy deserved what he got not for the drugs, but because he used a 16 year old for drug smuggling and endangered them.

Drugs should be legal, prostitution should be legal, human trafficking should be harshly punished.