Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Haitchyy t1_ixs2cj5 wrote

because our government is unfit for purpose

art-love-social t1_ixs8sqx wrote

This is not political decision it is government aka civil service decisin. there are LOADS of companies doing this. I have just finished a project ... The replacement cameras/systems are also made in china - however they have had their code checked and verified. It is simpler, easier, quicker and cheaper just to tear out the old and bung in the new "checked" cameras.

androshalforc1 t1_ixtk32k wrote

> however they have had their code checked and verified.

and what about the hardware? a small wireless transmitter on a board capable of accessing/downloading a harddrive if someone with the right receiver is in range

art-love-social t1_ixtrw6c wrote

..anything in IT requires "code" . The checking is a literal line by line. V Sensitive stuff can [and often is] encased in a Faraday cage

feral_brick t1_ixtvlaq wrote

I can see your security engineers are working overtime covering for you.

There's tons of purpose built IC's without any code to review

art-love-social t1_ixtxhef wrote

Indeed there are, however wifi/transmitters and data acquisition would not fall into that category. Security is is excellence in box ticking, if the manufacture can't explain the purpose of a chip = device not approved .. and NEXT!

While Huawei were fighting their losing battle to show their kit was safe and OK, there is/was a facility in Leeds [UK] that went through their kit to validate claims. *Huawei kit is now being removed from the UK 5G network roll out. Large UK company I was doing work for got taken over by a US company in a worldwide shopping spree, and from this perspective - any huawei kit to be removed from network in a quick time scale, no huawei phones for business purposes ... and so on

feral_brick t1_ixv4mtc wrote

You can absolutely create a malicious microcontroller that does some malicious days transfer on the side, you have no idea what you're talking about

art-love-social t1_ixvkr8v wrote

Yup, exactly. which is why entities* exist that check the kit from the ground up. Any malicious code, unexplainable hardware, reluctance of manufactures to explain = device fails ...

eg the Huawei set up in Leeds UK

blaze53 t1_ixu4t40 wrote

No it isn't.

art-love-social t1_ixu7d58 wrote

..would love to hear of an example of hardware that carries out a useful function without any form of coding/instruction set ?

Further in the context of this a piece of hardware that carries out data acquisition and onward transmission without any code

blaze53 t1_ixu850j wrote

I'm talking about the Faraday cage nonsense.

art-love-social t1_ixuu35q wrote

F cages are used in secure environments - but granted for a CCTV camera it is a bit of a stretch

blaze53 t1_ixuxijf wrote

In secure environments, the sensitive shit is on a wired network, separate from wireless access points. Which movie did you watch?

therapeuticstir t1_ixsa678 wrote

How’s that new guy doing? Better than the last before him I hope.