Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SuchSalad4 t1_ixo6ymw wrote

LOL, I still find it hard to believe because almost every single business program I've heard of is mainly focused on maximizing profits for the shareholders, so for you to tell me that there's an altruistic MBA out there is incredibly hard to believe.

Journey776 t1_ixo845l wrote

Eh my classes were more focused on how to increase profit through growth. They did in our Ops class mention that one way to increase profit was to cut Opex but that there were many other ways and that the Opex cuts are the easy if not myopic choice.

Now every time I see a layoff I just think it’s taking the easy way out.

But I also read Antiwork at work so yeah.

SuchSalad4 t1_ixobqrb wrote

> focused on how to increase profit through growth

If true, I now feel bad that I made the assumption that all MBAs were shit, because I really wanted to get one. I was just appalled by how terrible the one I went to was.

I also would've imagined that Yale would've been a pinaccle of maximizing profits at all costs. I guess it makes me happy to know that there are other programs that aren't as shitty as the one I went to.

I guess, in the end, my life took me down another path in which I'm quite happy in. I work part time and spend the rest of the time farming/with my kids.

Journey776 t1_ixoc7c7 wrote

Eh, I’m sure the stereotype exists for a reason. I also just got my MBA, who knows if like in the past it was all about shareholder profit. I know a lot of the older people I talk to that are higher up - so assuming a majority of them have an MBA - like to say how their end goal is maximizing shareholder profit. I just nod along……. Yeahhhhh that’s not really my main goal though.

Sounds like it worked out for ya though. Tbh working part time and then farming and spending it with family sounds idyllic compared to the office politics and all that jazz

SuchSalad4 t1_ixoq1mr wrote

I'll try to put my ego down and say that I'm very, and perhaps say that I'm extremely, glad you feel this way. It gives me the idea that progress has been made.

Please commend Yale if your truly believe the words you were saying. We need more commendable leadership like this.