Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Drackar39 t1_j1kho6v wrote

If your structure is completely uninsulated, and it's several degrees bellow freezing, sure, you won't be super warm.

But it's the most energy efficient option, even if it's not the only heat source. It's a viable way to drastically lower energy use from other means.

[deleted] t1_j1kj3if wrote

And that’s current renewables summed up in one post - it’s an extra over = it isn’t enough by itself

Edit to add: it also sums up renewables in the U.K. as a whole. We’ve invested massively in wind power capacity, but the reliability of its output is distinctly meh. Many days it’s tootling along at a few percentage of it’s claimed capacity. But I doubt you, me, or aunty Jan care about that when we want to boil the kettle - we want power and we want it now. The grid recognises that so it keeps gas plants online, however, they’re not permitted to operate efficiently and generating the most efficient amount of power they can for the grid, nope, they’re kept tootling along as back up to the green wind energy ready to pick up the slack when the massive supposed capacity of wind generation invariably comes in at a few percent of claimed capacity. Gas plants operating below capactiy are inefficient and therefor expensive - so it’s uncanny that the cost to consumer of electricity across the board, regardless of where it was derived, is based on the cost of electricity generated by gas….

−3

Drackar39 t1_j1kldu0 wrote

I mean sure, energy efficient devices are designed to work with energy efficient homes.

If you don't want to bother "making your house suck less" just throw a unit aimed at a larger structure at your home.

[deleted] t1_j1kmwh6 wrote

It won’t work - ground source heat pumps are subject to the amount of land available and over an extended time period are subject to a diminishing rate of return. As for air sourced… I used to be a facilities manager for a national retailer and the number of noise complaints we’d receive in respect of AC and refrigeration plant would make your eyes water. What do you think the reaction would be to thousands of air sourced heat pumps being installed in a neighbourhood?