Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hoverhuskyy t1_j2b4gh2 wrote

No sh*t...thanks RWB, that's breaking news....

Kanye_Wesht t1_j2d33go wrote

You'd be surprised how many people claim propaganda in news is similar in "the west" and in Russia.

Shurqeh t1_j2d8e0y wrote

Well, to put it another way, you're more safer as a battlefield correspondent in Ukraine than you are being an independent journalist in Russia

Fantasticaldepressed t1_j2bt51g wrote

Honestly I thought it was Mexico

fhota1 t1_j2bv5p0 wrote

Mexico famously in Europe

Granite-moose t1_j2bynlt wrote

They did have a European monarch for a bit

Fantasticaldepressed t1_j2c4iqa wrote

Fuck, totally skipped over that part. Woops. Just read "most dangerous country for journalists" and my mind went straight to Mexico.

Mellevalaconcha t1_j2cfcmt wrote

Don't tempt us, we may start yeeting European journalists just to take that record too, our dear president loves to be the center of attention.

fatty_lumpkn t1_j2bu3cb wrote

Russia is Europe's most dangerous country". FIFY

ThePrimordialTV t1_j2c2t8b wrote

This wouldn't have been news even before the war.

moyismoy t1_j2arnkd wrote

OMG no way! How is this "news" to anyone?

Shurqeh t1_j2d8mlg wrote

Well .. I found it surprising .. There's a war next door, hundreds of thousands dead, thousands dying daily .. and yet your still safer there as a journalist than in Russia

oaytac t1_j2bxhln wrote

That picture is from turkey

FondleMyPlumsPlease t1_j2bujy2 wrote

Wasn’t Turkey just given that title for wanting to put journalists in prison for reporting misinformation?

autotldr t1_j2axuec wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 83%. (I'm a bot)

> Meeting calling for protection for journalists - Copyright ADEM ALTAN/AFP. In a year which has seen an increase in the killing of journalists in the course of their work, Reporters Without Borders has released figures showing 1,668 have died in violence over the past two decades.

> The NGO points to 2012 and 2013 as being the deadliest years for journalists on reporting missions.

> Over two decades Russia has been Europe's most dangerous country with targeted killings of reporters such as Kremlin critic Ann Politkovskaya.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: killed^#1 report^#2 journalists^#3 people^#4 explosion^#5

rx_bandit90 t1_j2cd1q0 wrote

Sounds like these reporters are not properly acting as cannon fodder, russia losses 1700 every 2 days, come to russia and get 2 day lesson in running straight into fire, then get sent to front line, bring your own camera, mic, winter clothes.

HealthyHumor5134 t1_j2azgm8 wrote

Well they are throwing their own citizens out windows.....

008Zulu t1_j2b4x9c wrote

This wasn't apparent in the last 20 years?

Xilizhra t1_j2d4wm1 wrote

If I was writing this headline, I doubt that I could resist the urge to end it with "duh."

pickmenot t1_j2d4eq1 wrote

Russia is not Europe.

baggyzed t1_j2e24ir wrote

It is, if you learned geography from Yakko, Wakko and Dot.

TwentyCharactersShor t1_j2b5dgc wrote

And executives of companies. They always seem to suffer from Windowitis.

rosiyaidynakher t1_j2cn6dn wrote

russia is Europe’s most dangerous country for anybody

SilentNoivern t1_j2bgpcr wrote

Of course its dangerous.... A bunch of their journalist get Window allergies....

DickRiculous t1_j2brkhx wrote

I’ll take “Always Has Been” for 1000.

Nurtle94 t1_j2bs7f0 wrote

More news @ 11

MadDany94 t1_j2c43uc wrote

But at the same time the perfect opportunity for journalists to gain the noble prize or w/e if they can report from there and come out unscathed after everything is over.

AnthillOmbudsman t1_j2cb65n wrote

I was sure either Iceland or Vatican City was going to be at the top.

BOOBOOk9 t1_j2cqjx1 wrote

Julian Assange still in Belmarsh UK.. why?

fifadex t1_j2cqthn wrote

This is news?

Ideon_ t1_j2d3gz9 wrote

fire can burn

rikashiku t1_j2fdrir wrote

I mean, all the Reporter Assassinations back in 2017 and 2018 kinda made that obvious. Hell, it became a Putin standard back in 2000..

lemonpepsiking t1_j2ctt42 wrote

Just gotta make sure windows are installed correctly.

FRedditBa t1_j2d61ew wrote

And why? Because of micro soft windows.

acmoder t1_j2dg93r wrote

Windows & staircases top cause of deaths

ukyman95 t1_j2eyhnb wrote

Russia is not in Europe . It is in Wasteland

PapaOoMaoMao t1_j2ba9f9 wrote

I would have thought Iran at the moment. They're handing out death sentences like candy in an asinine and useless attempt to keep their evil in play.

−1

DramaticWesley t1_j2bevl0 wrote

I don’t think many people consider Iran as part of Europe.

RekopEca t1_j2csd72 wrote

Neither is Russia. It's literally Asia.

−2

borixxon t1_j2d1taz wrote

Didn't Russia on its own decided it's not europe?

−1

PestyNomad t1_j2c9010 wrote

Russia is a transcontinental country so this makes little to no sense.

−2

ZhouDa t1_j2dqcu4 wrote

Transcontinental, as in spanning multiple continents. I don't get why so many people have trouble with the concept that Russia is both in Europe and Asia. If they make a list for Asia Russia will be on that too, but maybe not in first place.

nexguy t1_j2avgkg wrote

Europe. Who even came up with that name?

edit: reference

−11

008Zulu t1_j2b4ujp wrote

Europa, Europe comes from the Phoenician word EROB, meaning where the sun set (west of Phoenicia,west of Bosphorus, Sea of Marmora). Erebo: I go under. Ereba: The land where I go under. Acu (pronounciatian asu) the land where I (the sun) are coming up: Ereb, ereba= europa Asu = Asie, Asia.

DoubleDipYaChip t1_j2b4hvb wrote

I thought Russia was in Asia though?

−12

que_pedo_wey t1_j2bgfci wrote

3/4 of its territory is in Asia, but 3/4 of its population is in Europe. Also, its historic part is in Europe, the Asian territories were incorporated later throughout its history.

DramaticWesley t1_j2bfc44 wrote

Russia (from my understanding) is geographically the northern part of Asia, but culturally those in power largely live close to Europe (Moscow and St. Petersburg) and are more historically tied to Europe than Asia.

LocoDoge t1_j2ax0xh wrote

Three miles between Russia and the USA. Europe and USA are neighbors.

−14

Mrsod2007 t1_j2cfoaj wrote

What do you mean?

Taconnosseur t1_j2cwsx6 wrote

It means buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, ‘cus Kansas is going bye-bye.

LocoDoge t1_j2czbz2 wrote

Russia border and USA border is separated by an ocean. 3 miles apart from each other.

If Russia is Europe, USA and Europe share a border.

−2

TrueLogicJK t1_j2d9hhm wrote

Does someone really need to spell it out for you? The part of Russia 3 miles from the US is not in Europe

tapac333 t1_j2brrbf wrote

Rolf Russia aint not Europe. It's Asia proper

−17

ZhouDa t1_j2d2uac wrote

Nope, it spans both continents, and most of the population live on the European side in Saint Petersburg and Moscow, all north of Ukraine which is also part of Europe.

c9IceCream t1_j2aqmmz wrote

i still don't understand how russia is considered part of europe when it has a coastline touching the pacific. I blame my American public schools

−26

Jugales t1_j2as0dh wrote

Continents are defined by geography, countries are defined by groups of people. They don't need to be mutually exclusive, especially for the largest country in the world.

People consider it a European country because Moscow is the most populous city on the European continent. However, find a rural village in the east of the country and the people will identify as Asian.

c9IceCream t1_j2av0u8 wrote

thanks for the reply. Its just not something that comes up in conversations where i live.

RussiaStoneAgeNow t1_j2ayim2 wrote

Because 90% (ish) of the population lives and originates from the western part around Moscow and St.Petersburg. Its always been based in Europe, and they have pushed and eastwards for hundreds of years

While the rest of the country seems to be more or less dead space

galgenberg t1_j2au75r wrote

The large part of Denmark is on the North American continent though.

Todose t1_j2arql3 wrote

Lol. Russia is now part of Europe. Yay. Tax them

−28

RussiaStoneAgeNow t1_j2ax93t wrote

What do you mean?

Its always been an European civilization, like 90% of the population lives in the western part (Europe), the majority of their population is ethnically European, their written language is based on greek. They are big part of european history and culture.

They have asian minorities, but they seem to be treated like colonial subjects that are disproportionally sent straight to their deaths in Ukraine.

The majority of the country (Asian part) is basically just open space that was colonized as Russia was pushing east for centuries, but nevertheless I see it as an European empire with its own distinct and really shitty culture.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328392216/figure/fig1/AS:683509958070273@1539972881448/Languages-spoken-in-Russia-a-proxy-for-ethnic-diversity-Source-d-mapscom.jpg this map also shows the demographics, which is a mess because of centuries with forced relocation.

https://preview.redd.it/52ald7t81ub71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f576df6fe3f0a94f231595103ab72b9eac5cbd3d and this shows the population density.