Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mangledmonkey t1_j2d1hu0 wrote

Well, you can hold that understanding regardless of how correct or incorrect it is. And to imply someone is 'old school racist' because someone says a word is not indicative of a single race, is a bit outside of the comment I made.

Indigenous peoples are defined as a place-based ethnic culture wherein the people have not migrated from their homeland.

For instance, for indigenous peoples in island nations across the south east asian archipelago, are they all different 'races'? Since they're broadly distributed, wouldn't we need to distinguish them by distinct races? We don't. Not outside of context anyways. Sure, people incorrectly use 'indigenous' as a minority racial classification in areas where there are a large group of what a nation may consider it's indigenous peoples. But, if I happen to be an indigenous person from Africa and the classification is for something like a job application, there's not a checkbox for 'indigenous to what region' because they assume Native America/American Indian since it's the primary 'indigenous' ethnic group (not racial group) we take into account in the US. And that is different in each nation depending on it's people because indigenous is a location and ethnic/cultural based word, not race.

It would be pretty hard pressed to argue that. How about in Africa with the hundreds of indigenous tribes? Are they different races now too? They all come from distinct areas on the continent and often are isolated to the point that interaction with one-another may never have occurred. Indigenous doesn't mean race, even if you want it to. It's location and culture based, it definitely has correlation with a racial groups, but it isn't the same definition. At least, this is my understanding. Not really a specialty of mine, I just thought it was a somewhat funny/snarky reply not really intended to spark a debate or even discredit the other commenter's comment.

sumpfkraut666 t1_j2d5bfv wrote

> For instance, for indigenous peoples in island nations across the south east asian archipelago, are they all different 'races'?

If they developed cultural differences, yes. The biological concept of 'race' really isn't applicable to humans, so the modern understanding is that a distinct cultural heritage can suffice to be considered a distinct ethnicity.

The situation in Africa is pretty much the same: there are hundreds of different 'indigenous' ethnicites. 'Indigenous' obviously isn't an ethnicity but it describes one without naming it. There is also a history of ethnic violence between those groups going on to this day.

mangledmonkey t1_j2dciac wrote

Ah, I see. You don't actually understand the differences between a race, culture, or ethnicity. Jere is a light overview:

1. Race is ONLY applicable to humans. It's just a social classification, not actually a scientific designation in any way shape or form.
  2. Culture is a collective set of a group of people's customs, arts, achievements, traditions, etc.
  3. Ethnicity is a quality of belonging to a group who share a culture.

Again, none of these are the same as being indigenous, even though there is a lot of cross over since indigenous peoples (in a specific area) usually are of one race, may share a common culture (or set of cultures), and arguably may be of the same ethnic group.

−1