Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

I__LOVE__LSD t1_j25e7hm wrote

There are some good examples of mass refugee relocation though. Vietnamese were virtually nonexistent in the US until the post-war refugee surge, and they have since settled and integrated quite well. Median household income for Vietnamese Americans is now $72k, which is well above the average, and even above the $66k for White Americans.

Obviously income is not the end all be all number for how well it was all handled, but I think it's a pretty decent proxy.

NewPCtoCelebrate t1_j25v159 wrote

I don't really see a flood of Afghans settling in anywhere near as well as Vietnamese. The Vietnamese that left Vietnam were educated, well off, and cultural values aligned with success.

AllAmericanSeaweed t1_j27myp4 wrote

I don't think that the Vietnam War is a great example of good refugee evactuation

Many of those "rescued" children were kidnapped from their homes.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_j27mzva wrote

Operation Babylift

>Operation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to the United States and other western countries (including Australia, France, West Germany, and Canada) at the end of the Vietnam War (see also the Fall of Saigon), on April 3–26, 1975. By the final American flight out of South Vietnam, over 3,300 infants and children had been evacuated, although the actual number has been variously reported. Along with Operation New Life, over 110,000 refugees were evacuated from South Vietnam at the end of the Vietnam War. Thousands of children were airlifted from Vietnam and adopted by families around the world.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)