Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Theinternationalist t1_j1v6y7u wrote

I don't (personally) know the answer but that has to be really messy.

• The European Empires started breaking apart at different rates, with Indonesia basically breaking off from the Netherlands immediately and thus may still have been counted "officially Dutch" even though it was de facto separated for years before independence. Even if the UK managed to somehow maintain 0% growth during the war, the loss of India would still be a huge blow.

• Germany lost a lot of pre-Adolf land to other countries, obviously, but there were other notable landswaps such as Poland losing some to the USSR and gaining some from Germany.

• The population transfers (between murders, deportations, and of course WAR CASUALTIES) means many of the countries weren't really the same. Ukraine actually applies well here given that many were kidnapped from their homes, some Russians were imported into the occupied territories, etc.

So while I'd confidently guess the German economy was cut by more than 2/3 and the French Hexagon might have halved, I can't personally say for sure.

wastingvaluelesstime t1_j1vfen0 wrote

There is data on this. It's not really fair to count decolonization as in reality UK and India were always separate countries, linked on a political level into an empire. War costs in the UK took the form of massive debt of 250% of GDP, with really severe austerity for several decades afterwards.

The biggest and longest lasting damage was likely just population loss, which was over 10% in a number of countries, notably Germany, Russia, and all the countries between them.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j1v9hsm wrote

Thats a big uncited world salad to just say "idk"

−8

ahhhhhhhhhhhhitgotme t1_j1vfj2m wrote

He said that he doesn’t know and then gave a guess that sounds way more knowledgeable than anything I could have come up with, relax

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j1wl8xz wrote

Sounds knowledgeable and being knowledgeable are two different things. I am relaxed you worry about yourself friendo

−5

Alt-One-More t1_j1vqwxs wrote

He offers lots of other interesting and related information to help you imagine the context of their economies at the time.