Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Child-0f-atom t1_j6b34k2 wrote

You’ve gotta try real hard to have so little comment karma for how much you comment

history_fan40 t1_j6b9tg4 wrote

I mean I think you can see how many downvotes I’ve gotten due to outrage over that one comment where I simply made an observation.

VeGr-FXVG t1_j6cbf21 wrote

No, it's not a simple observation, it's irreverance. Bringing up an academic discussion on objective morality in the midst of a war is disgusting and unnecessary. If someone is suffering a tragedy, you don't bring this topic up; leave these thoughts in the classroom. Regardless of your many flawed premises throughout your comments, your greatest wrong is this misdirection.

history_fan40 t1_j6d1wj4 wrote

It is an observation. The commenter I replied to originally said that everybody would benefit if Russia lost. I brought up one example of a person who wouldn’t. I know none of us would have much pity for Putin, but how about the Russian families who lost the person they depend on so they could fight for Russia, just to lose? How about the average Russian, who is facing struggles in a crippled economy and a potential split of Russia when they lose, meaning more uncertainty?

It is in fact true that there is no objective “right” or “wrong” in ethics. It’s not academic, it really is common sense. It’s also not “disgusting”, it’s just stepping back and staying aware of the facts. Was this the wrong place and the wrong time? Obviously, seeing as the hive-mind downvotes me without thinking about what I say.

> flawed premises

What flawed premises? Do you mind explaining how it’s flawed to note that we cannot pass our personal opinion of something as a fact when it is not a fact?

Is it not flawed to think everyone’s lives will benefit from a certain outcome?

> misdirection

I’m not misdirecting anybody.

If you think I’m supporting Russia, let me say one more time that I do not support Russia.