Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Bankei_Yunmen t1_j6k5lty wrote

all you need is modi. he can shoot laser beams out of his eyes and crush tanks with telekinetic powers.

oripash t1_j6mg2bj wrote

NATO has Erdogan and Orban, we figured we want one of those too.

autotldr t1_j6jf5cf wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 69%. (I'm a bot)

> New Delhi: Reflecting the need for increased global security cooperation, the United Kingdom's House of Commons defence select committee has called for the expansion of the AUKUS trilateral security pact between Australia, the UK, and the United States to include India and Japan.

> Tobias Ellwood, chair of the Commons defence select committee, suggested including India and Japan in the AUKUS given their significance to the Indo-Pacific region, Sky News Australia reported Saturday.

> Some analysts argue that the proposal to include India and Japan in the AUKUS is an attempt by the UK to engineer a 'Quad + Britain' framework.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: India^#1 AUKUS^#2 Japan^#3 security^#4 include^#5

RMS7246 t1_j6nmin9 wrote

Japan? sure. No way the US would share nuclear sub technology with an unreliable ally.

−5

idk88889 t1_j6k0vru wrote

Canada out here wondering where our invite is....given our massive Pacific coast

−7

TROPtastic t1_j6kp45k wrote

I suspect security concerns with our ties with China are partly behind our exclusion, although I'm not sure nuclear powered submarines would be the best choice for Canada in any case. The UK gets a pass for their Russian oligarch ties because that's just money and government influence.

SweetLemonCandy t1_j6k754i wrote

Isn’t India being uncomfortably quiet about Ukraine? I’m all for increased global security but in the real world concept of “our team” vs “yours”, don’t we want to make sure the players on our team are…actually on our team?

Edit: Sources cause ya’ll just don’t like reality

“For many years, the United States did not stand by us, but Moscow has.”

India and Russia have shared a special relationship since the Cold War, and Moscow remains the Asian nation’s biggest arms and crude oil supplier.

“The country hasn’t just dumped its democratic principles but is providing crucial financial support for Russia’s brutal invasion.”

−24

Buttered_Turtle t1_j6kip1d wrote

They need to coax India to lean more western. India is a powerful country which is only going to get stronger, potentially rivalry China.

We need them on “our side” (although I disagree with the notion of sides anyway)

SweetLemonCandy t1_j6lf5al wrote

We absolutely do. I was trying to point out that the West has been unhappy with India’s reaction to Ukraine, which has thrown into question “whose side are they on anyway” (and like everyone else, they’re on their own side, naturally).

−9

goodnewbadestnews t1_j6lpdi1 wrote

Does the definition of west here includes "armchair worldnews experts with honors degree in headlines reading" or government of repsective Western countries. Imho, it definitely doesn't includes the latter.

goodnewbadestnews t1_j6mwggq wrote

This is just opinion piece from a person who "was" an advisor. Like armchair experts like us, our opinion doesn't matter in grander scheme of geopolitics. Even if Obama criticise India it would mean jack shit.

Even Ukrainian President Zelensky has not criticised India. He even invited Indian PM to Ukraine.

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-polytics/3585856-zelensky-speaks-with-indias-modi-invites-pm-to-visit-ukraine.html?

SweetLemonCandy t1_j6noc0v wrote

I get that you are from India and feel the need to defend your home country but I criticize my own country quite a bit. You’d be better off facing the negative truth from time to time than sticking your head in the sand.

I provided multiple sources in my edit above. You haven’t provided any.

You criticized me as being an armchair expert, when this is Reddit. What on earth do you expect?

I provided an actual, expert opinion, which you criticized as being a former advisor as though that invalidates all his experience. You must be a troll because according to your mindset, there’s no reason to comment at all.

−4

HiThisIsChloe t1_j6k5g71 wrote

Japan is good.

India? No.

−28

[deleted] t1_j6k6qpz wrote

[deleted]

HiThisIsChloe t1_j6k71q1 wrote

Turkey is already fucking up NATO. We don’t need another hyper nationalist ally who also has a bunch of border conflicts.

−30

IndiaNTigeRR t1_j6ka298 wrote

UK, US don't have border issues? That's cute.

TROPtastic t1_j6kos1t wrote

You think India's conflict with China is comparable to US/UK border disputes? Isn't a common Indian complaint that people don't take India's border skirmishes seriously enough?

−14

Mira_Miraonthewall t1_j6kqy1x wrote

Yeah the group of countries that united to stop the spread of communism and protect democracy rejected request to sell weapons to the biggest democracy when it was at war with the biggest communist nation

HiThisIsChloe t1_j6ka6zw wrote

Our fishing dispute with France isn’t a shooting war. No one died. China and India are literally killing each other for a piece of rock.

−23

Puzzleheaded_Ebb9874 t1_j6krv1o wrote

It's not just a piece of rock. Control over that region gives you control over the river waters going through both countries.

With the rate humanity is going forward with over exploitation of resources, next wars will be fought for water, food.