Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kraenk12 t1_j51yfl6 wrote

What does any of that news have to do with mining lignite/coal?

wave-garden t1_j5243l0 wrote

Just a frustrated nuclear engineer venting. Germany invented some of the best nuclear fuel in the 1970s. Had they not been steered away from that solution, they’d be in a very good place right now. Most likely a shining example for the rest of us with a resilient combination of renewables and nuclear.

kraenk12 t1_j52fv50 wrote

We were talking about natural gas here though which isn’t even 10% of the German electric energy production.

wave-garden t1_j52irau wrote

The issue is that Germany is restarting existing coal plants to move from Russian gas.

Discussion from NPR (I’m American, surely there are better sources in German media).

The plan is that they will operate through the winter and profits will be used to build more renewable generation. As an energy person, I am HIGHLY skeptical. Even with more renewables, the situation will likely be similar next winter and thereafter. They’re doing the best they can in a situation that was totally avoidable. I would say the same about my country, though the circumstances are different.

kraenk12 t1_j52ja4y wrote

“The issue is that Germany is restarting existing coal plants to move from Russian gas.“

I can only imagine that as a bridge situation and as I said, gas is only a very small fraction of Germany’s power production anyway.