Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

A-Rusty-Cow t1_j6flx7d wrote

Yeah someone who is mentally unstable.

−5

Jorgwalther t1_j6fmcgd wrote

I was going to say lower-income, since that is measurable

frosthowler t1_j6g3tl1 wrote

Lower income, lower education, inevitably leads to simple-minded thinking that veers to the right. Right-wing strongmen say things that 'make sense', that 'we've all been thinking', and whatever, and that attracts the layman that thought about those things but lack the mental acumen to think about how the proposed 'solutions' will play out.

Too many non-English speaking people in Britain? Leave the EU, I'm sure that'll curtail immigration. Terror attacks against civilians? Send more forces into Jenin, terrorism will decrease next year for sure, this year was a bust, but yeah, for sure next year. Brown people stealing er jerbs? Build a wall, wow, I'm a fucking genius, nobody else ever considered that, problem solved!

The sad thing is that the left-wing are clueless on how to actually approach the problem, too. Oh yes, let's simply ignore or otherwise create some excuse for why non-assimilating/non-integrating foreigners are perfectly okay and will have no long-term repercussions like every century of history has taught us. Oh yes, of course raiding Jenin wouldn't help, so let's just leave the West Bank, I'm sure unlike Gaza this time it will work out, I'm sure even though there was terrorism before '67, before even '48, for some reason terrorism will stop if we just end the occupation. Of course the flow of illegal immigrants is perfectly fine and has no socioeconomic consequences, you're just racist.

Both sides are utterly clueless. It's not a universal truth, but most things, including all aforementioned issues, come down to socio-economic problems.

Foreigners will have no reason to come to your country if they have no reason to leave theirs. Palestinians wouldn't dare join jihadist organizations if they actually had something they cared enough about to fear losing. Illegal immigrants would have no reason to go to the United States if Mexico's situation was peaceful and stable, wrt the drug war and cartels.

The solution to the first isn't leaving the EU: the solution is the EU. The solution to the second isn't increasing forces or leaving them, it's proper state-building and control of education, religious, and financial institutions a la post-WW2 era occupations that created the modern states of Germany and Japan. The solution to the third is solving the Mexican cartel problem, not building a decorative wall.

Chartax t1_j6i9pgr wrote

The left has plenty of great solutions to problems. However those solutions won’t be even slightly entertained for a moment because they would disrupt the status quo, and more importantly, would lead to those in power losing that power.

The only ideas that the left can offer that fits within mainstream politics are to try to reduce the suffering a bit.

frosthowler t1_j6ialou wrote

The left has no solution to the aforementioned 3 problems. The right-wing don't have solutions either. Both sides just have feel-good solutions for their demographic--for the left, since they're targeting a more educated crowd, it's less of a 'feel-good' and more of a 'feel-superior' as it employs policies that make the demographic feel good to 'know' that your side is good and the other side is evil.

Both sides not only politically benefit from the problem, but also a real solution--addressing the core of the problem--would be quite unpopular for both left and right.

Who in Britain wants to invest in infrastructure and economy of Poland? Neither left nor right. Who wants to dismantle the corrupt PA and take responsibility of Jenin, Ramallah, and so on? Neither left nor right. Who wants to get involved with Mexico's cartels? Neither left nor right.

Chartax t1_j6ibx3c wrote

I’m not sure which “left” you’re referring to, but the left in general does have solutions to these problems, you just don’t know them, I guess.

If you’re referring to political parties then that’s exactly what I mean. There is no real left wing political party in British politics

frosthowler t1_j6ictkp wrote

I'm curious to know what the solutions proposed are? Which issue are you talking about? The only one I can imagine having a proposed left-wing solution is the U.S-Mexican illegal immigrants one, but what solution is exactly proposed? I am only familiar with 'head-in-the-sand' solutions and hail-mary solutions that do not stand the test of ever working in history.