Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ssepaulette t1_j6h1qyo wrote

Soledar has pretty big strategic implications though. The salt mine allows men, equipment and ammo to be housed and transported safely.

Provides an important springboard to cut supply routes to Bakhmut and Siversk, and the link between the 2 frontline cities. As we are speaking, Bakhmut is dangerously close to being encircled and if the Russians tighten the noose around the city successfully, a significant force of Ukraine’s best troops could get cut off and potentially destroyed, leaving a big hole in the front.

If that happens, Ukraine can forget about retaking any territories ever again, even with the western tanks. People need to understand the harsh reality.

Midnight2012 t1_j6hohcn wrote

They arnt using the mines like underground roads. I think you have the wrong idea.

MrHazard1 t1_j6hjr8x wrote

So if they close off the mine and fortify their flanks, they can hold out and kill a lot more russian meat being thrown at them until they need to retreat those good troops a bit further back, where they can continue the fight.

I don't think russia will be able to maintain the pressure for long enough, until they need to start drawing children and the pressure in kremlin starts to rise. Play the long game and make them pay heavily for every cm they get. And when they have it, come back with better NATO equipment and trained soldiers

−4

bfhurricane t1_j6hq4my wrote

The long game is more beneficial to Russia than Ukraine. They have more men and material to draw out a long conflict. That’s why Ukraine wants to (and must) win this decisively soon.