Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

onlinesens t1_j67ivzl wrote

“Ukrainian foreign ministry spokesman Oleg Nikolenko, writing on Facebook, said Orban had told reporters that Ukraine was a no man's land and compared it to Afghanistan.”

From the article

Pira_ t1_j67rc2i wrote

Yeah, I mean, I'm definitely not a fan of Orban's government, but "Reuters writing about a spokesman writing that Orban told a guy that Ukraine = Afghanistan" isn't the most reliable of sources, especially because I can't find any other proof that that happened - I watched yesterday's interview and he said nothing about it
At one point last year Ukraine even accused Hungary of knowing about the Russian invasion beforehand, and that they would have offered Carpathian Ruthenia had Hungary cooperated

So, on the one hand, yes, Orban is a national populist with that sprinkle of 1910 irredentism that is constantly worrying the rest of Europe, on the other hand it is also true that there is a 30-year-old controversy over the teaching of Hungarian to the minority in western Ukraine. Read that as - the two countries don't have the friendliest of relations

In my opinion Hungary is what's holding European cooperation back, but someone in a righteous mind shouldn't result in unconfirmed or fake news to prove their point

I simply think that these kind allegations need to have more solid foundations before we can deem them as true pieces of news