Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

-wnr- t1_j6j68bo wrote

The article in its entirely is:

>Britain has called for an overseeing body similar to NATO to ensure security in the Indo-Pacific.

>The chair of the UK’s defence select committee has suggested the AUKUS agreement, a trilateral agreement between Australia, the United Kingdom, and the US that would expand to include India and Japan.

Kinda hard to spot between the torrent of ads, but it's there.

Also, I just don't see India joining up. Despite what the UK is saying, India is not an ally to the west. It has always loudly proclaimed itself a non-aligned nation. At best it would be a situation like Turkey, where they get membership because of geopolitical importance, but don't really give a crap about the interests of their allies.

Reselects420 t1_j6jrirr wrote

India is already a part of Quad (India, US, Aus, Japan), but the UK is missing from that. India is also running military exercises with some major western countries, but hasn’t signed any mutual defence pact. They won’t join an alliance that requires that anytime soon.

TBLwarrior t1_j6ktm41 wrote

Their neighbor being China, may eventually encourage them to be more of an Ally than they would prefer to be. I’m not that educated on the topic. But at some point, India will have to choose between buying oil/gas from Russia and being backed by the west against China. India is set for exponential growth if they play their cards right. I’m sure someone more educated would be able to extrapolate more fluently what I’m trying to say

broyoyoyoyo t1_j6kx0rp wrote

That'll never happen because India doesn't see itself as needing Western backing against China. The two countries are both nuclear armed and will never go to open war with each other. They'll experience exponential growth even without direct Western political backing. Really the only thing standing in their way is themselves, in the form of their Hindu hardliners like Modi that prioritize power and authoritarianism over economic growth. Honestly I forsee India continuing to be a growing thorn in the side of Western foreign policy in the Indo-Pacific.