Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Unite-y t1_iqr7ua7 wrote

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the concept or the construction.

Spac3xJ3sus t1_iqrv72p wrote

came here to say this. the time it would take to not only set all of this up, but having to make it look right in the shadow and constantly being unable to actually see your adjustment until you step back, don't like it, go back in and adjust, back up to view, i mean so fucking tedious it's unimaginable. It takes serious talent to do something like this.

GETitOFFmeNOW t1_iqsgu27 wrote

98% of this talent is in thinking up the concept. Very well-done.

Raul_Coronado t1_iqu3ljc wrote

Ideas and concepts are dime a dozen

−2

GETitOFFmeNOW t1_iqwll2y wrote

Not in fine art it isn't. Presentation is nothing without it. It's the biggest differentiator between fine art and other arts.

fuckdonaldtrump7 t1_iqumwfx wrote

I imagine there is a plastic piece cut out like the silhouette and the press garbage up against it but I have no idea

miaaWRLD t1_iqr74xr wrote

Impressive that they could make a literal pile of trash project a readable imagine

scruffywarhorse t1_iqsytfq wrote

Didn’t they cheat? I think there’s a small wide casting light behind the pile being blocked by an actual shadow creating cut out. The trash blocks the large light in front from flooding the cut out space, creating the illusion that this pile of trash is to readable humans. That’s just my guess.

AdvonKoulthar t1_iqt68ro wrote

Yeah, I don’t see any holes in the pile for the light spot between the two heads.

derpdee63 t1_iquvmry wrote

That’s weird, because I am definitely seeing a hole in the pile for the light spot between the two heads.

awfullotofocelots t1_iqtc1x1 wrote

It's only slightly less impressive if they cheated with the more than one light.

SaladandPeace t1_iquv65z wrote

Don’t think so. If you look closely at the top part, you can recognise the figures. Hole isn’t visible because we aren’t looking from the light.

If there was a light behind it, the trash wouldn’t be so bright. The picture would barely show the trash and only see tgz light behind it. Also, for it to get sharp edges from a cut out and still have it that big, that has to be a big cut out with massive space.

Physics don’t check out for cheating.

Also, we are talking about artists. Some of them will work a year on one art piece. Don’t underestimate them lol.

scruffywarhorse t1_iqvm717 wrote

1. You may be right.
  2. I’m saying there is a light source hitting the trash and also a light source behind the trash. (Possibly!)
  3. I am an artist.

SaladandPeace t1_iqzgkzc wrote

In case of 2, you’d see a difference in the darkness of the shadow if that was the case.

For 3, me too, I would never have that patience though, lol

scruffywarhorse t1_ir1kq38 wrote

But I do see a difference in the darkness of the shadow.look over the right lower figure.

SaladandPeace t1_ir1q8f5 wrote

You’re right. I stand corrected. Still believe that it’s not fake though, but it might be

Denziloshamen t1_iqv1vhk wrote

No way that shadow is coming from that pile of rubbish. There must be a second projector to create the shadow. Real shame because there’s artists genuinely able to create working shadow works who don’t make it into galleries.

Puffy_Manivesto t1_iqv42p6 wrote

I saw the exhibit in person. There was only one light per installation. There was at least a dozen other installations, all with just one light. I walked as far in as I could to see.

Esco-Alfresco t1_iqrw2k3 wrote

The pissing one is also classic.

It is a tongue in cheek series of works. Living in a low brow way is trashy. But so is living in a way that produces so much waste. Our consumerist society. We know we can do better but we fuck up everything anyway. Barely in mind this is in the late 1

Our capitalist culture also judges people by the products they consume. Here they are what they ate. kfc makes me feel gross but I still eat it. Our trash never goes away. We just hide it. Do rich people make better trash? And our trash is trashy. Culture.

https://enviromentalart.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/tim-noble-and-sue-webster-dirty-white-trash/

unjadedview t1_iqsb634 wrote

amazing. I cant wrap my head around the woman peeing

Esco-Alfresco t1_iqsorj9 wrote

Better than wrapping a woman peeing around your head I suppose.

Yeah it's amazing. The the experience would be being there. And seeing the angle for the light and the distance etc and I slowing better feel for what it making what shape.

If it were me I'd trace my shape on the wall. Lock the la p in place and slowly fill out the shape by seeing what canake the right shape and how to get it there. It is super impressive how accurate and detailed it is. And how original the technique is. Even before you get into the concept of using garbage of things that were consuming while making the work. Which takes it to the level of genius social commentary to me. a classic body of body.

glynch77 t1_iqqwjs3 wrote

I used to clean houses with my junk haul business. Cleaned many houses that looked like this all the way throughout.

[deleted] t1_iqqjox2 wrote

[removed]

Unite-y t1_iqr922n wrote

Because the people in the shadows represent "white trash" (drinking/smoking/ratty clothes/bad haircuts/sitting on the ground). For those who don't know American slang, "white trash" is a slang term and you can't interchange the word white with other colors because it wouldn't make sense.

[deleted] t1_iqqy11t wrote

[deleted]

the_god_o_war t1_iqr7i10 wrote

Pre woke post opioid crisis lol, thats why it's labeled that lol

Esco-Alfresco t1_iqrtqub wrote

Post crack you mean. Opioid crisis is very recent. And both are American. I wouldn’t be surprise if they are European artists.

Anyway it’s called that because it is made from the garbage they produce in a week or two. The culture of consuming and making waste is trashy. Just like drinking and smoking and other behaviours can be.

It is a joke. But also a statement on the unseen waste of our lifestyles.

LadyCardinal t1_iqr2p59 wrote

It's interesting people seem to be taking this as a race thing (as in, "white people are trash," I guess) instead of a class thing. Poor white people in the U.S. are sometimes called "white trash." This may in some way be meant as a commentary on that.

Esco-Alfresco t1_iqrt2z8 wrote

Because they artists are white. And the art is made out of the trash from what they consumed over a month or so. I can’t remember the exact themes but it has an obvious innate feeling when you know it is from what they consumed that it is sort of tying today the junk we consume and the junk we produce from consuming and how that is part of our culture. A trashy part of our culture. The title is likely a bit tongue in cheek. Like you are what you eat, and he we are depicted by our trash.

You can look up if you want the answer in the artists words. *6 months trash. If it helps there are also trash shadow statues like this in the set of them pissing on the ground. Which is a trashy behaviour.

chiyoli t1_iqr90ip wrote

Because it’s a self portrait of the two artists who made it who were also both white.

uninvitedfriend t1_iqrhdmm wrote

"White trash/poor white trash" has long been a derogatory phrase for lower class white people. While calling someone trash is a general insult, there's not really another specificied version of trash that is a standardly used insulting phrase.

[deleted] t1_iqrdjyq wrote

[removed]

Asterose t1_iqre713 wrote

I think it's angle and having only one poor quality picture. This is essentially a sculpture, and like most sculptures it is meant to be seen in three dimensions from multiple agles; not a single low-res photo. The artists' sculptures were made in the 90's so that is why the photos are so bad.

Search the artists or this work title and you'll see they did a lot of literally-trash sculpture-and-shadow-play like this. One warning, at least one is head portraits made with dildos.

Spac3xJ3sus t1_iqrvt9h wrote

rude. first of all, saying the project is just projecting the shadow and the shadow isn't a shadow of the trash, is simply false, and denies credit to the artists. You also aren't going to see the physical structure of people in the trash, because it's set at varying degree's from front to back in order to create the shadow. If you'll look a little closer, the stick holding what looks like a cigarette is in the back, but whatever piece of trash they used to make the hand is closer to the front.

It's not bad picture quality, you just have no critical viewing skills and don't know how to appreciate a true work of art when you see it, nor understand the tremendous amount of effort involved in the task of creating something like this.

proxyproxyomega t1_iqrn0pi wrote

... that's actually a clever idea. most people would give the benefit of the doubt. you should become an artist.

Mvd75 t1_iqrpiar wrote

One man's trash is another artist's exhibit.

BlinkRL t1_iqszllm wrote

I want it to be real but how is there a gap between their necks/legs?

derpdee63 t1_iquw78s wrote

If you look you can see the actual gaps in the trash “pile”. It’s not a completely solid pile, though it’s designed to look that way

Enshakushanna t1_iqta73d wrote

the more you look at it the more you see its faked, but i guess thats high class art for ya these days

−14

Puffy_Manivesto t1_iqspgju wrote

I saw this exhibit at Boston MFA back in the day, it was amazing.

Sculpted_Sunrise t1_iqr9osd wrote

I really like this piece! I'm considering starting a sculpture from trash myself, what did you use as the foundation?

Asterose t1_iqrf6wn wrote

The artists made this in the 90's so you'll have to do a bit of hunting to see if they're still able to be contacted. They did a lot of sculptures like this (at least one involves dildos, so not entirely SFW).

The age also explains why the photos are so bad!

cyankitten t1_iqsh51o wrote

At first look I thought but it’s just a pile of literal trash? And then I saw the shadows and I am like oh my God that is amazing art how they did that! 🤩😍

Safe_Mouse591 t1_iqukzl3 wrote

even trash has a purpose if viewed in the correct light.

Leafylemur t1_iquos6t wrote

Have you watched that “Bad Guys” movie recently?

RiD_JuaN t1_iqsiatu wrote

this is just excellent especially after that lame ass scribble that I saw earlier

PPSTICKX t1_iqsyd1v wrote

Wait THIS IS REAL!?! Holy shit this is the best sculpture of all time

Cermonto t1_iqt06jk wrote

I was thinking "I really hope people didn't just put trash in a corner and it slowly just got called an piece of art"

then I saw the shadow, that's pretty cool to see someone do this!

Cat_In_The_Cloud42 t1_iqrnoy8 wrote

Wow, that is a powerful art statement that you had created. I like it.

TheArmed501st t1_iqtybr9 wrote

Didnt this get thrown away thinking it was real trash?

wise_gamer t1_iqu42ra wrote

Some modern art that's actually good! I love it!

LilyGaming t1_iqu986k wrote

It’s impressive they can make a sculpture that’s just garbage but looks like something in the shadows

spiritedretention t1_iquo8cu wrote

That really shocked me. I did love that kind of creativity. So impressed.

Melancholy_Mallard t1_iqs2bla wrote

ITT: People who can't google and don't understand shadows and way too many people triggered by "white trash". I'm amazed at how triggering a 20+ year old artwork seems to be.

If you're joining us from r/all this is your free pass to skip the comments and have a good rest of your day. Seriously, you've been warned.

[deleted] t1_iqt9box wrote

[removed]

pese26 t1_iqsb05g wrote

Strong imagery of tom sawyer and huckleberry finn

Heliocentrist t1_iqsk8y4 wrote

when you're both total trash, but you luv each other

Rottenfink t1_iqst0k5 wrote

Astonishing how many times this gets posted

iris_sofiadou t1_iqtd2w5 wrote

i love this so much. not just the setting, lighting and colours but also the meaning behind it

MiamiVice7777 t1_iqthi41 wrote

That would make an amazing album cover

Raze42 t1_iqtj4mh wrote

Imagine if you used any other color to describe this.

Theejg t1_iqtk4tw wrote

Wonder how long that took?

NeVMmz t1_iqupnj0 wrote

Ahem* is that a live bird?

beobabski t1_iquqkiw wrote

Is there a technical term for a piece which is repugnant and ugly, but which uses a clever mechanism to show something unexpected?

geo_gan t1_iqv2fla wrote

I love this. Really hammers home the point of every pretentious self centred twat causally (casually but I will leave that autocorrect mistake in because it is also true) going about their (middle?) class life and just producing tons of waste in environment without a second thought about it. Multiply those two by a couple of billion and can see how the Earth is being destroyed.

EasyDimension7713 t1_iqvhr3h wrote

very good idea and very colorful. I like the meli-melo on floor

sakaay2 t1_iqsblbo wrote

is this real or fake ?this is the first time i see something like this and looks pretty unrealistic to me,where are the gaps in the shadows

−1

NullOpenZzz t1_iqtcmif wrote

My theory is that there are multiple lights casting shadows. Look at the angle of the gulls shadows compared to that of the pile of trash.

The lighting is probably quite complex and the viewing angle is slim.

CorValidum t1_iqtbwkq wrote

Well this is trash…. Not the trash trash but what they did is trash!!! Ok enough of trash…. Where is that thing in the middle of their heads projecting??? That piece of trash revealed that this is fake and trash… Art is trash…

−4

Gabbstarr t1_iqtn0co wrote

why is it “white” trash? why not black trash?

−4

JasonRoseEh t1_iqs56ey wrote

Modern art is trash, literally.

−5

iliveinsocal t1_iqrm9z9 wrote

“You think I don’t know about this artsy fartsy crap!? This trash doesn’t represent the ego, it represents our shattered sense of community in the face of capitalist-driven isolation, much like the works of Cindy Sherman or Frank Stella.

…I took some classes at RISD so I could make fun of these artsy douches in my neighborhood.”

Edited with quotation marks to show it’s from a comedy called “The Other Guys”. Just thought people might get a laugh out of it.

−9

SocksnSoupnStuff t1_iqshdfv wrote

This comment says one thing but reads as "I beat women before I fap to myself in the mirror"

iliveinsocal t1_iqsjvkk wrote

It’s a quote from the comedy “The Other Guys”.

ActualChamp t1_iqso95h wrote

I recommend using quotation marks to make that clearer

[deleted] t1_iqr6ir7 wrote

[removed]

−17

[deleted] t1_iqrc18s wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_iqrfixf wrote

[removed]

−7