Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MissRadicalEdward t1_jcngimw wrote

It kinda sounds like it's not actually seasoned properly, or you're being a bit over zealous with the cleaning. I use mine most days, keep it mostly clean with a metal scraper and then empty the bits/wipe down with oil and a paper towel while it's still warm - no washing unless it really needs it (like after saucy tomatoes or something acidic) but even then it's a swish in the sink and then back on a hot plate to warm itself dry. You don't want to do a full soapy sink and scrub on the cast iron, it'll pull away all the seasoning and leave you with rust.

When oiling them you need to consider the polymerization that happens and make sure you're using an oil that will create that seasoned coating for the temperature you use most - I use flax oil because it's easy to get and has a super high smoke point, but there are plenty of other options. I abuse the living daylights out of my cast iron and it's been amazing. Everyone has their own preferences though, and cast iron simply doesn't suit some peoples style or methods of cooking.

Having said that, I do have my eye on an All Clad pan, I find the cast iron can be a bit much for slower cooking/delicate foods like white fish or pancakes.

cronx42 t1_jcnkc8l wrote

I wouldn't recommend cooking tomatoes in cast iron. It really isn't a great combo, and also can mess with the flavor of your dish. Also, don't cook them in aluminum.

I wash my cast iron with hot water and soap regularly; after every time I use it. However, I do it quickly. It doesn't take the seasoning off, but my pan is probably seasoned quite well. It's incredibly non-stick. Fresh potatoes for home fries do not stick. That's generally a pretty good test. Techniques also play a part, but my cast iron is almost as non-stick as my actual non-stick pans.

RandomGeordie t1_jcnj5i2 wrote

Pretty much all I was doing is rinsing it with water + scraping it with a metal spatula to get things that were stuck on, off. With a tiny bit of oil in the pan and medium heat I'd still get food sticking to it that I'd need to deglaze.

Once again I'll try and just reiterate how much I disliked cooking with it;

• A 12 inch lodge skillet is heavy. I have a ceramic sink, and a glass hob. Not ideal.
  • Waiting for it to heat up
  • Dealing with it whe it's hot
  • Oil and paper towels and dirty tea towels
  • Food sticking unless you've perfectly seasoned it over several rounds in the oven

With my Tramontina pan, I just don't really need to care about any of that. I take it out, put it on the hob, it's warm in about 60 seconds and none of my food sticks even with very high heat. Eggs? Sure. Stir fry? Sure. Pancakes? Ofcourse.

If I want to be lazy and leave it with food in on the countertop I can. I don't need to be cautious about acidic foods. Washing it is easy because I don't have to care about water and oil and heating it back up afterwards and stuff.

I dunno - you Americans really love your cast iron, but I've spent £25 on Amazon for a non-stick pan that brings me great joy when cooking and I don't have to fuck about.

I know this is the buy it for life sub and I'm all for that, but I'd honestly just get an All Clad or Made In stainless steel set if I wanted something BIFL for the kitchen. Yes, cast iron skillets are BIFL, but they're a pain in the arse in my opinion. I'm happy to shell out some extra money to avoid all that. I don't want to spend a certain % of my time on this earth caring for a piece of metal just so I can prepare a meal. I have other stuff to spend time on.

MissRadicalEdward t1_jcnopl4 wrote

Yeah bud, like I said - they're not for everyone.

I'm not American though, and it shouldn't bother me that you've made that assumption - but it does. So, ahem. G'day I cook with cast iron and think it's the tits, it cooks the quickest sanga you ever wrapped your laughing gear around, yeah nah bro something something cv^t.