Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

M1Firehawk t1_jcn6zwv wrote

Cast iron pans

bestnottodwelldearie t1_jcnot2v wrote

I dunno man, I have 2 that we’re my great grandmother’s so seems more like BIFM(multiple)Lives :)

M1Firehawk t1_jcoul1o wrote

No kidding. Same here. The 3 I have are over 100 years old.

dataminer-x t1_jcnbu4j wrote

Or carbon steel. But I'd bet cast iron would technically outlast them and are probably cheaper.

queceebee t1_jcnpert wrote

Cast iron is great but for some reason I find I gravitate towards my carbon steel skillet more. It may be because the carbon steel pan is smoother and a little lighter in weight. It also heats faster but still has great heat retention.

dataminer-x t1_jcoqd1w wrote

I mix it up. I have a few carbon steel that would be too heavy if they were cast iron.

And it's nice to just finish stuff in the oven with them and not have to worry about the weight.

C_A_N_G t1_jcowuls wrote

I have an old thin carbon steel pan that is lovely for frying pancakes in!

Whyme-notyou t1_jcn95hp wrote

Too much work to keep them up!

−25

schaefercmatthew t1_jcnb8og wrote

Just cook in it, don't put it in the dishwasher. I almost exclusively cook in cast iron, and it's not a challenge at all.

mutetheads t1_jcnaci0 wrote

No one who owns cast iron cookware would say that.

RandomGeordie t1_jcnd684 wrote

I have a cast iron pan and it's a fucking pain in the arse for the foods I cook.

• it's heavy as fuck, so if I drop it accidentally whilst cleaning its going to smash my ceramic sink
  • food still sticks to it, even with the correct heat whilst cooking / several rounds of seasoning in the oven
  • I have to wash it very soon after cooking, which is a pain in the ass if I just want to cook -> eat -> potatoe for an hour or two watching TV
  • Drying the pan after washing it in the sink absolutely ruins a tea towel.
  • Having to re-oil + heat my pan after drying it is also just another annoying step. What a waste of paper towels.

All in all, I don't use it anymore.

I have a Tramontina non-stick professional frying pan. Best thing I've ever bought. When it eventually starts losing its non-stick qualities in a year or two I'll just buy another one for £25.

If you want to spend the money, get some Made In stainless steel cook-ware. Or All Clad.

cmull123 t1_jcnfv27 wrote

I rinse mine with hot water, wipe it with a paper towel, get it hot again and then a few min later when it’s cooled wipe some oil on it. I can cook cheesy eggs and it never sticks. You are way over doing it.

annoyingdoorbell t1_jcnupo5 wrote

I've cooked with cast iron for 20ish years, and you are right. It's way easier cooking with all clad or non stick! There are certainly roles cast iron plays way better like oven cooking and searing meats, but really, people in this sub are getting stuck too easily into a scenario that doesn't exist. WE DON'T LIVE IN THE 1800's! They removed PFOAS from modern cookware and it's tremendously easier to cook in non stick and steel pans in many scenarios.

Cast iron and BIFL shouldn't be your identity as a person. There certainly is a reason these modern inventions exist. So try them out !

Archberdmans t1_jcnekr0 wrote

settlers cooked with cast iron on top of coals on a fire and cleaned them by putting them in a creek I think you’re overdoing it

sanjayh t1_jcnfrqb wrote

They also died at 35

Archberdmans t1_jcnj8vq wrote

Luckily for us it wasn’t due to their cast iron maintenance and use habits

MissRadicalEdward t1_jcngimw wrote

It kinda sounds like it's not actually seasoned properly, or you're being a bit over zealous with the cleaning. I use mine most days, keep it mostly clean with a metal scraper and then empty the bits/wipe down with oil and a paper towel while it's still warm - no washing unless it really needs it (like after saucy tomatoes or something acidic) but even then it's a swish in the sink and then back on a hot plate to warm itself dry. You don't want to do a full soapy sink and scrub on the cast iron, it'll pull away all the seasoning and leave you with rust.

When oiling them you need to consider the polymerization that happens and make sure you're using an oil that will create that seasoned coating for the temperature you use most - I use flax oil because it's easy to get and has a super high smoke point, but there are plenty of other options. I abuse the living daylights out of my cast iron and it's been amazing. Everyone has their own preferences though, and cast iron simply doesn't suit some peoples style or methods of cooking.

Having said that, I do have my eye on an All Clad pan, I find the cast iron can be a bit much for slower cooking/delicate foods like white fish or pancakes.

cronx42 t1_jcnkc8l wrote

I wouldn't recommend cooking tomatoes in cast iron. It really isn't a great combo, and also can mess with the flavor of your dish. Also, don't cook them in aluminum.

I wash my cast iron with hot water and soap regularly; after every time I use it. However, I do it quickly. It doesn't take the seasoning off, but my pan is probably seasoned quite well. It's incredibly non-stick. Fresh potatoes for home fries do not stick. That's generally a pretty good test. Techniques also play a part, but my cast iron is almost as non-stick as my actual non-stick pans.

RandomGeordie t1_jcnj5i2 wrote

Pretty much all I was doing is rinsing it with water + scraping it with a metal spatula to get things that were stuck on, off. With a tiny bit of oil in the pan and medium heat I'd still get food sticking to it that I'd need to deglaze.

Once again I'll try and just reiterate how much I disliked cooking with it;

• A 12 inch lodge skillet is heavy. I have a ceramic sink, and a glass hob. Not ideal.
  • Waiting for it to heat up
  • Dealing with it whe it's hot
  • Oil and paper towels and dirty tea towels
  • Food sticking unless you've perfectly seasoned it over several rounds in the oven

With my Tramontina pan, I just don't really need to care about any of that. I take it out, put it on the hob, it's warm in about 60 seconds and none of my food sticks even with very high heat. Eggs? Sure. Stir fry? Sure. Pancakes? Ofcourse.

If I want to be lazy and leave it with food in on the countertop I can. I don't need to be cautious about acidic foods. Washing it is easy because I don't have to care about water and oil and heating it back up afterwards and stuff.

I dunno - you Americans really love your cast iron, but I've spent £25 on Amazon for a non-stick pan that brings me great joy when cooking and I don't have to fuck about.

I know this is the buy it for life sub and I'm all for that, but I'd honestly just get an All Clad or Made In stainless steel set if I wanted something BIFL for the kitchen. Yes, cast iron skillets are BIFL, but they're a pain in the arse in my opinion. I'm happy to shell out some extra money to avoid all that. I don't want to spend a certain % of my time on this earth caring for a piece of metal just so I can prepare a meal. I have other stuff to spend time on.

MissRadicalEdward t1_jcnopl4 wrote

Yeah bud, like I said - they're not for everyone.

I'm not American though, and it shouldn't bother me that you've made that assumption - but it does. So, ahem. G'day I cook with cast iron and think it's the tits, it cooks the quickest sanga you ever wrapped your laughing gear around, yeah nah bro something something cv^t.

YongeBay t1_jcnaxup wrote

Don’t be afraid of your cast iron pans. My sister in law gave me an excellent griddle years ago that I was afraid to use. Then I realized that my SIL would be more unhappy that I didn’t use it than if I somehow damaged it. So I just used it. On the stove. On the BBQ. Wonderful for nice crunchy veggies. Toss a metal bowl on it to steam things. So long as you hand wash your cast iron, it’s almost certain to outlast you.

dayblank t1_jcn9ps6 wrote

Le Creuset Dutch Oven

LauraDurnst t1_jco4mtw wrote

We inherited two from my partner's mum, who got them from her employer. They're easily 20 years old and the only issue is a chip in the handle after I dropped the lid. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Atlantiqe t1_jcnb6kb wrote

Zojirushi rice cooker

Rinkzate t1_jcnr5k8 wrote

While I absolutely love my zojirushi I highly doubt they will last anywhere close to "life"

Capital_Ad_8315 t1_jcqbxoh wrote

Idk… my grandmother has had the same one from before I was born and still uses it everyday. I think it’ll keep going forever!

im_avoiding_work t1_jcnz6f4 wrote

I love zojirushi, but any product with a nonstick coating has a limited lifespan. They definitely last longer than most of the competition though!

suitopseudo t1_jd6t0jr wrote

You can replace the bowl. The battery one the other hand is soldered in.

ionasmirktwinkles t1_jcnfxi4 wrote

It’s been mentioned here, but the KitchenAid mixer cannot be mentioned enough. I inherited my mom’s - it’s about 40 years old and still works like a charm.

PicnicBasketPirate t1_jcr0rw4 wrote

Destroyed the "heavy duty" version within 2 days of getting it by making pizza dough.

Consider that one point against new KitchenAid Mixer

gravis86 t1_jd7dbt6 wrote

Which version, specifically? I have the pro 7-quart and have made lots of bread with it no problem. Also how old was yours? I know they upgraded the motor in the pro line about the time I bought mine, 6 years ago I think it was.

The tilt-head units are not built well enough for daily bread-making, and the bowl-lift 6-quart model is not in the same league as the pro line 7-quart, despite looking similar.

PicnicBasketPirate t1_jd7t6lr wrote

4.8L (so 5 quart?) Bowl lift "heavy duty"

2022, it was one day out of the box before dieing

gravis86 t1_jd7z043 wrote

Yeah that’s one thing that’s really frustrating about KitchenAid in recent years is they aren’t really straightforward about which models are built better than others. Unless you get the biggest pro model, you’re getting a small, not very powerful motor.

The “Professional” 500 has a 475W motor, versus the Pro-Line 7qt which has a 1.3HP (970W equivalent) motor. The motor in the Pro 7qt is not only more powerful, but it’s built different electronically.

PapaBless902 t1_jdas4ly wrote

I’ve been making pizza dough and other breads pretty stead for four years with mine, no issues.

IndianaFartJockey t1_jcnannj wrote

Mokka pot. Corelle dishes. Stainless steel flatware. Solid/heavy end grain cutting board.

intoran t1_jcndi0o wrote

Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker

okgarden t1_jcncr9b wrote

EZ-DUZ-IT can opener. Made in USA !

Capital_Ad_8315 t1_jcqbqla wrote

This!! I got so sick of my can openers breaking/not working/etc. finally bought two of these and have been SO HAPPY! They are fantastic! Outlasted all the others so far!

Alysoid0_0 t1_jcnb0o2 wrote

I’ve had a 4-cup Mr Coffee since 1998. Just found the receipt.

purplegasmonkey t1_jcnbida wrote

I’ve had my Kitchenaid mixer for almost 17 years. It’s showing it’s age but still can mix multiple batches of dough at once.

Stainless steel cookware set, also almost 17 years old.

As mentioned cast iron. We have a Dutch oven and a 18” frying pan, so far.

Our Correll plates/bowls were purchased used. Still going strong. We add random pieces to the collection, different patterns, all second hand.

I have my grandmothers loaf pans. Not sure what they’re made of but she got them from where they made Head Cheese. My mom used them and then gave them to me. No “modern” loaf pan can compare to these. Perfect loaves of bread or dessert loaves.

Not a kitchen item, but almost 20 years ago I bought a Sony CD dual alarm clock from Sears. My teenager now uses it, still plays CD’s. He has fun digging through our old burned CD collection to see what is on them. I think it could have another 10 or more years of life in it.

sriracha4przdnt t1_jcnd61r wrote

Cast iron jans, a mandojin, and I even have some great glass measuring jups I intend to keep forever.

But seriously, materials matter and I think your best bet is to consider items that won't degrade over time, or ones that can be fixed. Iron, stainless steel, glass - if you learn how to care for them, they'll last you a lifetime. Plastic and nonstick can start to wear and get into your food. The Teflon stuff in particular is alluring, but troublesome because of the potential health hazards once they start to flake and chip. Never use metal gadgets with Teflon. you'll want silicon gadgets if that's what you prefer.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_jcn8hg4 wrote

Liberty Tabletop flatware, ez duz it can opener, fiestaware, country cottons dishtowels dishcloths potholders and oven mitts, 360 Cookware, Rada knives and utensils

Whyme-notyou t1_jcn93rq wrote

All clad cookware Swingline can opener and Henkel knives made in Germany, not the other countries they are crap. Corningware or Pyrex baking dishes and measuring cups, stainless steel measuring cups and measuring spoons and a kitchen aid mixer. All the stuff I mentioned I purchased decades ago by carefully saving enough money for each item. I’ve never replaced a single one.

jctwok t1_jcnefmv wrote

>All clad cookware Swingline can opener and Henkel knives made in Germany, not the other countries they are crap. Corningware or Pyrex baking dishes and measuring cups, stainless steel measuring cups and measuring spoons and a kitchen aid mixer. All the stuff I mentioned I purchased decades ago by carefully saving enough money for each item. I’ve never replaced a single one.

Swingline moved production to China years ago. Their can openers aren't what they used to be. Another firm bought their US factory and makes a much better product under the EZ-DUZ-IT brand.

Whyme-notyou t1_jcnhly6 wrote

Good tip! But since I have two swing lines I won’t need another one for my life but I’ll Ez-DUZ-It for gifts!

AKLA98 t1_jcn7ubf wrote

Rösle utensils.

AutoModerator t1_jcn6tk0 wrote

Hello /u/NebuKadneZaar! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

BrandyBeaner t1_jcn80eh wrote

Robot Coup food processor and Hobart mixer are a couple items I picked up after spending a bit of time in professional kitchens. Though they are probably overkill for most home cooking needs.

Illustrious_Mixture8 t1_jcndljt wrote

You say that, but I have a robot coupe and I use it for every damn thing. It shreds vegetables for the freezer and it makes sauce, and it gets used almost every day. One of those things that alters the way you cook and prep.

Flossthief t1_jcn8yda wrote

Not necessarily a p38 can opener since those are small

But you can get some solid can openers with the same mechanism that will last through thousands of cans

Neon_Camouflage t1_jcn9apz wrote

>p38 can opener

Not for the kitchen but I've had one of these on my keychain for a decade or two now. Has come in handy in a whole pile of different situations, not just for opening cans either. Super useful little tool.

Flossthief t1_jcn9iid wrote

Yeah Ive got one on my keys too

Fantastic can opener but also a handy screwdriver simply a small blade

I got mine years ago for $.50 and never looked back

Diotima245 t1_jcodh1l wrote

High quality cutting board

Own-Safe-4683 t1_jcnc8jk wrote

Search this sub. Bern discussed many times.

NebuKadneZaar OP t1_jcnevsd wrote

Thank you so much. I will have a look on the products you recommended.

Spiritual_Worth t1_jcnfp75 wrote

I have a set of pampered chef bamboo utensils that I’ve used almost every day for the last fifteen years and they’re going strong. Looks like they still sell them but my set has six and three are more squared off bamboo spoons

Zalenka t1_jcniyf5 wrote

BEST whisks! Made in Portland, Oregon.

annainlight t1_jcnj2fm wrote

Nordicware sheet pans and Bundt cake molds.

Evening_Run_1595 t1_jcnqzn7 wrote

Again, the Kitchenaid mixer. A friend of mine gave me hers (after maybe a decade) and I’ve had it almost five years. May as well be new. I expect it will run well pay my death.

OrdinaryEquipment351 t1_jco5hl3 wrote

May be an unpopular opinion, but RADA knives. We have some that are on the fourth generation of our family. I love them, they are cheap, durable, and just good quality stainless. Made in America also I think.

namtaruu t1_jcofxgs wrote

A granite mortar and pestle. I have a big boy from Cole and Mason, easy to use and clean.

thatsoneuglybaby t1_jcoh8kz wrote

I can't say it Bifl in lasting longer but I switched all plastic items that come in contact with heat with wood or metal items. Your life will last longer since the burnt residue of that plastic spatula wont get in your body.

Peachpit-3 t1_jcovafp wrote

Rosle kitchen tools. Demeyer pots, end grain hardwood cutting board, Wusthoff knives, Le Creuset or Staub Dutch ovens, carbon steel pan.

VitalMusician t1_jcoxa36 wrote

My BlendTec has nearly 5K cycles on it and shows no signs of slowing down.

Henbogle t1_jcoyu3x wrote

I have lots of my mom’s bakeware, all aluminum made in the early 50s. Never been in a dishwasher and extremely well-used. It will go to my niece when I die.

mimi_ragsdale t1_jcpb9xz wrote

My KitchenAid mixer is 41 years old and going strong. I’ve used it a LOT!!

Chromebasketball t1_jcpkxdd wrote

I have a 68 year old frying pan lifter. It’s stainless steel with a melamine black handle. Made in Japan. Works great especially on my stainless steel frying pan. Use it daily.

Kean_Vernius t1_jcpt3z7 wrote

GIR kitchen utensils. Absolutely love this brand, been using them daily for +4 years and they still look brand new! https://www.gir.co

BlueShellTorment t1_jcqjx5l wrote

Stainless steel utensils (spatulas, etc) - AS LONG AS they're one piece. Nothing joined together, and every molecule being stainless steel.

mrperson221 t1_jcrmif4 wrote

I've got my stepmom's 22-year-old KitchenAid stand mixer and it works like a charm. I didn't have to change the grease out, but other than that it works perfectly

SeaworthinessSome454 t1_jd69i4n wrote

It’s a long list. Items I have in my kitchen that I expect to never replace.

Staub/le creuset enameled cast iron Vintage and stargazer/field cast iron skillets Zwilling pro knives Victorinix knives Demeyere proline stainless steel fry pan Mauviel 250Ci skillet and sauté pan All clad d5 stainless steel De buyer crepe pan Lodge cast iron griddle and grill pan

Basically just don’t buy non-stick, but heavy cookware (best performance and durability in general anyways), and invest in at least 1 good chef knife.

worldthetimehascome t1_jd6qi2o wrote

Rosle locking tongs. Lifetime warranty, tips don't bend! (Downside is you cant snap them in the air, that's how the lock works)

Different drummers kitchen co is where I found mine!

Illustrious_Mixture8 t1_jcndfex wrote

One small nonstick pan for eggs, peferably one of the ones with a gimmicky sounding ceramic coating. I dislike nonstick at the best of times, but a man's got to have an egg pan.

Pyrex measuring cups - find ones made of actual sturdy pyrex glass on ebay or in a thrift store, not the new crap that's significantly more fragile. A 2C one is crucial, the 1C, 4C, and 8C ones are nice to have. They're tough and microwaveable and will outlive you.

A stack of cheap cotton kitchen towels from IKEA. Idk what they put in those things, but they just don't fall apart. I get patterened ones, but they end up bleached white anyway.

queceebee t1_jcno976 wrote

I used to be a believer of having one nonstick pan for eggs until I got this de Buyer carbon steel crepe pan. The smooth rivets are a nice bonus. Despite the low sides, I can cook up to 6 scrambled eggs in it with no sticking (I have the 9.5" one). It is surprisingly versatile, and I've used it for other things like pancakes, crepes, quesadillas, grilled cheese, toasting walnuts and pecans. Followed the America's Test Kitchen potato skin and salt seasoning method and it has been just as slick as the nonstick pans I used to use, but I expect this pan to last a lifetime and more.

OnlyFreshBrine t1_jcoukv9 wrote

Oh I'm intrigued bc my wife will use a metal spatula in the non-stick smh

queceebee t1_jcp93l2 wrote

If you look at reviews online you'll have a mixed bag of people that love it and people that hate it. I think this ultimately boils down to if you season it properly and use the right cooking technique (like properly heating the pan before adding oil/butter and the eggs). I've used a metal spatula on it a few times and the seasoning held, but I usually get paranoid and use a silicone spatula.

smollmollss t1_jcplzn4 wrote

i'll be one of the ones recommending it- my dad when he was on a crepe kick got one for christmas and it's been a solid addition to the kitchen lineup- that thing will not quit and just glides so beautifully