Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nasanu t1_jaqktfx wrote

Yeah if I were buying a laptop a framework is what I would get.

EDIT: Wow the people here really don't get the concept. It isn't about saving money somehow, its about not wasting resources. If you like throwing out complex electronics, toxic metals and lots of plastic every few years because one component is out of date then you do you. Personally I welcome a laptop where I can piecemeal replace bits that need replacing when I need them replaced.

dcabines t1_jarj9ev wrote

>its about not wasting resources

Then using second hand equipment will always be better than buying anything new.

Kiki_Bo_Beeki t1_jat6g6o wrote

For most things, secondhand will do the job. But for reducing waste and having a usable/reliable computer, OP's scenario seems like the better way to go. Especially if/when more widely adopted.

nik_da_brik t1_jas6wbc wrote

Ironically, framework is actually a really good budget option if you're replacing a laptop with removable ram and nvme storage, since the diy edition is one of the few ways to get a new laptop without those components.

Also, the DIY edition lets you save about $100 over the pre-configured models if you get the same specs but without a windows license. Just use the Microsoft activation scripts to bypass buying a key, or be a nerd and use Linux.

fergan59 t1_jaqxwho wrote

You could just stay 5 -7 years behind tech-wise and when you go to upgrade the laptop, salvage what peripherals you want to keep using and either repurpose, sell or keep as a spare if the environmental impact is the issue for you.