Submitted by Stu_Prek t3_11xjb0g in BuyItForLife

I know lots of companies offer lifetime warranties, and that usually means sending the bag in for repair, and not just getting a replacement.

The problem for me is that I travel 250-300 days a year. I don't have weeks at a time to ship off my bag and wait for work to be done. If mine gets damaged to the point of being unusable, I need a new one ASAP.

Do any companies offer a warranty program that would help me in this situation? Like sending a new bag out and then letting you send the old one in to them after you've got the replacement? I'm sure this is a big ask, but I'm hoping someone out there has a program that works for people who are almost always on the move.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Please_get_in_touch t1_jd3kvp5 wrote

Buy from Luggage Works and the thing will just last forever.

https://luggageworks.com/

imzeigen t1_jd9ld0p wrote

Came here to mention them. Not necessarily good looking but they are very long lasting. There is a reason why probably 9 of every 10 pilots use them.

aztecannie99 t1_jd48gc8 wrote

Why not just have a backup handy? I mean I know you might be stuck if you aren’t home, but I would look at having a backup since you travel so much.

I have bought cases from Travel Pro, Samsonite, and Beis within the last year and have been happy with all three. (All three have different uses…Travel Pro-checked, Samsonite-carry on for 3 days max for business travel (has laptop pocket/charger), and Beis- more for leisure or if I am going to be gone for a week. I am super happy with the Beis for the price that I may end up getting one of their checked bags for a long trip next year.

Stu_Prek OP t1_jd4jxoe wrote

I have a backup handy, but it's not something that I'd necessarily trust for extensive use, and it's only useful if I'm actually home.

In other words, if I need to switch to it to fly out to a one-off and I'm already home, it's fine. If I'm going out on a four month long tour, I really don't want that to be my main bag for for months. And if I'm in the middle of a tour and thousands of miles from home, that backup is useless to me.

MichaelW24 t1_jd3rc36 wrote

Travelpro is what I always saw flight attendants and such using when I flew regularly for work. At one point I got a companion pass from southwest in 6 months (100 round trip flights).

Honestly though, most airlines have a luggage department at most airports, if your bag is damaged they will give you a voucher for one, and you can often pick a replacement up at the airport or elect to pick one online and have it shipped to you.

I always used Samsonite with good results. I was a traveling electrician and my 30" bag was loaded to the limit (50lbs) with electrical material for every flight I made, and it never had a hiccup. It was damaged 3 separate times, shell was cracked, one of the corners got a dent in it. In fact I claimed damaged 3 separate times on that 30" bag and have got 3 replacement bags for it. Was never damaged beyond use, so kept using it.

Also you could just replace them on a schedule.

Fluffy_WAR_Bunny t1_jd59yod wrote

Pelican.

Who also make the best luggage.

Stu_Prek OP t1_jd790qr wrote

Too heavy, unfortunately.

Fluffy_WAR_Bunny t1_jd7ir6e wrote

Too heavy? They arent bad:

A Pelican Air 1615 is max checked bag size and weighs 14lbs. A Pelican Air 1535 is max carryon sized and weighs less than 9lbs.

Its unlikely that you will ever break these. And if you ever do Pelican will send parts no questions asked.

Stu_Prek OP t1_jd7k7rp wrote

Yes, at 14 pounds it's 3-4 pounds heavier than some of the other bags I'm looking at. And since I'm already sitting at 50 pounds on the mark and having to leave things behind with the bag I'm replacing (which was sub-10 pounds), I can't afford to go UP that much in weight.

PeterC18st t1_jd5hyop wrote

My philosophy is, if I’m gone for more than six days being checked luggage. If less than six days then only carryon.

I travel just as much as you and I’ve learned to have backups. I have 3 carryons, 2 over night bags, 2 checked bags, suit bag and a suite duffel bag. If I know I’m staying anywhere longer than my usual 6 days I bring my checked bag with me and a carry on and messenger bag. Having a double or backup is the solution here. 90% of my luggage is Briggs and Riley and I’ve had to use their repair service before. Though it may take a week or four to get my stuff back I have a backup ready to roll. I learned this the hard way of having to do a long term stint in the field and I didn’t bring any large luggage. So I lived out of my carryon. I then started my collection of luggage and if anything needs repair it gets sent out and I have the backup ready to do. American Airlines ripped my bag once and they repaired it for free just took 2 months to get it returned to me. I then said I need to get a backup and here I am with all the luggage listed above.

Stu_Prek OP t1_jd7908n wrote

Space is, unfortunately, at a premium, so bringing a backup with me is not an option.

PeterC18st t1_jd7ifgq wrote

There’s no luggage manufacturer that’ll do quick returns or exchanges. I’m not saying to bring the backup with you. I’m saying if your travel needs are greater than six days to bring a carryon and checked luggage. Depending on who your travel with (airline) you should have status and get free checked luggage for your first 2 checked bags. Have the backups at home. This way you minimize downtime. If you’re saying you don’t have extra space in your home for additional luggage then you’re sol. I keep my spares inside of other luggage (overnight bag inside of carryon and carryon inside of checked bag).

racer91 t1_jd76lyk wrote

You might want to look into the Pelican air line

Stu_Prek OP t1_jd78v3s wrote

I love Pelican cases, but even the "air" series is too heavy. I'm already having to leave things out of lighter suitcases, so I'd have to leave out even more if I went with them.