Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

qtain t1_jbol9x3 wrote

Look at this guy, cooking pasta sauce on a handed down pot, on coals with a trivet.

I'm honestly jealous.

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbop0a4 wrote

Thank you, i'm super stressed and doing this kind of slow tasks relax me.

this give me the excuse to sit down in front of the fireplace , read a book and relax for half a day, the only task to do after searing the meat is adding water and keep it boiling, it's very very relaxing !

qtain t1_jboqclp wrote

Well, sorry to hear you are super stressed. I know what that feels like. I have to agree that sounds really relaxing.

duck-and-quack OP t1_jboxf0d wrote

it is, my job keep me on a tight schedule and i really don't quit from it, cooking help to quit during weekends !

Playful_Sell_7168 t1_jbpzns4 wrote

This is the American Dream, right here. Cheers to you!

Animated_Astronaut t1_jbqop2v wrote

He's Italian I think

Playful_Sell_7168 t1_jbqpb4c wrote

Touché. Living the Italian Dream. Will live til 100ish...no debt... healthcare costs not even a speck of thought in his mind... surrounded by friends, family members and dogs and goats that love him.

Fiyanggu t1_jbrjaau wrote

I bet this is how they did it back in the day at Monticello.

Joiion t1_jbvxgmg wrote

This whole scene really makes me wonder what happened to “his aunt”

the_other_50_percent t1_jbq824n wrote

Maybe not a guy.

−14

Fiyanggu t1_jbrjcf6 wrote

"Look at this guy" is a gender neutral phrase, man!

the_other_50_percent t1_jbsbjwk wrote

You’d call a single (as in one) woman “guy”? I don’t think so. “You’re a nice guy” is not gender-neutral.

It’s OK to admit unconscious biases, like assuming a random redditor is male. We all have unconscious biases. What matters is the choice to recognize them and try to lessen their effect; or to deny it and make ridiculous claims to the person who notices it.

−2

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbnhtyp wrote

a Brief story of this pot: my aunt married in early 50, she was really young and she pent her lifetime with her husband, since i've memory that pot was used every sunday to make pasta sauce ( no need to say she was form naples ! ).

My aunt Carmela was a heartwarming woman, she never had any child so she adopted me as nephew ( she also was my grandmother sister ) and she always take care of us with love, when she was alive her home was a safe place with something to eat and fresh clothes anytime you need.

as i said this pot was used to make tons of sauce for the sunday lunch for years , i keept it and i'm still using for the same purpose.

​

the only maintenance i've done to it ( and the cover too ) was a complete polish for removing scratches and no more .

Fat_Head_Carl t1_jbo68fz wrote

Sorry for your loss, Aunt Carmela sounds like a treasure!

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbow4z7 wrote

She was!

She was sweet and nice and she alway offered shelter doesn't matter what, her husband Giovanni " Gianni " was the same.

They were also my friends aunt and uncle too, all my friends call them aunt carmela and uncle Gianni and they loved it !

ikariusrb t1_jbpe86r wrote

Oooh, that's awesome. I'm salivating seeing you cooking on coals, that sauce looks absolutely amazing. I'm really excited to get our coal-fired oven going- we bought a house a couple years ago that had a fireplace in the kitchen, and we've just had it reconditioned prior to putting some black iron doors on it and turning it into a wood fired oven, and I can't wait to actually start using it! Here's the fireplace in it's current state: https://imgur.com/PPRxBgp

khelwen t1_jbp0h7n wrote

What kind of sauce are you making?

pakman82 t1_jbp2qxq wrote

this is the 2nd question/ first world problem. would love the recipe. it looks like a meat sauce..

lil-smartie t1_jbniwup wrote

Reassuring as I've got a GreenPan that looks very similar. Full stainless steel. It's at least 10yrs old & used pretty much daily!

ToolForStools t1_jbnv189 wrote

What were you cooking when you took the picture?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbnwyyf wrote

Sugo di carne napoletano / Meat sauce from naples .

​

Is a traditional dish made of second choice cuts / cheap cuts and it cooks for one night or more at very low temperature, the outcome is tasty, greasy and delicious, if you have a fireplace is also super budget to do !

​

i usually made it with beef belly ( around 6€/kg ), pork sausage ( 5€/kg), beef muscle ( about 7 €/kg) , pork ribs ( 8€/kg ) and pork fat ( 3 €/kg) .

i usually do 1/4 of each kind of meat and 100 grams of pork fat, 2 KG of tomato sauce and 1 Liter of water, you must also chops 2 carrots, 1 celery stick and 2 onions and add to the souce.

​

how to do it :

melt the fat in the pot, sear the meat on high heat than put it away, in the fat fry the chopped vegetables and when they are golden/brownish put the meat back again, add 2 glasses of red wine and melt all the brown crust the meat made on the pot, when wine is dry ad tomato sauce and the water, add some salt and cook overnight on very low heat, the next day salt to taste and add to pasta .

PrestigeMaster t1_jbo49by wrote

How much of each meat? 1/4 kilogram? What kind of tomato sauce do you prefer? What temperature would you say? Hot enough to burn your mouth? Burn your skin?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jboq22v wrote

i use 4 different cuts, each 1/4 Kg the total meat is 1KG.

i'm actually using my own tomato sauce, a great one is the " cirio" brand and i've spot it in england and USA , another good alternative is the " barilla ", for both brands go for the " passata " .

​

you can tell when is ready by looking to the meat, when the hardest part start to " melt " like pulled pork you are done , cook 1KG or 1.5KG of pasta and you are ready to serve a family of ten ! no need to say you will also need parmigiano cheese on top !

PrestigeMaster t1_jbrmros wrote

I’m going to feel so fancy making this. Thank you so much. Oh and what type of pasta goes best?

MTBSPEC t1_jbr0vxg wrote

Is that an indoor fireplace? How are you pulling the coals out like that without your house getting all Smokey?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbs6yru wrote

It's an indoor fireplace, coals itself doesn't smoke unless some greasy/oily fall over it.

ertapenem t1_jbonndu wrote

What kind of onions do you use?

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Nothing better than real Italian food.

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbope61 wrote

it's a old and poor recipe so i'd say the cheapest one!

in italy the simple yellow/gold onions are the cheapest and are the ones i use.

Sweetlantern t1_jbrl5p0 wrote

What is the beef muscle and the pork sausage called in italian?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbs6ri1 wrote

Tricky questions, google translate doesn't help when we are naming meat cuts !

The italian mames of the beef cut am i using is called " fusello " and comes from the shoulder of the adult beef.

The italian for sausage is " salsiccia " and every zone have a different way to make it, everyone also claim to make the best one.

The one i use is the one from central Italy ( where I'm from, my family moved from Naples when mom was pregnant) and is made with pork meat mostly second quality meat.

I've used " second quality " a lot in this thread and since i don't want to get misunderstood is time to explain that too!

All the cuts I'm talking about are fresh and very good, they are " second quality " because they are not tender or more fat, for the american friends who smoke beef, the cut are you smoking is considered " second quality/ low quality " in Italy because is fat and if not cooked properly is also hard to chew .

Sweetlantern t1_jbtapah wrote

Thank you for the response. I’m going to attempt making this sauce soon. I’ll try and remember to let you know how it turns out. Mille grazie!

HalfFullPessimist t1_jbnhazl wrote

Brand? Still looks great.

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbnhxo7 wrote

no brand clearly visible , there is a " B " craved in the metal under one of the handle and no more .

torankusu t1_jbqwpn4 wrote

I bet if you took a picture of the logo and posted it to a sub like /r/HelpMeFind, someone might be able to identify it. It's crazy, the knowledge that people on subs like that have (also similar subs like /r/tipofmytongue or /r/whatisthisthing).

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbs75bt wrote

I'll try but is just a capitol B and no more.

There is a company in Italy called " bialetti" and i sent them a mail with pictires and they responded me, as i expected, that they only make moka for coffee and coffee related stuff.

vacuous_comment t1_jbnww8d wrote

I am faintly surprised those spot welds are still holding. Those are enough to disallow that pot from my kitchen.

Blue-cheese-dressing t1_jbo4lno wrote

They always seem to give way when the pot/pan is full and without warning. I think Mainstays is the only retail cookware line that I’ve seen that still uses them.

vacuous_comment t1_jbofbzn wrote

This is key. When a rivet gets loose you can feel it, you have some warning. Then you can either drill it out and replace it or give it a bonk with a hammer to tighten it up.

Spot welds fail without warning and of course under load, which is when the pan is full. Also, when they do fail it is not usually possible to make a repair. Spot welding machines are very expensive and difficult to set up. You can drill out the area and put in a rivet but that is often tricky given the remains of the failure.

No spot welded handles in my kitchen.

Wack0Wizard t1_jbodldt wrote

Do you cook on the fire?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbop6q9 wrote

yes, i do!

i've a regular stove too but this kind of recipe need to cook on low temps for hours and the the fireplace is perfect for the purpose !

Alternative_Arm_2583 t1_jbo3kaf wrote

What a wonderful pot and what a wonderful added dose of love you must feel in each meal you make in it :)

ubermonkey t1_jboxvp0 wrote

High quality UNCOATED cookware is seriously OG BIFL stuff. Nothing nonstick is gonna be BIFL, but quality steel, copper, or cast iron -- including enameled cast iron -- is stuff you'll pass on.

Or, if you prefer the other angle, is absolutely stuff you can snag at estate sales or whatever.

karensrule_ t1_jbp92zj wrote

There's something incredibly warming about continuing to use kitchen ware that's been in the family for decades...well done 😊

Cheshire_Jester t1_jbrbp1y wrote

Are you really gonna buy that for life?

OP: Someone is.

kobachi t1_jbos8w5 wrote

Not the reefer I was hoping for

diab0lus t1_jboy5wv wrote

Gordon Ramsay would love this good, honest, local, simple, rustic, hearty, wholesome, easygoing, homemade, unpretentious, inviting, Italian food.

Lissy_Wolfe t1_jboumgr wrote

This is so wonderful! I am American but my family is originally from Naples. Unfortunately I have never been able to afford to visit, but I try to keep my Nana's (great grandma's) recipes and traditions alive as best as I can. I would love to have a fireplace and make sauce like this. My dream is to one day buy one of those super cheap old properties in Italy and fix it up! ❤

LBdeuce t1_jbouv4j wrote

thats a fine pot

BigNihilist t1_jbowmtp wrote

Sorry...I saw the title and thought of a different kind of pot. Wondered how it lasted so long. My mind always goes in strange directions.

SerenaKD t1_jboxzlk wrote

Wow! It even looks new from this angle!

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbp7hud wrote

it was scratched, i used sandpaper and polishing mineral paste to make it shine again.

​

is stainless steel, i can do it again when needed !

celticchrys t1_jboznut wrote

Any idea what brand the pot is?

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbp895j wrote

nope, the only mark is a " B " engraved on one of the handles

fatherofhenry t1_jbozxec wrote

I like your fireplace cooking technique

HettySwollocks t1_jbp0xbm wrote

I've never had much luck cooking on a fireplace, surprised OP was able to get the temperature high and sustained enough to cook that stew?

I find either the fire is too hot, or just goes through fuel far too quickly.

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbp7vbr wrote

for this kind of cooking you don't really need high temperatures, you just need a pot with a tick bottom for spreading the heat around and time.

​

the sauce need to stay very close to the boiling point but doesn't need to boil.

​

when i cook on the fireplace i just use ember from buring Olive three wood, it's very hot and last for hours .

2SidesoftheSameCorn t1_jbp8c97 wrote

Assumed from the title that I would be seeing an ancient stash of weed

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbp8hkq wrote

lol, how that thing is called in english ? google said pot so i named it pot !

PlumChutney t1_jbpl11c wrote

Would a crockpot without lid on low overnight work?

InspiredNitemares t1_jbqcfij wrote

My dumbass read "pissed". I was like, "well yeah she's pissed, you took her pot!".

beer5cents t1_jbql9a2 wrote

Wow! What a great post ❣️👍. Enjoy your lovely meal, thanks for sharing 😋😊.

Square_Possibility38 t1_jbqoswb wrote

Just for future reference, if you’re talking about someone who has passed away, you refer to them as “late”. It was your late aunts pot. It’s a much less clumsy way to get the point across

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbs7joi wrote

Let me just thank you and anyone else who make me notice this.

I'm sorry about my terrible english, i wasted my chances to properly learn it in school and now i'm doing it myself but is not that easy !

NightElite t1_jbqqn8p wrote

Read at first as in my pot is my Aunt now passed was confused on why we were eating Aunt

seanbiff t1_jbqrq7d wrote

I’ve never seen anyone cook on their fireplace

duck-and-quack OP t1_jbs7er8 wrote

It's a rural thing.

Old houses were cold, really cold during winter and you have the fireplace going perpetually during winter time, using some of that heat to cook is just common sense.

Now in a modern home like mine is not that important but i'm still optimizing and saving energy so.. why not ?

Scorface t1_jbqt3sd wrote

Instead of saying “my ( now passed) aunt”, you could just say “my late aunt” or on Reddit since nobody is going to care, you could just say “my aunt”

Oldmansoulman t1_jbr5fdi wrote

Cool but can I have some of what's in that pot?

TheBirminghamBear t1_jbrbgft wrote

And now you are merrily feasting on the bones of your enemies, as your aunt taught you.

s1a1om t1_jbrdz7m wrote

Jealous of the cooking over a live wood fire. Do you have any other photos showing the whole setup?

intelligentplatonic t1_jbs9plo wrote

Everything but a spit-roasted pig with an apple in its mouth.

MargertitaMan t1_jbwe1yb wrote

Your Aunt looks delicious. Do you eat her over rice or pasta?