Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Careless_Wishbone_69 t1_is2rph4 wrote

Probably not BIFL but it depends on the quality. 2.95 quart is a bit small as well. You can probably get something better and BIFL for a bit more. I find a lot of Creusets on FB Marketplace.

mintmouse OP t1_is2u3tg wrote

That’s what I’m thinking for something long term it’s better to go with a better size than save a few bucks.

Careless_Wishbone_69 t1_is2vzyk wrote

There are always second hand ones for sale. I think 5 qt/L is probably the best size.

urbanSeaborgium t1_is3fqnm wrote

I have this exact model and it's 3 years old. There's better dutch ovens out there but honestly they just aren't worth the very high cost.

My main concern was that the ceramic would chip, but so far it's in great shape despite occasionally clanging against another pan.

I recommend it.

mildOrWILD65 t1_is32n7o wrote

It seems small but all recipes can be scaled down and if you live alone, this looks like a good purchase. BIFL? I don't know but enamel over cast iron is pretty hard to mess up.

For that price? Not a bad purchase!

Southern_Spaces t1_is2vka2 wrote

I have lecruset, lodge, and Amazon basics Dutch ovens ranging from 2qt-12qt I’ve picked up/had passed down over the last few decades. I’m doubtful any of them won’t last my lifetime and the next with proper care.

SweetAlyssumm t1_is33ycx wrote

I have a LeCreuset dutch oven in the old flame color that the handle fell off. (It's 30 yrs old.) I made some efforts to replace it but got frustrated. I stored it in the garage, then one day I needed a nice flower pot for my front porch. Hauled out the old thing, put a lavender and some orange/yellow lantana in it, and it looks spectacular! I know this is not what you should do with an expensive pot but I honestly enjoy seeing it so much.

deadbeatPilgrim t1_is37pp8 wrote

it’s your pot, and you can do what you want with it, but that is low key slightly upsetting lmao

shortredbus t1_is6pg6f wrote

SweetAlyssumm t1_is6tgmj wrote

Yes, good point, but in practice it was hard to make this happen and I just gave up. They would not just send me the needed part in the mail and I had to drive around, etc.

AbbyShapirosAreola t1_is6q8e6 wrote

Dude what? The handle is held on with a single run of the mill Philips head screw. How hard can it be?

If the threads are messed up you can order a new handle easy.

SweetAlyssumm t1_is6tmpr wrote

Threads are messed up and I was not able to easily get that handle as I said. Anyway, I love my flowerpot and it was a blessing in disguise.

Fruitndveg t1_is496hu wrote

This is key. Even a Le Creuset won’t hold up well if the owner uses it like a dick. You stick to silicone or wooden cooking utensils when using even cheap cast iron and you’re gonna be okay. I’ve got two years on a no name cast iron Dutch oven and it’s still going strong.

Complete-Damage9623 t1_is38of5 wrote

Not BIFL. I’ve had the lidl cast iron saucepan for 6 months and it already has a small chip on the rim. I bought it because it was a good knockoff for the le creuset one. And I thought it was cute and fun. But didn’t expect it to last forever and it probably won’t.

I also have a 5 qt le creuset and I absolutely love it. You can definitely notice a difference in quality. You can get some decent prices on the ones in the outlet and if that’s too much I think the Lodge Dutch oven holds up pretty good too.

penlowe t1_is2x0dz wrote

Go pick one up & carry it around the store if you have never cooked with these. As lovely as they are they are heavy even empty.

pillcitydoughboy t1_is2vjvp wrote

it just seams like an incredibly small pot, my 4qt is already small for making soup for more than two people

TheBrewkery t1_is2tjn2 wrote

looks exactly like one my mother has and has used very often for at least a decade now

j-random t1_is33jnc wrote

Probably not BIFL. My wife bought one of these (or one with the exact same lid design) and dropped it in the sink (also enameled cast iron) and it chipped. Lost a chunk of the enamel about the size of a quarter.

oakparkv t1_is3iqbb wrote

Aldi has these right now as well. I’m tempted, but I have to say, I agree with the people saying to go with Le Creuset.

All my Le Creuset is secondhand. I have my mom’s pans from the early 1970s that are still going strong - I cook in them at least 3 times per week. I’ve also got a couple of thrifted pots (chipped and without lids, but paid like $3) that are perfect for heating soup. And my best find was a 1980s Le Creuset Dutch oven that I bought for $30 at an antique shop. It’s still in perfect condition and gets regular use.

ScaryBeardMan t1_is46w0w wrote

They are good value. The enamel will chip off way more readily than a more expensive one but you'll probably still get years of reliable service out of it.

Hot-Imagination-Gal t1_is4cvtu wrote

I have several Lidl cast iron items (two pans and one pot). They are 5-6 year old already and in perfect shape. It matters that you take care of them, but in my experience it was worth purchasing them. I probably will use them a long time from now.

Teed5 t1_is4lexi wrote

Simply, the quality of the iron or the casting process will be sub par. I bought a cast iron pan from aldi, on the second batch of meatballs it cracked right down the centre. Sure, give it a go, but keep your receipt and packaging.

ellasmart t1_is69l47 wrote

I ve been using this and the oval one for a year now. I use it in the stove, put it in the oven, wash it in the dishwasher, no problem :)

ellasmart t1_is69qf5 wrote

Don't think I ve had any disappointing kitchen products from Lidl yet.

kioleanu t1_is6h3eh wrote

Defs not BIFL. I have a 3 years old one in a good condition... which I got as a replacement for one that chipped by itself in 2 weeks.

MidnightOperator94 t1_is7bgkr wrote

"suspiciously low-priced groceries" is absolutely the worst tag line i've ever heard.

AutoModerator t1_is2naw1 wrote

Hello /u/mintmouse! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

NydNugs t1_is3wppd wrote

General rule of thumb is warranty is half of the expected life of the product. With a 6 year expected life you could probably make it to 12. Thats about 99-50 cents a year at that upper limit, get two. Should be great for overnight no nead bread.

−1