Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

491010 t1_ituzomv wrote

Those are beautiful.

plantymamatiddy t1_itv0ff4 wrote

Do you do any ranch work? Let us know how they hold up in the mud!

IsMyNameBen t1_itv1x0f wrote

I'm assuming they're neoprene lined? If so, what's the back of the heel (inside) like? Of the 3 pairs of different neoprene lined wellies I've had, they all rub through the neoprene in the heel cup (causing blisters) well before anything else gives out.

jimmyhilluk t1_itv59g7 wrote

I've heard they (or any soft rubber boot) rots in urine. So avoid hard stable/livestock work.

Been tempted by a pair though, some of the nicer neoprene boots for mudstomping.

BloodyLlama t1_itv7u7n wrote

I've met people who use these for caving. They don't last any longer than other boots when subjected to such high abuse as caving.

macnerd93 OP t1_itv8q84 wrote

Ill be using them mainly for walking about when out and about off-roading in my classic land rover lol. Wanted a decent robust pair of wellies for a spot of green laning. Lot of water and mud at some of the locations in the North York moors for example.

macnerd93 OP t1_itv9dn5 wrote

Fairly rural but no farm work. Wellies are an essential for us in winter time in the UK just given how wet it is. I do a lot of off road stuff with my classic Land Rover so be nice when I’m out and about in that

macnerd93 OP t1_itvbq16 wrote

They haven’t been made in France since 1949 lol

They have been made in Casablanca for about 73 plus years now.

The name Le Chameau is French for 'the camel', a nod to the new factory location

Von_Lehmann t1_itvfz8o wrote

Well I'll be curious to see how buyitforlife they are.

I usually used Nokian boots for hunting but they tend to split at the sides so im back to classic Finnish Sievi. But I imagine if you just throw them on for puddling they will be fine

apprpm t1_itvmr5q wrote

I’ve had mine since the 1990s and bought a family member some in 2016. So far, so good! Hope they are still as good of quality.

yelruh00 t1_itvn0zf wrote

They come with a bag? Cool.

bellsbliss t1_itvxcfh wrote

Looks interesting. I have a pair of hunters but they all keep cracking at seams around the toes. Wouks be nice to find a pair that lasts me more than 5 years.

oyveyistmir t1_itvy64e wrote

Love mine, they are so comfy and easy to move around in.

kenvsryu t1_itvyh6c wrote

how do muck boots compare?

thatgirlinny t1_itw1988 wrote

Le Chameau are so much better built and more comfortable than Hunters!

macnerd93 OP t1_itw1j4c wrote

Lol, Funny enough its 24 years old and in my ownership I’ve never had a breakdown with it. Its been really well looked after though.

Worst thing I ever had was fuse number 20 blew and killed the immobiliser, new fuse and it started working. The 300tdi engine is just uber reliable.

macnerd93 OP t1_itw1van wrote

My previous pair are hunters, I’ve stopped wearing them as they are quite rare tbh.

Still in good condition, but from around 2012/2013 they are the navy blue OUBC ones from the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Races. I just don’t wanna trash them up as they are hard to find nowadays

macnerd93 OP t1_itw23m4 wrote

12,000 miles I’ve done in it since last August 2021. It’s my daily driver, my off roader and also my show car.

It just works and works,

Meanwhile my dads 2019 VW Tiguan has had a lot of problems with not starting in cold, issues with the key fob and issues with the alarm.

The 300tdi is so basic, there’s no ECU or anything to worry about and has a manual fuel pump.

Worst car I’ve ever owned is a Nissan Navara D40 model, so many issues we had with that heap. Injectors, electrical, turbo, leaking roof, issues with the 4x4 system use to make a grinding noise. Then the chassis cracking issues were the final staw.

macnerd93 OP t1_itw2ltj wrote

Be fine I always talk about how reliable she’s been for me. Its just the modern stuff whats rubbish when everything went computerised. The late 1990s period just before the TD5 engine is very good imo. The 200 and 300 are Land Rovers best engines.

FrameJump t1_itw32sj wrote

I don't know much about cars, but I'll absolutely agree that adding and relying on electronics is much, as well as planned obsolescence, make up the bulk of the problems with modern vehicles. Not to mention most vehicles, and everything really, being designed in a way that requires a dealership to fix it.

Regardless of they tangent, congrats on the boots and your Ol' Reliable. Hope they both keep trucking many years to come.

Pastelpink_kitty t1_itw4781 wrote

Do they get warm in the summer? I live in a dry/hot climate

agreenmeany t1_itw85c7 wrote

They're pretty good - very comfortable, better lasting that most of the competition and a better 'fitted' shape than the standard welly. But the seam tends to leak where the sole curves round to meet with the rubber - the 2 pairs I had went in the same spot and everyone else I know who have bought Le Chameau complain about the same issue.

SupraMario t1_itw8w11 wrote

I've yet to find a pair of rubber boots that hold up past 6 months of farm life. Almost all of mine have failed where the toes bend. The amount of constant flex causes them to crack in that area and at that point their useless for winter/wet weather.

TheSmellyWizard t1_itw9js5 wrote

The only rubber boot that have actually lasted for me are Bekina Belkins. 4 years and counting going through unimaginable wear and conditions.

addvalue2222 t1_itwg3rn wrote

Well now I know what I want for Christmas ty.

Pantough t1_itwjk8i wrote

My socks keep falling down in mine. Cured it with some Levi’s pure cotton ones.

Toasty.

thecockmeister t1_itwkbrj wrote

So far these have lasted me 18 months of dealing with slop and often fairly deep water, plus a lot of crouching and kneeling down. Lot of colleagues have buckbootz so I might try those when these eventually go as they seem to like them.

xeroxchick t1_itwrduq wrote

I love mine. Have had over ten years. The little round sign came off years ago. Mine have deer skin lining and I can wear them barefoot in the summer and with wool socks in the winter. Super product.

ISlicedI t1_itwrhev wrote

I was tempted to get some but then I read a ton of reviews about how bad the customer service was.

xeroxchick t1_itwrm9f wrote

Mine have deer skin lining and have not worn out at all. I wear them doing barn work and befor I put on riding boots. Over ten years. I wear them barefoot and with heavy socks - all year, all weather.

Mrclements91 t1_itwrx6j wrote

I have had 10+ pairs of these over the years, they are amazing but definitely not for life. I think the company got bought out a few years back and there was a noticeable difference in quality.

I will always wear this brand though 👌

aretherecups t1_itwvjx2 wrote

I love mine! I’ve found them the best wellies for when you’re out shooting and having to walk long distances

pertain2u t1_itwwgg4 wrote

I have some from 2002 that still are in excellent shape they are my fashion boots worn just on occasion, although they have seen blood, mud, horses and cattle. The internal and external materials have not cracked or fallen apart, still holding up after mild weather over 20 years. I hope yours make your legs look fancy too and stand the teat of time.

opmt t1_itwyrpn wrote

You’re meant to post these after you’ve used it for a lifetime and it had lasted. Not something not even worn in yet. Nice ad.

FattyBolgerIV t1_itx3ew6 wrote

Farmer here, I like them because they’re comfy and warm. But realistically if your working with cows and other stock they won’t last more than a year… even if you keep them clean and all they just don’t hold up to constant long hours and manure

FattyBolgerIV t1_itx40uc wrote

Yep that’s absolutely true, I use mine on farm and they never last more than a year. That being said I still buy them as they are comfy and if I’m wearing them most days it feels somewhat justifiable

I also have a pair of Aigle that I use for more hardcore tasks

elevenhundred t1_itx74u4 wrote

Largely, I use basic/generic versions of insoles in my XtraTufs (the Alaskan version of these kinda boots) to suck up volume and provide a more snug fit inside the boot that prevents your heel from sliding around.

I use the good SOLE footbeds in my skiboots for more comfort and boot control.

rowillyhoihoi t1_itx8q7i wrote

Cool! They are on my wanting list after I bought a pair of suede Chelsea boots last week. They claim they are water resistant so if not, I am considering wellies. Although, I am not sure if I can manage to slide into them easily with my preggo ass.

RTBoston t1_itxbx7z wrote

Drop a nice pair of wool liners (real wool please) in them. Never need socks or winter boots again. Going on year…. 5? with mine.

FistsoFiore t1_itxk99j wrote

Do the French approve of referring to their boots by the name of an Anglo-Irish nobleman?

Own-Significance-484 t1_itxkpf7 wrote

How do these compare to hunter boots?

I have a pair of hunters that I've had since 2016. I think I'll be able to get a few more yrs out of them, but there are a few small cracks in the rubber in some areas. I like the look of these, would consider getting them as a replacement if they are known to hold up well

thatgirlinny t1_itxscbc wrote

Had Hunters a long time ago. They didn’t wear well, eventually splitting, and whenever I wore them, i couldn’t wait to get them off my feet.

Le Chameau were familiar to me. A friend had them for mucking, and i was impressed by the solid knobby tread on the bottom in a couple of pair I found. I find the material softer and build more accommodating for my feet. I can wear a heavy sock—or not, and they feel warm. I can walk in them some distance without issue.

Cost-wise they’re comparable, but I simply think they’re better built than Hunters. Mine are a kind of perfect brownish green and look as good with a Barbour as they do other outerwear.

macnerd93 OP t1_ity9qsc wrote

Not exactly an ad. They’ve not paid me for it or anything. I just enjoy hobbyist photography and its been wellies I’ve wanted for quite a while to replace my older pair pf Hunters which i got in 2013.

OneFatFen t1_itygo5i wrote

Oh I thought you had an insert specific to the heel wear. As I understand winter versions of the boots of this style have a neoprene insulated layer. Daily use can degrade this no matter the brand. I'm looking for something specific to this. Thanks for the reply and info though!

Paphoved t1_ityio1y wrote

I got some le chameau, they died within a couple of years even with rubber care product applied at proper intervals.

Extremely comfy though.

thatgirlinny t1_ityjkr6 wrote

Mine are most like the Vierzon. I think what it comes down to is lining type and gusset/no gusset. If you’re anticipating stuffing, say, your jeans into the boots the gusseted pairs will be the most comfy—and are a little more sporty looking, if that makes a difference. But I like them all!

bpwhittle t1_itzfh1i wrote

I’ve always wanted a pair of this style boot, but I just keep buying bean boots.

crookskis t1_iujrp6z wrote

How are these holding up? My wife wants a pair of hunter wellies but I’ve heard the quality is not what they used to be and I’ve actually been recommended (by a daughter of a Lord) to buy generic wellies and wear hunter welly socks… are Chameaus better?