Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kromo30 t1_iu596xd wrote

No. They don’t manufacture the consumables forever. You’ll get 10-15 years of manufacturer support. Maybe a bit more with Dyson…(?).. but it’s not life.

Even if it is “only” 15 years, it’d still say that’s pretty solid, but not BIFL.

rockyrikoko t1_iu5cviy wrote

Good point! This could be a sub criteria of buy it for life for companies that do offer replacement parts for decades

Kromo30 t1_iu6foal wrote

No batteries, but I always like mentioning these guys when this conversation come up because to me, they are the definition of BIFL. https://www.pkgrills.com.

Patented design back in the 50s. Have not changed their moulds since. 70 years later you can still call them up and order parts and they are garenteed to match.

alexmin93 t1_iu7dmum wrote

If you really want it to be BIFL you can replace cells yourself. Dyson battery is just a bunch of 18650 or 21700 cells connected to a bms board, replace them with new ones and glue ot back

The_Chief t1_iu5ve9g wrote

I don't know Dyson is pretty good. I just replaced a head and brush on a 10 year old plus Dyson that I bought refurbished. It cost money for the parts but works like new.

Radioactive-Salmon t1_iu622wo wrote

FWIW, I just bought a third-party battery for a six-year-old Dyson. Larger capacity than OEM, no issues so far (3 months).

Kromo30 t1_iu6eyyz wrote

Ya, because plenty of people still use your model Dyson. 6 years still not end of life.

That’s the point. How many third parties are going to be making that battery 6 years from now when the vac is EOL and everyone but you has upgraded. They aren’t going to make batteries just for you.