Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

292to137 t1_iuu0awh wrote

Those are actually worth a lot of money today believe it or not. I think they’re like $100-200 if you can find them online

MyOysterWorld t1_iuudpd4 wrote

You say what???? You mean on Ebay or Etsy??? Really? A plastic laundry basket? Wow!!!

Schwickity t1_iuupkln wrote

Why? Nostalgia?

292to137 t1_iuupoc9 wrote

No idea must be

StonccPad-3B t1_iuuwh1y wrote

I would think it would be because of them being much more durable than ones available new.

292to137 t1_iuuywbx wrote

Yeah that wouldn’t surprise me, that’s the case with so many old things

Torkin t1_iuubawl wrote

Maybe first produced in the 70s but continued into the 80s and 90s. I have a blue one of these at the foot of my bed that was purchased probably early 90s.

314159bits t1_iuui0fz wrote

Couch also from grandma? 😈

discoteen66 OP t1_iuuyvqr wrote

Haha no it’s actually from IKEA, got it in 2020. Definitely not a BIFL item 😅

ThxItsadisorder t1_iuuwdj5 wrote

I'm just surprised people have these last and not break.

Badowolfo t1_iuv6suc wrote

Seriously. I’ll break the handles off minutes after purchasing if the basket is a bit too heavy

maxstrike t1_iuxps8y wrote

These typically lasted my family between one and two years. Definitely not buy it for like material. They were considered cheaply made at the time because there were more expensive chrome baskets available.

mt379 t1_iuwj8kb wrote

Yeah. One bad throw down the stairs is all it takes.

MyOysterWorld t1_iuudcmi wrote

I've always wondered where I got my 2 orange ones...no, one is orange, the other is a terra cotta color. Yeah, they've lasted me this long too...since 70s!! Well, the side on one cracked but thats because it was holding it on my hip with way too many wet jeans in it, but nothing some clear box tape couldnt fix.Yep, they sure don't make things like they used to!! I still have so many things that we got as wedding presents!!

alejo699 t1_iux46am wrote

My dad worked for Rubbermaid in the 70s and we had tons of their stuff back then. It lasted for decades, nearly indestructible. Unfortunately not so much anymore; I bought some Rubbermaid "Tupperware" awhile back and it's almost all cracked to shit in less than five years.

NWO_Eliminator t1_iuusrhp wrote

Quite the vintage setup. Laundry baskets from the 70's, couch from the 80's, possibly early 90's.

Got any appliances from that era, or some wallpaper?

discoteen66 OP t1_iuuyy2b wrote

Couch is actually from IKEA and we got it in 2020, believe it or not. No vintage appliances yet but I’m always keeping my eye out…

MurdocksTorment t1_iuuwhce wrote

Grandma had better bad taste. I love the nostalgia but, earth tones of the 70s and 80's were so gross.

discoteen66 OP t1_iuuyzri wrote

Ha, I wish she had more ‘70s earth tones. That’s not really my style either but I can admire the specific viewpoint

Practical-Intern-347 t1_iuw9w9k wrote

1970s plastic is often made with lead based paint and traces of arsenic are not uncommon either. I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for the privilege.

discoteen66 OP t1_iuwd68i wrote

Everybody dies from something. (Also, my grandma used these up until her death in May. She was 86.)

zephyrtr t1_iux49up wrote

Lead doesn't kill you usually, it just degrades your brain. Really bad for babies. Theyd have to eat it though so if the paint/dye is solid, likely no worries. I dont trust older plastics personally. Even if they're more durable.

physicscat t1_iuukkpp wrote

My Mom had a dark brown one.

CrustiferWalken t1_iuwuuu0 wrote

Wow! I have the tan one. I knew it was from at least the 90s bc I remember it from my childhood. Mine has a crack in one of the sides but is still going strong otherwise. It’s my only laundry basket that I use

WiB76 t1_iux8aae wrote

I still have a terra cotta colored one from the 80s!

kairon156 t1_iuxotlg wrote

My brotehr and I had modern laundry baskets. His became crushed within months. mine ended up the same after a year of use.
It's sad that even something like plastic is so cheaply made in many products today.

battraman t1_ivag9vv wrote

I feel like after decades of having one basket die on me after another that I should really seek out a better material for them.

kairon156 t1_ivakggj wrote

I like the tall rectangle ones [This sort of thing] (https://www.amazon.ca/SimpleHouseware-Foldable-Closet-Laundry-Hamper/dp/B07NPWK6HJ/ref=sr_1_28?crid=32494FP0Y93X7&keywords=laundry+basket&qid=1667749000&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI4LjA0IiwicXNhIjoiNy43NyIsInFzcCI6IjcuMjgifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=laundry+baske%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-28) for modern day baskets.

I tried a laundry bag but the shoelace like string slipped out over time. Now it's basically a useless oversized fabric bag.
Currently I'm using a large shopping bag with handles for holding my laundry because their made to carry a nice bit of weight.

lirio2u t1_iuvac7h wrote

Ugh we had one! Where did it go? It always made a great little cage game for my kitty!

trickytreats t1_iuvpdmm wrote

I have the exact same one on the right, I don’t know where it came from. I always assumed it was new?!

irena888 t1_iuxrkyo wrote

I’ve got the beige one and a blue one.

discoteen66 OP t1_iuxs6yx wrote

I saw more colors online! I’m definitely going to keep an eye out when thrifting and at estate sales

Trackerbait t1_iuyg274 wrote

for commenters who scorn plastic baskets, they do make woven ones (wicker or fabric)