Submitted by Dralexus t3_yy7giw in BuyItForLife

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a tumble dryer for some time now and it seems most people tend to agree for washers and dryers Miele is the best. I found the T1(TWR 780 WP) for 1500GBP and have placed an order with amazon. My friends tell me it's crazy to spend that much money on a dryer alone and have been making fun out of me.

I also read online that Miele is not as good anymore with their newer products. In addition, what worries me is the only 2-year warranty they provide, why would they do that unless they are not confident in their quality?

Should I look for a cheaper Miele tumble dryer or do cheaper brands that have similar or not far-off quality? The money is not the problem, but I don't want to overpay if not necessary.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_iwso5q7 wrote

Hello /u/Dralexus! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Muncie4 t1_iwt1nlf wrote

Worth is a personal metric the internet can't help you with. My buddy's wife just spent $4500USD on a new purse. Is it worth it?

Miele is a BIFL brand. Is it the best? No. Do you want one and can you afford it are YOU questions.

indesitlover1400 t1_iwtke59 wrote

As a washing machine enthusaist i cant reccomend miele because they have alot of software issues and error codes that are caused by software bugs and miele needs to come to you to fix them, they aren't made at all how they used to 20 years ago

Charming_Schedule261 t1_iwu1qsm wrote

Get one with the least features, if they fail with that version, change brand. Valid for all brands.

javaavril t1_iwu2fg5 wrote

Miele makes the best products for textile care and your clothes will last longer with their machines. That makes it worth it to me.

I only buy Miele for water appliances, laundry/dishwashers, and have sets in both of my homes.

If you're looking for something that is also a heatpump dryer that has less programming options go for a German manufactured Bosch (make sure Germany, not Turkey), however if you do a lot of ironing the steam finish on the Miele may well pay for itself in saved time. And Bosch builds for a ten year use, Miele builds for twenty, so lifetime use is less money over time.

There's an optional 5 year warranty for an additional fee, but anything that goes wrong that isn't user error, will generally be in the first six months. I've never called in a problem and am still under warranty for two machines. Also happy people don't write reviews as frequently as unhappy people, so online is always weighted toward poor performance for any product.

javaavril t1_iwv4ifr wrote

I think you're confusing them with Bosch, which is manufactured globally.

Only the lower end Miele C1 swing, and I think, C2 vacuums are made in China, and Miele owns all their factory's in Europe where their whitegoods are made.

javaavril t1_iwwnd9x wrote

I'm not aware that they ever had one for whitegoods. The most I've ever heard was ten, now an optional 5 in the US, but they still do twenty years build tests and guarantee parts availability for ten.

ConsistentPhoto7867 t1_iwxebj4 wrote

I have two homes, two heat pump dryers: one is a Miele T1 (TDB230WP), the other is an LG (RH90V5AV6Q). The LG is just better. It actually dries clothes on the first go, whereas with the Miele sometimes I have start another cycle. The Miele has a sponge you need to wash every once in a while, the LG cleans itself. The filter sponge is always clogged before the machine actually warns you to clean it. It only counts the number of cycles it did since the last cleaning, so it becomes pretty much random after a while.

The Miele never seems to know how much is left from the program, as it tries to "intelligently' update the remaining time, but it always fails to estimate it right. The LG always knows and its always dry on the first go.

Take it from me, because it's hard to admit after forking out all that money for the Miele. The LG was maybe half the price of the Miele. From what I can tell, it is also built more solid than the Miele. Using the T1 always feels like it is the cheapest Miele, and indeed it is, so they let themselves use more plastics.

Also with my T1 I couldn't change the opening direction of the door, on the LG it took maybe 10 minutes.

I am not saying the Miele is bad, but I do prefer using the LG. Also the one you ordered is a higher-end model.

Worth to mention that in terms of longevity, I am not sure, as both machines are fairly new 2-4 years old. It's true that one of my washing machines is a Miele and it is 15 years old, never had an issue.

javaavril t1_iwy3q45 wrote

When was that? But you said "lifetime" and that's why you were no longer interested in them. They build for twenty, but you said they used to guarantee for life. What is your source?

How many Miele appliances do you own that you are upset about no longer having a lifetime warranty?