Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZenoofElia t1_iww5vwv wrote

Columbia > than LL or Carthartt as far as quality, customer service and warranty and they're having really good BF sales right now. This is a no-brainer.

Good hunting!

daHollerBoy t1_iwwqxue wrote

I'll disagree about LL Bean vs Columbia from my experience, but for the masses both are quite good. Agree about Carhartt; not as durable or warm as I expected.

ZenoofElia t1_iwwt5aq wrote

LL Bean no longer guarantees for life, only for one year I believe.

Columbia's warranty/guarantee is for life and is thus far superior.

daHollerBoy t1_iwwtuzv wrote

Good point. I've found the Bean stuff to be more livable day-to-day with better features. I've never disliked a Bean product but found Columbia coats to be irritating. Uninsulated pockets, scratchy velcro, crummy zipper flap. Limited data set so YMMV

ZenoofElia t1_iwwusli wrote

At one time, not too many years ago, I swore by LL Bean and was a loyal customer. Their quality has since diminished and they dropped their lifetime guarantee.

I was not a Columbia fan until a few weeks ago from responding to a post here on this sub. I had an old Columbia raincoat that I had recently replaced with a used Patagonia because so many folks raved about their quality and warranty. Someone in a thread informed me about Columbia's warranty so I made a claim with my 10+ yo tattered raincoat that I paid $70 for in 2011.

Columbia credited me $235 that I used to buy 2 new coats, which arrived today. I'm now a big fan and proponent of their brand.

[deleted] OP t1_iww650n wrote

[deleted]

ZenoofElia t1_iww794v wrote

I don't as of yet. I'm just now opening a package with 2 new coats that I got because I warrantied a 10+ yo raincoat.

These are what I chose and am unpacking now, both hooded and on sale:
Barlow Pass 550 TurboDown Jacket
M Grindstone Loop 650 Turbodown Hooded

[deleted] OP t1_iww7or3 wrote

[deleted]

ZenoofElia t1_iww9sgj wrote

I got XL's and was concerned that I din't get tall because I have long arms. Usually in button up shirts I wear xxl because of the arms. These both fit really well. I tried them both on with and without a hoodie underneath to make sure they were big enough and the fit is spot on.

The Barlow Pass is awesome and a great deal, the Grindstone is kind of basic yet fully functional I'm sure, only 2 side pockets. The Barlow has a lot of pockets and the furry hood, I'm stoked and hope it gets cold enough to take advantage of it.

I chose them both because they're both down lined, so very light yet warm.