Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Funemployment629 t1_iy0ecuz wrote

Flexsteel

Blueporch t1_iy0kb04 wrote

Agree - my Flexsteel couch and loveseat are 25+ years old. No cushion sagging or distortion of any kind - the shape is like new.

Just go for a classic upholstery option that won’t look dated in 20 years.

terremoto25 t1_iy9q81f wrote

Agreed - ours was custom built and made of hardwood. About 15 years old. Microfiber cover because cats and kids, which should be re-done, but still looks pretty good.

CrispyBananaPeel t1_iyb8wci wrote

Flexsteel furniture today is much lower quality than 30 years ago. Search the name in the popular furniture forums for more details.

redbucket75 t1_iy0hznt wrote

If you're looking for BIFL, head to a commercial furniture store (where they sell the couches in bank lobbies and the such).

jeffreyd00 t1_iy0ladi wrote

And buy the oldest one that is too heavy to lift and get it recovered.

ukanuk t1_iy13ho8 wrote

But have you ever sat in a comfy one?

Flat_Violinist_8232 t1_iy4tok3 wrote

I work at a furniture dealership and comfortable commercial furniture does indeed exist. There’s so many options out there but in my experience National Collette has been the most “resimercial” for comfort and look.

I have a lot of commercial furniture in my home. My next purchase will be the Gunlocke Calm sofa with a soft velvet type upholstery that is also bleach cleanable. I will never have to replace that sofa and honestly I’ll pass down to my kids.

Unfortunately you do have to work through someone like me at a dealership, but it’s all incredible quality.

unbuklethis t1_iya0jx0 wrote

Name a few commercial furniture store(s).

Flat_Violinist_8232 t1_iya1mxf wrote

Kimball, National, Gunlocke, OFS, Allsteel, HBF, Stylex, Steelcase, MillerKnoll, etc.

However, majority of their product you cannot purchase direct and need to find your local dealership.

Design Within Reach purchases some commercial pieces in bulk and then you can buy directly from them, but your limited on what they have in stock.

Isitharry t1_iy1uxsz wrote

Personally, I like Stickley but it’s $$$. I stepped down a little and went with Ethan Allen.

Lunaroska t1_iy86pdb wrote

Floyd Home. Made in Detroit. I have had my sofa w/chaise for over two years. It breaks down easily to move, is high enough to get a vacuum under it, and the fabric is durable and easy to clean. I live with 3 cats and you wouldn't know it. It is also super comfortable to sit and sleep on.

fib16 t1_iy22p8e wrote

I think a great way is to find a woodworker in your area. They will make you awesome furniture. It won’t be cheap but it will absolutely last for life, you would be supporting them, and they’ll make you anything you want which will make it a one if a kind piece of furniture.

sonyneha t1_iy26a2l wrote

RoWe we had ours custom made with them 10 years ago 3 kids later still our favorite couch. worth every penny

l0g4rithm t1_iy6njdw wrote

Interior define. High quality custom furniture. Request all of the samples and then more. They have various material types that could fit your needs. We went with one of their performance velvet colors that was rugged and cleaned well for having young kids and a dog. It is awesome. They have dozens of types so seriously order every single one.

https://www.interiordefine.com

pkluree t1_iy9ms6m wrote

Bernhardt

johonnamarie t1_iyacnqk wrote

Arhaus, specifically the Baldwin. I've had my couch 5 years, looks new. Mom's had hers 15, looks the same as mine. Both are white. Mom's cushions are a little more settled than mine, but's it had daily use for longer. People only sit on my couch once a week.

Cover is removable and you can throw it in the washer. I dumped a can of coke down the side of mom's couch 10 years ago, can't tell. I got spaghetti on mine and didn't see it for a few days, came out like a champ.

You can get new slipcovers whenever from in stock fabric or have a custom one so you can change the look whenever (FYI not all custom covers are washable).

They are more expensive (I paid 3k years ago) as far as furniture goes, but man we are both thrilled with the couches construction, longevity and comfort.

RespectmyauthoriT t1_iy1stnd wrote

Mayo furniture is good and has been around for awhile

Muncie4 t1_iy39b13 wrote

You've gotten some advice so far. If you want advice that makes all the advice here it's bitch: https://thisendup.com/furniture/sofas/

BernieDharma t1_iyb2icz wrote

I had no idea they were still in business! They were my original furniture 35 years ago, gave it all to my sister when I moved out of State and she still has it and uses it.

Great stuff!

brempt14 t1_iy0vjas wrote

Lovesac

−3

ProbablNotMyRealName t1_iy1hqcw wrote

Seriously looking at this. How’s the actual durability?

brempt14 t1_iy28ln7 wrote

I’ve had a “sactional” for 3 years. My 75 lb dog jumps on and off it all the time, and my wife games almost every morning on it. We spent lock down on it, and many family have slept on it. It’s still as good as the day we brought it home. We bought it because my dog wrecked two couches beforehand and we wanted something that we could wash easily and replace parts ourselves if needed. However besides washing the covers, we haven’t even had to consider replacing anything. There used to be a life time warranty. But I’m not sure if it still stands. I didn’t get the bells and whistles. I only focused on the couch being an actual couch, and it is the one item in my house that I’m always thankful my wife and I agreed to buy it.

*edited to specify piece of furniture

SuccessfulStandard25 t1_iy2ima2 wrote

Just found this sub, and had to comment because we have a Lovesac Sactional! 5 kids (7 & under) plus 2 large, shed-crazy dogs. It’s been almost 4 years and looks brand new still.

We haven’t had to replace any covers or pieces yet, but customer service was very helpful for my sister whose dog scratched hers (crazy digger). Obviously haven’t put it to super long-term use yet (8-10+ years), but it’s met many pukes, spilled bottles and juice cups, pen and slime attacks, and fared exceedingly well. We’ve moved houses, and I’m constantly rearranging our furniture as our 3 youngest have been born and grow more, and the structural versatility is priceless to me, and I’ve yet to damage it. Highly recommend upgrading the fill to Lovesoft or Down (what we have) if you like cushy, the difference is significant compared to standard, and the down has held up so well for us without sagging.