Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Vile-X t1_j0r7djr wrote

Salt does not matter if it’s ground fresh, if you want save one from the unnecessary wear and tear.

Dwev t1_j0rba0w wrote

The salt grinder generally is a different mechanical design than the pepper, specifically for salt.

capresesaladz t1_j0rhtbk wrote

Bingo! The salt grinder mechanism is ceramic, the pepper one is some type of metal, probably SS.

nobuhok t1_j0ro7ef wrote

...why not save in the manufacturing process and just make them both in stainless steel??

captain_flak t1_j0rofby wrote

Because the stainless steel ones would rust to nothing pretty quickly.

nobuhok t1_j0ropvl wrote

How would salt promote rust without the presence of water? (genuine question)

captain_flak t1_j0rq26a wrote

If you lived in a humid environment, that would do it. If you ever got water on the bottom, which could very easily happen in a kitchen, that would do it as well. Also, it wouldn’t have to rust through, just deteriorate the blade such that it wouldn’t work correctly.

SerpentDrago t1_j0tyn2r wrote

What magical place do you live in that doesn't have moisture in the air. Especially moisture next to a stove where water is in steam form half the time

YourDentist t1_j0rpvy3 wrote

Uhm I feel we are ignoring the elephant in the room here, guys. How is stainless steel going to rust?

−17

wrathek t1_j0rs1mo wrote

Stainless isn’t rust proof. It’s just quite rust resistant.

SerpentDrago t1_j0typhy wrote

Nothing is rust proof. Some things are rust resistant

loulan t1_j0sgctm wrote

I thought stainless means the steel cannot rust.

captain_flak t1_j0t0wfm wrote

No, kind of a misnomer. Almost all stainless steel can rust depending on chromium content.

RustySnail420 t1_j0uulxw wrote

Stainless, less-stain, not no-stain. But yeah, much more rust-resistant than other ironbased metals.

keenansmith61 t1_j0r7zd6 wrote

If it doesn't matter, then why break up the set? Who needs two pepper mills and a salt shaker that doesn't match?

MeinScheduinFroiline t1_j0ra20r wrote

I like to have one grinder that is just regular pepper and a second that also has chilies and other spices in it.

RaXha t1_j0rddyg wrote

One mill for black pepper and one for white pepper. 🤷‍♂️

Vile-X t1_j0r8cmg wrote

It’s just unnecessary work, wear and tear on the grinder. If you want to grind salt to have a matched pair, great. Im just letting anyone who doesn’t know that you don’t have to grind salt yourself.

aflockofbleeps t1_j0r8n65 wrote

Thank you for saving me from the back breaking work of grinding salt.

core_al t1_j0rhfrg wrote

The real LPT is in the comments.

daeedorian t1_j0s1pwy wrote

The main purpose of a salt grinder is to be able to control the grain size.

SerpentDrago t1_j0tyvwy wrote

Exactly. And to not have to worry about salt clumping

FormulaBass t1_j0rnel1 wrote

Salt grinder comes in handy for humid climates where the salt can clump.

CeruleanRuin t1_j0syor2 wrote

Also, 'artisanal' salts like Himalayan pink often come in large grains and need grinding. I don't personally believe they're really appreciably different from what you get in a canister of Morton's, but but some people swear by them.

SerpentDrago t1_j0tys7i wrote

It's not so much about it being pink salt. It's more to do with a grind. That's less fine than a thing of mortons

Quail-a-lot t1_j0rvsn1 wrote

It keeps my salt from clumping since I like using sea salt or pickling salt without the anti-caking stuff in it. I always find the rice grains or whatnot other tricks kind of annoying in my climate and ineffective.

sponge_welder t1_j0s4xit wrote

I think it's been pretty much proven that rice grains don't really do anything to prevent clumping other than helping break up clumps mechanically, so that backs up your experience

Luxpreliator t1_j0sh5az wrote

It gives the option for coarse or fine salt in one vessel. It doesn't release oils or anything but it's nice to have. They're typically ceramic grinders so there is no wear to speak of.

Biebs53 t1_j0u0klv wrote

I had this same opinion but I've discovered a good reason for using grinders for salt: You know exactly much salt you put on different meals. For example: 3 twists for coffee, 8 for oatmeal, etc...