Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

waehrik t1_iz23qr6 wrote

In true BIFL fashion I have to suggest something completely different: can you install a cold water tap next to your faucet? Drilling a hole is cheap, even if you have a cabinet shop do it. With the tap installed (~$25, DIY) you have a ton of choices in filters to run from the equivalent of a pitcher filter all the way up to a multi stage RO.

Not only do you get a lot more choices and the option for better quality, but the filters last a LOT longer and are much cheaper. $45 will get you a single stage filter good for 4000 gallons. And you can go up from there if you have specific minerals or contaminants that you need to remove. Then if you're using it for drinking/cooking water only it will last many years.

stchrysostom OP t1_iz243le wrote

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, because I rent, I can’t take advantage of this option.

waehrik t1_iz24m93 wrote

In that case honestly just connect it to your cold water line on your sink. It's a little more wasteful since all of your cold water gets filtered including for hand washing, but it's not that much of a difference if you're not going to be there long term anyways. The filter just splices in so you can easily revert it when you move out.