Submitted by stchrysostom t3_zdkymb in BuyItForLife

I’m tired of junky, poorly designed filtered water pitchers. You know, the kind that leak, break easily, and spill everywhere when pouring. Are there any of excellent quality and construction out there?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ICGraham t1_iz2t5jl wrote

If you are a homeowner, I highly recommend buying an Reverse Osmosis (RO) Filter instead. The water is more "purified" and tastes notably better than the water from our Brita filter.

CodeTheStars t1_iz4j4ft wrote

I second this. Just make sure you get or add a “remineralization” filter to the end of the system before the faucet. RO filters are so good at filtering they produce nearly distilled water void of any ions or minerals. ( terrible for making coffee )… and not super great for you.

Even if the device you get comes with one… add another one to the end of the chain!

sullinsjb t1_iz5eaem wrote

Interesting. Any recommendations?

CodeTheStars t1_izatam6 wrote

I installed a “Home Master Artesian” system at my house which included reminerialization and PH balancing….. honestly quite affordable systems for the quality.

You can also source a cheaper RO setup and add remineralization to it. Just search remineralization filter and those will come up. “Waterdrop” makes a popular one.

ICGraham t1_iz8rfjd wrote

I've read that if you take a multi-vitamin, you don't have to worry about the unmineralized water. As for coffee, I haven't noticed that mine is any worse.

waehrik t1_iz23qr6 wrote

In true BIFL fashion I have to suggest something completely different: can you install a cold water tap next to your faucet? Drilling a hole is cheap, even if you have a cabinet shop do it. With the tap installed (~$25, DIY) you have a ton of choices in filters to run from the equivalent of a pitcher filter all the way up to a multi stage RO.

Not only do you get a lot more choices and the option for better quality, but the filters last a LOT longer and are much cheaper. $45 will get you a single stage filter good for 4000 gallons. And you can go up from there if you have specific minerals or contaminants that you need to remove. Then if you're using it for drinking/cooking water only it will last many years.

stchrysostom OP t1_iz243le wrote

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, because I rent, I can’t take advantage of this option.

waehrik t1_iz24m93 wrote

In that case honestly just connect it to your cold water line on your sink. It's a little more wasteful since all of your cold water gets filtered including for hand washing, but it's not that much of a difference if you're not going to be there long term anyways. The filter just splices in so you can easily revert it when you move out.

jeffreyd00 t1_iz2dhsj wrote

Consumer Reports rated the Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter kinda high for $30.

Or you could get the Amway eSpring 10-0188 Water Filter for only $1200. It was rated 94 out of 100. It sits on your counter.