Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Major-Ellwood t1_j0b53y4 wrote

I use Whal Classic Edition. I have had them for years now. They are used by professionals, so not the cheapest. Keep them clean and oiled.

purpleslottedspoon t1_j0bpq4b wrote

Professional here. Good recommendation. Agree more with the maintenance. As long as you treat them well they should absolutely last one user a lifetime.

of_known_provenance t1_j0fjgbg wrote

Second this. Not a professional. But have had enough haircuts to know that this is what the professionals use. Make sure to buy the one where the motor is made in Germany, not just with the blade that is made in Germany. Wahl’s product line can be quite confusing.

mlpdude t1_j0bq5af wrote

I’ve had my Oster Fast Feed Clippers for over a decade. Still going strong and would buy again if I needed.

VanCityBrodie t1_j0bybe5 wrote

Without a doubt the Wall 5 star clipper and Andis T precision trimmer. I’ve had them for 7 years and they show no sign of slowing down. You just have to clean and lubricate them consistently. My barbers have always used them and my current barber has had them for 10 years and uses them all day every day.

FluffNotes t1_j0c1d6e wrote

Wahl. I've had mine for so many decades that I don't remember how long ago I bought them.

Due_Cryptographer630 t1_j0ccjft wrote

Oster pivot motor clippers. Classic series.

More expensive, but the magnetic motor clippers most other brands use do not last long at all.

Basically you want a pair of commercial clippers designed for a barber to use, not simply residential use.

Once every 5 years or so. You can spend $10 to mail the blades for sharpening, learn how to clean/maintain it and they should last you forever.

You may need a detailer clipper as well depending on what you're doing with the hair.

Aurochbull t1_j0cie4q wrote

This is the answer. I've been using Oster Classics for almost 20 years (and home and doing friends/family/co-workers) and they've never skipped a beat.

Due-Operation-708 t1_j0cej8i wrote

I've had Wahl, I've had Remington, and I've had some others. Entry-level models and they all broke down fairly easily, would overheat, and had cheap plastic hardware.

The main thing is just not to buy entry-level models. The best "cheap" one I've had was the Remington HC5850. Easy to clean out the blade section from hair and a much better (and more compact) design than others.

The Wahl Professional 5-Star would be a better choice for BIFL, though.

Alaska_Pipeliner t1_j0cj95p wrote

I bought a $50 pair of oyster. Don't know the brand. But I keep them oiled and they last. That's the key: maintenance!

marty_76 t1_j0atrl3 wrote

Remington. I've also heard good things about Wahl, but I have owned Remington ones for 9 years and they are still going strong. I was just thinking how much money they woulda saved me in that time lol- well worth the $30.

Dizzy_Ad_7622 t1_j0c2b53 wrote

Have you seen the new 'Hair Kippers'. They seem quality.

nahtorreyous t1_j0c6ipd wrote

Andis Professional Cordless Fade Combo

I got this a couple of years ago and use it weekly. Definitely recommend.

-Chris-V- t1_j0f9k9a wrote

Oster classic 76 is a true BIFL item. The design hasn't changed in like 70 years and every component on the clippers is replaceable. They are a pleasure to use. I bought mine to do diy haircuts in the early days of the pandemic and I look forward to using them for the next 50 years. Maybe I can will them to my son.

to_mare_omo_dio_boia t1_j0fuyq5 wrote

I bought the cheapest clippers from Rowenta i could find, they lasted 7/8 years, used 2/3 times a month, never oiled, just properly cleaned after every use, still running