Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

2oldsoulsinanewworld t1_j11npw6 wrote

What we used to do was put a box fan on low a couple feet away from the oil filled heater to hurry up the process sometimes. They are quite slow at warming up a room but a lot more efficient than most electric space heaters and minimal fire risk. If you can keep them on the medium setting are better yet the low extremely efficient.

cjeam t1_j122z9z wrote

How can they be a lot more efficient? They’re still just a resistive heater.

Affectionate-Ad-3578 t1_j12abry wrote

When you add the fan...they aren't.

They are still quiet, put off no light, and won't generally start a fire or burn anyone.

2oldsoulsinanewworld t1_j12s7yr wrote

The fan was only for speeding up the process for getting the room up to temperature after it's up to temperature they don't need it.

Affectionate-Ad-3578 t1_j130eds wrote

I stand by my comment.

Forty_Too t1_j1860ti wrote

It helps more effectively move energy around the room, meaning you might need less heat to feel warm on the other side of the room. But the efficiency is still the same. They’re both 100% efficient. You can only get higher by using like a heat pump.

Affectionate-Ad-3578 t1_j1rbmas wrote

I just put the heat where I need it so I can use less.

I'm counting the energy use of the fan as a loss, but yes, they're both 100% efficient. We're in total agreement on that. Cheers.

Forty_Too t1_j1sdheg wrote

Fans actually not a loss either. The loss is in heat which this case is the desired effect!

Bananachips1300 t1_j12an4i wrote

Yep. Booth are 100% efficient and the only electric products that can be 100% efficient. The oil ones might be perceived as more efficient because they keep letting off heat once turned off, so the room doesn’t cool as quickly after use.

2oldsoulsinanewworld t1_j12s2ts wrote

Thermodynamics dude...

Bananachips1300 t1_j19vv4a wrote

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or contradicting me.

If you agree, ignore this, if not, here’s the explanation:

Electric heaters are the only things that are 100% efficient. All other devices lose energy by putting off heat. A motor turns but coils heat up for example so that’s wasted energy. A heaters purpose is to convert electric energy to thermal energy. There’s no other form of energy that it puts off as waste.

2oldsoulsinanewworld t1_j12s64z wrote

Yes they are a resistive heater but how the energy transfer takes place is what gives them an advantage.

−1