Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kahuna_44 t1_j6dmucw wrote

None. Pelican or nothing

FiddleTheFigures t1_j6dwadk wrote

This.

But spring for the light (Pelican Air I think) or maybe no wheels. The added weight of the wheels (along with the extendable handle) really adds a lot. I think you’d save enough on shipping to justify carrying vs wheeling especially since this won’t be traveling often.

Edit: added name of the light versions

Blake198624601 t1_j6dmytk wrote

I have no advice but am very intrigued about what type of championship the trophy is for.

bootscallahan OP t1_j6dp7wi wrote

It's for a 17-year-old fantasy football league that we started together as soldiers in Iraq. Twice in the past five years, our current resin trophy (the top one, the Tenequer Memorial Trophy) was damaged during shipping. Now, we're ponying up for a legit Lombardi Trophy replica (but with our logo and name on it) affixed to a solid wood base with engraving plates for 32 different seasons (so we still have 14 years before we need to think about expansion). The common trophies available online are painted resin; our new trophy will be hand-crafted metal. The common trophy bases included with the painted resin trophies are MDF and the paint (or glaze or laminate, whatever it is) is constantly chipping and making it look cheap and beat up. Our new base will be solid wood that is stained rather than painted. Between the base and the topper, we're looking at $700+, so we want to protect it. This league is how we all keep in touch, so we are confident it will last for years to come and we want our trophies to as well.

AutoModerator t1_j6dkrl4 wrote

Hello /u/bootscallahan! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

jwatt38 t1_j6dnawa wrote

Yea you landed on it. Pelican or pelican like cases are gonna be the best bet. The other option you can search is “gig case” or “road case”. Those are used in the music world. Those are the options. Look at any pro that travels with any expensive anything, it’s gonna be pelican or road cases. In regards to shipping, yea, that’s right, just build that cost into the operation now. I worked in shipping for 8 years, don’t cheap on important stuff.

Lentamentalisk t1_j6dpwfh wrote

Pelican does have a line of "air" cases that are slightly lighter, if that's what's kicking you over the price limit. But they're not a ton lighter. Also, go for a case without wheels to save a bit more weight.

calmdowndearsir t1_j6dujtz wrote

See if you can purchase MAX cases in the US. I use them in the U.K. for transporting expensive tools and the quality is superior to Pelican cases (better hinges/better latches).

For your purposes “pick and pluck” foam would be sufficient for protection.

kukasdesigns t1_j6dum46 wrote

Check out Foama cases. They’re a Canadian company that make laser cut foam inserts for hard cases. I have some for carrying cameras and lenses; full confidence in them to protect my gear.

LongTimeLurker818 t1_j6e3q5l wrote

Harbor Freight makes an affordable knock off of pelican called Apache. They do a perfectly good job for a much lower price.

bootscallahan OP t1_j6e512r wrote

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. It's unfortunate they don't have one in the size we need. They have one that could be perfect if it had just a little more depth.

LongTimeLurker818 t1_j6eqkn6 wrote

They make a bunch of sizes. But yeah a road case might be the move then. I think you could buy the foam separately and use a ridged suitcase, if you wanted a cheaper option.

motaash t1_j6ee4ao wrote

You can buy a used Pelican 1620 from this site for half the price. A couple of months ago you were able to apply promo code "PELICAN50" making it $75 w/ shipping. The code no longer appears to be valid. Kind of wishing I would have bought one at that price. They were previously designed for medical devices. Here's the link for the site and the reddit post I found the case from:

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/protective-storage-cases/protective-pelican-case-black/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/comments/zdt9gz/accessories_pelican_1620_case_with_small/