Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BallsOutKrunked t1_j6iiaql wrote

I had a SanDisk clip that I liked a lot. I used it in the gym and running because it was tiny and didn't bounce around and need thoughtful concern like a phone.

But anything with a battery is inherently not BIFL. But I certainly got my money's worth.

electric_shocks t1_j6ikpj1 wrote

You are describing an Ipod Nano.

scissorseptorcutprow t1_j6io1nn wrote

They’re still in demand and still great! Someone stole mine out of my car, but I still have my back up!

tookerken t1_j6iihpx wrote

Look up phones that are a generation or two out of date.

Last gen Samsung or pixel. Something like that.

MonstahButtonz t1_j6im492 wrote

Came here to say this. Especially one with an SD card slot. Maybe like a Galaxy Note 10+

Issue is those aren't compact.

frankcountry t1_j6iowr3 wrote

Wouldn’t it be a little bulky and quicker battery drain for an mp3 player?

BallsOutKrunked t1_j6ippss wrote

Yeah I run with my phone sometimes but it's more complicated. Notifications can come through if you forget to disable them, the battery life is much shorter than a dedicated mp3 player, and you need some form of holder to keep it from bouncing everywhere.

MonstahButtonz t1_j6iz214 wrote

>Notifications can come through if you forget to disable them

There won't be any notifications if it's a used phone with no SIM card or CDMA set up.

BallsOutKrunked t1_j6izxcr wrote

If you want to run with a phone, run with a phone.

MonstahButtonz t1_j6j086j wrote

OP didn't say it was for running.

It's 2023. Having a dedicated MP3 player when you inevitably have a phone with you also is pretty counterintuitive and thus why they aren't commonly produced anymore.

MonstahButtonz t1_j6iywa9 wrote

More bulky, yes, but the battery drain is pretty slow if just using for music, and you have the benefit of wifi and apps where you can run Spotify/Pandora/Podcasts, etc if you're somewhere with wifi access, or can run the apps in offline mode.

complywood t1_j6kd7qs wrote

Yes, though if you set a phone in airplane mode, the battery lasts a lot longer. Wireless connectivity is probably the biggest power drain next to screen brightness and gps.

edcculus t1_j6j2tni wrote

Honestly id look for an older iPod or iPod nano. I think pretty much every iPod in existence will always be supported in iTunes unless you are just allergic to using iTunes.

Apparently Zunes also have a cult following and are great little players.

Krakkey t1_j6imv05 wrote

I've had luck with fiio, my first gen x1 is going on 7 years now.

thebrownaron t1_j6j8igk wrote

I've used FiiO MP3 players in the past, and the lower priced oned work great, even after many years. Small as an Ipod, and great battery life.

I only stopped using them, when we switched to Spotify/streaming.

Maybe consider a smart watch? You could gather useful data about your run and play music too.

misterjive t1_j6k52wy wrote

I have a Sandisk that I use for walks, and I bought it because it's pretty much the only standalone mp3 player that'll play Audible audiobooks. I'm very happy with it.

(I even bought a single-ear earphone for spatial awareness cause I'm weird.)

TimTheEnchanter623 t1_j6l6npv wrote

Just got a Sandisk Clip Jam and love it. Paid about $30 for a refurb model, no issues with it. Bonus - the radio on it works great!

AutoModerator t1_j6ihjcq wrote

Hello /u/GingerSoulsMatter! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Mysterious_Remote491 t1_j6k5je1 wrote

I would get something with Bluetooth. Probably more than half the headphone and earbuds on the market are Bluetooth right now, so you might as well be future proof. If it were me, id probably find a fitness watch since I’m assuming you are using it for exercise anyway.

Flossthief t1_j6kaudb wrote

You can get old ipod classics on eBay and put a new hard drive in them

The new hard drives are larger tok

Grim226 t1_j6ln9bw wrote

Most Digital Audio Players now are hi-fi oriented. The current gen baseline sony walkman starts around 350-400 USD. Is part of the reasoning behind this that you like wired headphones? Have you considered getting a Xperia phone and reduce the amount of devices you need? Maybe check out the Shanling M0 Pro. Its the cheapest good quality dedicated player I know of.

​

Edit: one last thing, anything with a battery built it inherently has a limited lifespan. expect 2 to 5 years max

spamfodder t1_j6lsnip wrote

I've use the various models of Clip family for maybe 15 years. The 3.5mm jack doesn't fail.

Good service life if you don't run it thru clothes washer-dryer. One of the new one is IPX5.

Huh? ...cover art? I start it and then dump it into my pocket.

Rockbox-able.