Submitted by eyelinerandicecream t3_117ssm9 in BuyItForLife

So I only like to sleep on linen bedsheets. About 2.5 years ago I bought two sets of linen bedsheets from Lands End. They both now have holes in the fitted sheets. I’m so annoyed. I spent about $400 for my two sets … which works out to about $3.85 per week.

What linen sheets do you recommend that lasts well over 2 years? I am willing to save money to buy them if they are very expensive but last extremely long.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j9dnva8 wrote

Linen sheets for the most part will wear out faster than cotton

[deleted] t1_j9drxbw wrote

[deleted]

−14

stereolithography t1_j9dt411 wrote

You might find this interesting

Muncie4 t1_j9es5b0 wrote

Oh, data to support a claim...we love you!

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9dtjx5 wrote

Thanks! I’ll have to figure out how to reduce abrasion when I buy my next set of sheets.

stereolithography t1_j9dvlre wrote

More mild detergents (grey water recycling detergents, specifically Oasis, are great for this) and hang drying, when an option, help a lot.

1plus1dog t1_j9evh2f wrote

Also, I’ve learned that using fabric softeners does much more harm to any material than good. White vinegar is recommended as it’s a softening agent, and if anyones worried about the vinegar smell, it disappears, and is so much better for washers and dryers, keeping them much cleaner because fabric softeners made for laundry leave a film on both your laundry and your appliances that keeps building up over time.

KittyLikesTuna t1_j9fbed2 wrote

I switched to white vinegar years and years ago and never looked back.

1plus1dog t1_j9fym64 wrote

Same with me, along with baking soda, too. I use them both for so many things, and can’t imagine spending so much money on all the “newest, latest and greatest things”, seen in commercials everyday.

Pingasandminge t1_j9ep1k7 wrote

Look into reducing your abrasive personality while you’re at it

−6

auphymo t1_j9dtj7f wrote

I found that using flat sheets (and tucking them under mattress) instead of fitted sheets make them last longer. Heavier gsm is also best for durability. Linoto has some heavier denser linen sheets that will last far longer than Lands End / Pottery Barn. Other options are Etsy shops (LinaPlusHome has some amazing Italian woven linen sheets)

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9du7qu wrote

I have checked out Linoto. (I found it by searching for sheets on this subreddit but still decided to post since there wasn’t a dedicated post to just linen sheets). Someone posted that theirs have lasted seven years so far. At the current price it comes out to about $1.10 per week; that’s a much better deal then my current ones even though they are twice the price.

I’ll check out the Etsy brand as well.

Thank you for the recs.

Edit: Also now that I still have two flat sheets I can start using one as a bottom sheet. Guess I can get some more life out of the current ones I have.

asheabutter t1_j9h9if8 wrote

I purchased the Linoto set and was hugely disappointed. They ripped less than a year after owning. The company did not fix the issue and told me it was because i did not line dry them after every wash. I would absolutely not recommend using them as the quality is no longer there.

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9h9yid wrote

Oh wow! Thank you for the heads up. Yeah, I’m not always able to line dry. I do always tumble dry on the lowest setting if I can’t but I would be very disappointed in spending that money and them not doing anything about it because I can’t always line dry. 😬

5spd4wd t1_j9drnp9 wrote

Vintage ones if you bed is no larger than a full/double size. They knew how to make quality long-lasting sheets back in the day.

nderflow t1_j9eate1 wrote

More likely, the inferior products they also made back in the day have long since been thrown away. The good ones remain.

5spd4wd t1_j9ebsrh wrote

I'm old enough to remember buying sheets myself back in those days. There weren't the hundreds of brands like there today. There maybe a dozen or so name brands. They were all made in the U.S at the big cotton mills that exited then. They didn't turn out inferior quality. Things made then were made to last. Of course things such as sheets and towels would wear out eventually but it took the many years, being always washed in the hottest water, often with bleach.

Fabrics in those days were nothing like the throwaway stuff of today

Kedarelona t1_j9f2bcl wrote

They soon learned if they made things to last, people wouldn’t be back to buy more any time soon. It’s gross how the throw away quality of everything is by design. Gotta keep profit margins up.

complywood t1_j9hit92 wrote

Following this line of logic, I think small shops are the only ones with aligned incentives. A single person or small team is never going to run out of people to sell to, provided they can ship far enough. Of course just being a small shop isn't a guarantee of quality. Probably the opposite— there's a lot more variability between good and bad between small shops, or even between different batches from the same shop. But at least the possibility is there. So I guess that points to… something like etsy? Or local, if it exists in your area.

Blastercorps t1_j9id2qk wrote

Other way around, this is what consumers demand. People have become less cost tolerant. They will buy crap if it's a buck cheaper. Companies that make long lasting stuff go out of business because no one buys their more expensive products. The rhetoric of planned obsolescence is blaming the wrong people.

Kedarelona t1_j9ieqi0 wrote

Interesting take. I bought the most expensive fridge for quality. 3 years later it stops cooling. I called to have it repaired and was basically laughed at and told 3-5 years is about right for a fridge. Meanwhile my 30 year old olive colored one in the basement still purrs like a kitten.

Blastercorps t1_j9iez2u wrote

Which fridge?

Also, when it comes to refrigerators there have been such advancements in efficiency that even 3-5 years you'll still save money on a new one. Which is my focus in BIFL, buy it good once or cheap over and over.

MrThorn1887 t1_j9f0g6c wrote

There is a Finnish brand called Finlayson they have a range called Jesus bed linen made out of linnen, which have a 50yr warranty on them. Check that out

MonaMayI t1_j9enlfr wrote

I have a linen set from west elm that’s about 8 years old and still excellent. Rotating 2 sets from parachute now that are about 2 years old and pristine. Wash on cooler water when you’re not dealing with a stain or post sickness, dry on a low setting or line dry if possible. Also worth reaching out to lands end. They may replace for you even outside of warranty for manufacturing defect. Edit: typo

1plus1dog t1_j9eq231 wrote

All excellent advice, and calling customer service for Lands End, (or anyone), for that matter, doesn’t cost a dime and can prove to be very worthwhile time spent. If not, at least you’ve tried!

jmorx3 t1_j9hmgm1 wrote

Do you have the links to which exact ones you have from west elm and parachute? Or the names of the to search? Thanks!!

MonaMayI t1_j9hrsje wrote

It was just their 100% linen sheets. Mine are white.

MiddleTomatillo t1_j9e8plf wrote

I’ve been happy with both Brooklinen and Parachute linen sheets. They have a good warranty and customer service if you think they’re wearing out faster than they should.

starmanwaiting t1_j9f5uhy wrote

Check out Buffy’s “hemp linen” sheets. Hemp fibers woven to mimic the feel of linen. Hemp doesn’t crimp like linen, doesn’t experience nearly the same fiber loss as linen or cotton, and is far more abrasion resistant. Overall, I’ve been very happy with them. Slept on them for at least a couple years nightly.

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9fut0x wrote

Oh, I’ve never heard of hemp linen. I will check them out. I hope they are as wicking as linen (or better). I am like a furnace at night when I sleep.

Thank you for the rec.

starmanwaiting t1_j9gq3v6 wrote

Same here. In my experience they’ve been about the same. Slightly less neutral in temp to the touch during the winter… but I also have a purple mattress, and the top gel layer of that gets very cold.

SimpleVegetable5715 t1_j9e1icw wrote

Is your washing machine okay? Seems like a short amount of time to wear through any sheets.

1plus1dog t1_j9esiqb wrote

Good point. This can make a huge difference

nosenseinnonsense t1_j9e425n wrote

Probably not the advice you are looking for, but I know a lot of people use a cotton bottom sheet with a linen top sheet just for this reason.

If you want to decrease your price per week you could also shop sales. Discount stores like Nordstrom rack, HomeGoods, Marshalls, tj Maxx, etc sell discounted linen sheets. I just got a king size linen sheet set for $70 and if the bottom sheet lasts 2 years that is less than $1 a week. After that I can likely just replace the fitted sheet if I decide I want to stick with linen.

Otherwise I've read that the average time for a high quality (thicker) linen bottom sheet is around 5 years if you take really good care of it (hang dry) and rotate it. I've heard good things about magic linen. Good luck! This just seems to be the nature of linen based on what I've read.

nderflow t1_j9eagky wrote

Would it help to buy toenail clippers?

1plus1dog t1_j9equac wrote

This is a genuinely good point!

Not having said this could be OP’s problem, it’s a common problem, along with any kind of roughness on anyones feet.

📍I’ve got to add to this by saying that I’ve got restless leg (and feet) syndrome, which has caused my sheets excessive wear and tare the last several years. Nails being nicely trimmed, it’s still very likely to happen. When I finally realized that’s what caused my sheet problem it was such an “AHA moment” for me!

simonsays456 t1_j9eqodi wrote

So, I had the same experience with linen sheets. I bought a buttery soft set from coyuchi. Pricey but so comfortable. Had holes within two years.

From my research, anything that is very soft has been “stone-washed’. Which is essentially aging the sheets to make them softer. If you want sheets that will last they need to be untreated. They will also feel like a burlap sack for a while.

I bought a set from morrow soft goods. They are considerably thicker than the coyuchi ones. Have had them about year with no holes. They were not nearly as soft but have worn in well. I like them.

1plus1dog t1_j9eu5ri wrote

OP, I mentioned the following below in a reply to someone mentioning good toe nail clippers, because I’ve personally had a related problem below ⬇️

📍I’ve got to add to this by saying that I’ve got restless leg (and feet) syndrome, which has caused my sheets excessive wear and tare the last several years. Nails being nicely trimmed, it’s still very likely to happen. When I finally realized that’s what caused my sheet problem it was such an “AHA moment” for me!

Also, OP, someone mentioned using flat sheets vs fitted in the comments. I’ve not done any research myself, but I have a friend who’s been self employed in the cleaning business over 30 years now, who’s told me hotels etc, use flat sheets only (as does she), because the ware and tare is so much less than using fitted sheets.

When thinking about what she’d told me years ago, i can only recall having noticed that housekeeping uses flat sheets only when making beds, typically using two flat sheets on the mattress itself in such a way that they stay put, and last longer

Kitchen_Television_6 t1_j9f50p8 wrote

I’ve had really good luck with west elm bedding. We have a single set for our bed, which means we wash jt 52 times a year and sleep on it 365 days a year and it lasts us about 3 years before the holes start coming

Sasquatch-fu t1_j9dreqt wrote

Not sure there are any sheets that last a lifetime. Best I’ve gotten is out of super high thread count and having a lot of sets but still not buy it for life status. Even synthetic will break down eventually, can’t stand the feel personally tho.

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9dz251 wrote

Yeah, agreed that sheets are not a once in a lifetime purchase. Just looking for some quality linen sheets that I don’t have to worry about rebuying every other year.

I can’t stand the feel of synthetic sheets against my skin either. I only buy linen sheets because it feels the best against my skin and if I’m gonna spend a third of my life in bed then I’m gonna buy what feels the best to me.

1plus1dog t1_j9es6vz wrote

When you do narrow it down to a few comparable sets, always read the reviews if buying on line, or in stores for that matter. I’ve also learned that some with the highest number of reviews and sales, are often not accurate when reviews can vary to opposite extremes. Have also learned to filter for the most recent reviews, since it’s most likely there’s been an improvement, (or decline), in many products from good brands as well as lesser known brands.

I’ve spent so much time reading reviews on sheets and other essential items, always wanting to get the best quality at the most reasonable price for quality items.

I also always write reviews for items I love and why, as well as those I do not, and why, oftentimes posting photos or short videos, too. (I also recommend watching).

Good luck OP, I understand the struggle!

Sasquatch-fu t1_j9f3lts wrote

Yeah I’m the same way, I’ve found high thread cotton sheets to wear quite nicely, they can seem touch stiff by still luxurious and as they wear they get a really nice feel to them. I shop around at Tuesday morning and marshals and can usually find 1000 count sheets king sized for around 100$ and you get the added bonus of getting to feel them. As a other poster indicated not all are of equal value, and online sales reviewers may not like the same attributes as you do (or be fake reviews)

Muncie4 t1_j9esykn wrote

The holistic answer to your question is there is no answer. There are no metrics of comparison with linen. There are no types of linen. Thread count doesn't mean shit. Brand name doesn't mean shit save for possible warranty claims. So here are your options:

1. Wash them less. Hand wash them. Air dry them.
  2. Find a vendor with a lifetime warranty. One example: https://mellanni.com/collections/shop-all/products/100-flax-linen-bed-sheet-set

r3dcape8 t1_j9gdrd1 wrote

I purchased a set of West Elm european flax linen sheets 2 years ago and theyre holding up just fine even with a small dog that likes to dig into them several times before laying down

kuddelmuddell t1_j9h423x wrote

I really love my Piglet in Bed linen sheets! Have 3 sets of duvet cover, fitted sheets, and pillows. Never noticed an issue with durability.

alwaysFixated t1_j9j4dv1 wrote

I only own two sets of sheets (both linen) and only one set has a flat sheet. I haven't noticed any obvious wear to either over the last ~4 years. I alternate/launder every one to two weeks, and I don't hang dry. And my sheets are just now beginning to soften. That being said, before trying to find a new brand, I'd want to know the root cause of what you're seeing, because what you're describing sounds incredibly unusual. Where are the holes happening? Even if you've been washing your sheets at high heat and high spin, that kind of wear sounds nuts. Where are the holes happening? Are they coming from stitches coming loose at the edges? Near your toes (i.e. perhaps toenails cutting into them?) Where your dog/cat sleeps? Are you soaking stains in bleach? You'll want to know why the holes are happening before spending more money, in my opinion. Also, if they are small holes, I'd just darn and/or patch them in the meantime until you figure out what you want to get next.

DoomPaDeeDee t1_j9krfqf wrote

Modern linen sheets wear out fast. What you can do is use the top sheet for a bottom sheet like people used to do before there were fitted sheets.

Then when the bottom sheet wore out in the middle, they would cut the sheet in half length-wise and sew the good outside edges together in the middle and trim the worn part on the sides and re-hem them.

https://ladykemmanewlinenblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/draft-turning-sheets-sides-to-middle/

Textiles are relatively cheap these days, so people don't even know about tricks like this.

What I do is use linen top sheets only to get the benefit of linen while still enjoying smooth percale bottom sheets and pillowcases. Ditto for flannel in the winter. I really do not like flannel or linen pillowcases at all.

regaphysics t1_j9f5w7q wrote

None of mine have lasted more than 5 years, and that includes linoto and rough linen. I went back to cotton.

HauntedButtCheeks t1_j9gfsix wrote

Make sure you are getting good quality fabric. Durable linen sheets will be thick, tightly woven, & use longer linen fibers.

I've never had sheets wear out or break like that, even the cheapest set I ever bought lasted 4 years. So I wonder how you are washing them? If you have a top loading washer your sheets may be getting wrapped around those awful center agitators and ripping. You may need to try a different gentler setting or just wash them by hand.

Never ever put linen or cotton sheets in a dryer either, hang them to dry if you want them to last. Dryers use heat and heat destroys all types of fabric, but is especially brutal to natural fibers.

LOLARISX t1_j9ghldx wrote

We have been rotating 3 linen bed sets these past 2 years: 2 from Mango Home and 1 from IKEA.

The Mango ones are still going strong am very comfortable. The IKEA set is shot quality but that's just a filler until I find an EU based company with good quality linen set and have saved up enough to upgrade to something real good.

k_paw t1_j9hb1wv wrote

Highly recommend checking out Parachute Home! Also, I'd make sure to wash on warm and line dry to make the fabric last longer! :)

Cilella t1_j9hnubo wrote

Brooklinen all the way

keepmyshirt t1_j9hpyva wrote

I thought lands end had lifetime warranties? What did their customer service say?

medditgirl t1_j9hv48p wrote

linoto! $$$$ but amazing, a black owned small business

cocorego t1_j9i31fi wrote

I don’t recommend Parachute. While I love their style, we had linen sheets that tore after about a year 1/2. I was so sad and disappointed.

QueenMarinette t1_j9l8p7s wrote

I love linen, but it kind of sticks. As a bottom sheet, it would have a tendency to not allow sliding as much as those made from a combination of cotton and poly. I think that a combo sheet on the bottom and a linen top sheet could be perfect. I'm one that uses a flat sheet on the bottom (king size for our queen mattress), because my husband was always pulling fitted sheets out. I also buy vintage sheets off of eBay, and find vintage cotton/poly percale to be the toughest and smoothest, vs. 100% cotton ones. We've had our current bottom sheet for at least 5 years. It's a combo sheet with a Montgomery Ward tag on it, of all things. I think sheets have really taken a dive.

Charlie2Bears t1_j9x95l2 wrote

I've used my set from Restoration Hardware since 2016.

5spd4wd t1_j9ds4uf wrote

I use sheets that I've found a estate sales. Old but new in unopened packages. Women used to buy sheet sets and tuck them away for when they needed them. I'm talking about sheets that were made in the 1950s, 19560s, of 100% natural cotton. These sheets last forever and standup very well to hot water washing.

eyelinerandicecream OP t1_j9ds98p wrote

Thank you for your rec but I am looking for linen sheets not cotton.

Edit: the internet is wild. I ask for recommendations for linen sheets and receive a response about cotton sheets. I politely say thank you and try to steer the conversation back to the item I am interested in, linen sheets, and I get downvoted. Just wild.

5spd4wd t1_j9e2urj wrote

I don't know why you got downvoted but it happens for inexplicable reasons sometimes. Makes no sense.

1plus1dog t1_j9epkp9 wrote

And THAT’S such a shame. It happens so often to so many people, (me included),and makes no sense.

We know that common sense is not something everyone has, and unfortunately many people enjoy attempting to get under others skin, or they simply do not bother to read your post in its entirety, which is pointless to me

Sotus30 t1_j9emidf wrote

I bought very durable bamboo sheets that are suuuper soft. Make sure it’s 100% bamboo rayon or tencel.

Diotima245 t1_j9eyb03 wrote

Redland cotton on my bucket list but I’ve had a number of sheets still going strong over years. I alternate sets from lands end and target.

pepedex t1_j9f2260 wrote

I've never heard of linen sheets. What's the draw? My flannel sheets create a lot dust, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Samvega_California t1_j9dwfrq wrote

Buy cotton percale. I like Redland Cotton. I hear LL Bean also makes a good one.

−2

thatpamchick t1_j9fb9kl wrote

Came here to say this. I used to use linen but once I found percale I was a convert. It lasts longer and is so much smoother on my skin. I haven’t tried LL Bean’s because I love Thomas Lee’s. I figure why keep looking if you’ve found one you love 🤷‍♀️

twentytwothumbs t1_j9dzwa8 wrote

I got some sets of Egyptian cotton sheets like 10-15 years ago and they are at about half life. 1000 thread count are too tight and take several years to get as comfortable as 6-800 thread count but today they could be used as a sail in strong wind they are in such good shape. 800 thread count still beautiful with color fading and are my favorite. 600 serviceable but like the 800 better

−2